1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

USA landmarks Satan's home

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by church mouse guy, Apr 21, 2005.

1. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Camp Chesterfield, Indiana, a major worldwide spiritualist installation has been placed on the National Park Service National Register of Historic Places. I was astonished to see that this seat of Satan could receive such a designation.

What do you think?

http://www.campchesterfield.net/

2. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

I'm thinking there's something in it's history to merit that other than what the camp stands for now. There's got to be more to it.

3. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, I think that it was always what it is now, Chipsgirl, but I could not prove it. It was very famous right after World War I when so many troops were buried in Europe. People visit from all over the world; some stay in Indianapolis as the town is not too far from here. It actually is a whole little tiny town of spiritists, but the camp is set aside from the town of Chesterfield.

4. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

According to the history section on the site you linked church mouse, it was originally founded specifically for spiritism.
    Always has been a "home" for demons and their human dupes.

In HIS service;
    Jim

5. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

There are also lots of Indian sites on the historic registry as well. Not much difference if you ask me. If it's a part of America's history then so be it. Can't hide it or change it be it good or bad.

6. mioque

mioque New Member

If I remember correctly Camp Chesterfield got into a major scandal a couple of decades ago when it turned out that the camp personal was faking spiritualist phenomena. As in they were dressing up as ghosts and conning the visitors into believing they were real ghostly manisfestations.

7. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

Interestingly, one of the required courses for their "Medium Missionary Certificate" is Beginning Bible Study. Which part of the bible could they be studying to support their beliefs? I guess their bible hero has to be Saul, since he visited a medium in order to communicate with a dead Samuel. Surely they must skip over the part containing the warnings against using a medium. :rolleyes:

8. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    CMG said:

"I was astonished to see that this seat of Satan could receive such a designation."

The National Register simply recognizes that a site has historical significance and makes no value judgment about the site.

9. FrankBetz

FrankBetz Guest

Spiritism. BLAH!!!

Just give me JESUS!!

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Spiritualism is a recognized religion. I've been to Spiritualist churches (before I was a believer). They do use the Bible; though, of course, they are not interpreting or using it correctly.

There is a common misconception among many Christians that people in the occult do not use the Bible, when actually, you would be amazed at how much the Bible is (mis)used in the occult. Sometimes the misuse is very subtle. And, of course, the Bible is referred to all the time in the New Age (though it is spiritualized and given meaning that is not there).

The early origin of the ouija board, btw, is due to a French spiritualist. I have some links to show Spiritualist beliefs, but they are not Christian links so I don't think I can post them.

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Lily Dale in NY and Casadega in Florida are two other Spiritualist communities where psychics and mediums live.

12. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

Marcia, where is the occult 'capital' of the world? Or is there one?

I have heard that it's England, maybe around London somewhere.

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

There is no occult capital. Occultism is not a religion but rather a set of practices (spirit contact, divination, and sorcery/magick) that can be found in many belief systems. One can practice occult techniques without having the occult beliefs. For example, a christian can "play" the ouija board or consult a medium.

It is true there is a lot of spiritualism in England for some reason, or at least there used to be. But there is just as much occultism here in the U.S. The main way a lot of it is introduced here is through entertainment (games and movies) and books. Thus, people (especially younger people) get desensitized to it.

14. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Iveyleaguer, Camp Chesterfield used to be a capital after World War I. It is like an iceberg in that much of it is below the surface.

Indianapolis, home of Jim Jones and Peoples Temple, also has spiritualist churches. One of them advertises a $2 admission fee. I guess that they know that otherwise no one would give them any money--LOL.

The US government should not have listed them as an historic place--now used by the spiritualists as an advertisement. It is as if such a designation had been given to Caesarea Philippi while Baal was worshipped there. In other words, Camp Chesterfield is in very active use today.

What do you think the solution is? As Chipsgirl has alluded to, we probably have done the same for every kiva out west. Not to mention every old church in New England.

Marcia, so glad that you have been set free from that lot!

15. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

Exactly. It's just a part of America's History.

16. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are several totem poles in my area that are registered simply as ANTIQUE INDIAN ARTIFACTS. No one worships them now, and in fact many people don't know they WERE worshipped...even some of the Indians who take care of them & weatherproof them once a year.

We certainly don't wanna get into a Taliban mentality that led them to destroy a great many ancient statues in Afghanistan because they didn't fit Muslim theology.

17. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where in the Bible does it say that Satan's home is Indiana? I must have missed that verse. :eek:

18. tfisher1

tfisher1 New Member

Hope that's not his home.. I only live about 5 miles from there... use to ride my bike through the camp as a kid. Weird little tomb-like contraption right in the middle of the "town". If I recall there is something that resembled a church and also a little library within the camp. I remember going into the library(bookstore) and seeing lots of books on ESP and such. Kind of a creepy place...

Todd