1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

US sending 46 warships, 7000 marines to ... Costa Rica

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by asterisktom, Jul 15, 2010.

1. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is hard to believe, but it is true.

Its not surprising that you haven't heard from this. Mainline news sources seem to have been muzzled or maybe see it as not newsworthy (!). You get more coverage on items like Castro smiling (BBC News) or the psychic octopus having a price on its head, but this troop deployment of 7000 Marines & 46 warships is almost totally unreported. But it is true. here are some more sites:
    http://www.insidecostarica.com/dailynews/2010/july/05/costarica10070501.htm
    http://www.insidecostarica.com/dailynews/2010/july/07/costarica10070701.htm
    http://onlinejournal.com/artman/publish/article_6089.shtml

There are a few others too, but not a whole lot.

And, no, I don't like the idea either - on several counts.
    There is something disingenuous about the whole premise. Why would Obama okay a military use for drug war elsewhere but not here in the US?

This is ironically called "Operation Freedom".

The US has had a bad habit historically with underhanded and heavy-handed importing of democracy in the Central American countries.TR, Eisenhower, Reagan and now, I guess, Obama. My wife and I travel through these countries and often are embarrassed by some of the questions they ask of us Americans.

The US has historically had much reason and opportunity to be involved in Central America and especially northern South America (Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador - for each of these countries the reasons are slightly different). The Monroe Doctrine has morphed into the Roosevelt Corollary (self-assumed permission just where to swing that big stick. Speaking softly optional). TR demonstrated the strategic importance of the Canal. In fact, it's possible that this recent event has to do with that Canal. Our policy has since devolved from the Roosevelt Corollary to - what shall we call it? - the Reagan Expedient: Exporting democracy sometimes requires undemocratic methods (as in Guatemala in the 80s).

#1 asterisktom, Jul 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2010
  2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would have preferred "Operation Arizona Border Patrol".

Not sure what they would have done with the 46 ships.

HankD

3. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Hmmm! Interesting development.

A distraction?
    A overt operation with a covert motivation?
    If the purpose is as reported, will the out come be worth the risk of collateral damage to the people and their economy and peace? Could our actions be destabilizing to the point that a void is created more vunerable to the issues of drugs, money laundering? Harm to the indigenous people of CR? Meant to antagonize neighbors into aggression upon the populace of CR or the US?

This one may be a wait and see development.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I say a full inventagation by JAG and NCIS be ordered. I reccommend that Commander Rabb and Special Gibbs be in charge

5. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would also call in Jack Bauer.
    Maybe have them include Mel Gibson as linguist.