1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

uploading php and mysql

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by mcdirector, Sep 26, 2006.

1. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I'm a complete novice with putting things on the server. I want to try a CMS so the teachers can easily change things, but the server doesn't have PHP or MySQL on it.

I have server access, but I don't even know where to start.

Can someone direct me to a site that will walk me through this?
    Can I upload those programs the same way I upload pages onto the website?

Help!

2. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

You would have to have root access in order to install PHP and MySQL. If you do, then yes you can upload it, but then you will have to telnet in and install it. You will have to either find packages for your distribution (assuming linux here) or compile them from source, which is not always a lot of fun. Windows might be easier, but you will still need administrator access. Best option would be finding a host that already offers these features (may be the only option if you don't have root access.) But I would double check with your host, PHP and MySQL is pretty much a default option for most linux installs.

3. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

The school has it's own server (to which I have admin access). It's a Windows 2000.

4. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Well then it shouldn't be hard. You can download a windows executable installer for both. PHP is a little bit different on windows than on linux, but for the most part they are functionally the same.

5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alternatively, there are other options for a CMS than just PHP and MySQL.

There are plenty of free CMS solutions out there, including ASP, XML, and Java.

Unless you're planning on using one of the "standards," like PHP-Nuke.

6. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Don -- everyone I've checked out so far use PHP and MySQL

I went the CMSopensource page -- but there is so much to check out (while I'm teaching, I don't get through much :tongue3: )

What are some CMS that use asp, xml or java? ASP is already loaded on the server. I am happy to do a new search on this, but if you know of one, I'd love to look at it.

----------------------------------

James -- thanks. We are going on a field trip today. I'll visit those links out later.

7. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When/if you get the time, this is where I found references to ASP CMS':

http://hotscripts.com/search/12166154.html

Decent site for PHP, MySQL, Java, XML, etc. scripts as well.

(lot less programming for me to have to worry about; I just take what's already out there, for free, and modify where necessary to meet my needs)

8. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By the way, I recently found this one when I was looking for a "message of the day" script:

http://www.rotatecontent.com/

The Rotating Content Tool

Via this web site, you input how often you want to rotate the content (random, daily, montly, annually), your messages/quotes/data, a few other parameters, and it generates a PHP file for you.

Stumbled across when I was looking for a script that would do a "This Day in Baptist History" message.