1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Usagi the Yakuza Gangster

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by John of Japan, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I've been praying. God promises a way out when we seek it. 1 Cor 10:13.

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, friend. Amen!

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's been around a month since I posted here. In the meantime we were at a standstill. Then last week things began to happen. I counseled with Usagi on Tuesday, and he told me then he was going to flee the city. My missionary friend up north advised him against this, and I advised him against this. Then I brought him to our home and had him call the ex-yakuza pastor for advice mentioned at the beginning of this story, and that good man also advised him to stay here and stand up for Christ. However, the police had told him that the only way he could quit was to leave town.

I asked Usagi some questions then. Did the godfather know where our church was? Yes. If Usagi fled would the godfather come around asking us where he was. Yes. So far this hasn't happened, but if it does things will get interesting.

So, early Sunday morning Usagi hopped on a bus and went down to the coast to catch a ferry to the mainland. The next day I heard from him in a large city, then a day or two later from another large city, and finally this morning from a third large city. In the first two cities he had found no place to stay and no way to get by. Finally in the third city I could help him!

I called a missionary friend of mine with a facility up in the mountains, reachable from this large city, someone who specialized in helping people in trouble: suicidal people, mentally ill people and others with problems. After explaining the situation to my friend, I was given permission to give the phone number to Usagi with the admonition that he would have to work if he went there. Usagi was only too happy to agree to this. Probably today he will end up there. May God grow him into a mature Christian and a useful servant.

So thank you to everyone who has read this story and prayed for us and Usagi. I believe this story has come to an end--unless the godfather shows up, at which time he will hear the Gospel!

4. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Amen!!!

Praise God!! We will continue praying for you and the Mrs. as well as Usagi.:praying: That is great news. Keep us posted about the Godfather! Well pray God will protect you and empower you as a witness in this unique situation. If you get any news of Bro.Usagi's progress let us all know. God Bless You Bro.John.

Blessings To You!
    Bro.Greg:saint:

5. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I too am praising God for this. I'll keep Usagi and you and your family in prayer. I know this has been heart warming story to Gregory Perry Sr. and myself for sure.

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, Bob!

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For those praying about the possibility of the godfather coming around to question me, here is what happened over the weekend. First of all, Saturday evening Usagi texted me, "It's great that I believed in God!" He was doing fine at the facility I sent them to, willing to help in God's work. He washed the dishes for them for a group that was there.

On Sunday morning was when I thought the godfather or his minions might show up, and I was praying about what to do if they showed up at service time! Lo and behold, we had a monster snow storm on Sunday morning, dumping about 14 inches on our city, which is a little much even for here in snowy Hokkaido! (Think Siberia when you think of our city.) We even cancelled the evening service! So since Usagi was the snow shoveler for the godfather, chances are the dude is still snowed in!

In the meantime, during Sunday School hour I got a call from Uchiwa San (not his real name), a former drug pusher under Usagi who Usagi was able to help get out of yakuza influence and get police protection since Uchiwa was only a 3rd tier member. Uchiwa asked where Usagi was and I told him only that he was down on the mainland island of Honshu in a Christian facility. This week I plan to visit Uchiwa and give him the Gospel for the first time.

#107 John of Japan, Mar 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2013
  8. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

9. Gregory Perry Sr.

Amen!!!

Bro.John...It is such a blessing to hear testimony of how the Lord multiplies the efforts of the faithful....now we have another to pray for in Uchiwa. I can't help but believe that Usagi's changed life will have made an impression on him. Let us know what happens next...Like I said early on....you may have to write something in PRINT about all of this. I'd be willing to buy the 1st copy but I'd probably have to compete with bro.Bob and Squire for it! Bless you brother John. Maybe you could go shovel the godfather's walkway and then witness to him when you were done?....JUST KIDDING:laugh:

Bro.Greg:praying::saint:

10. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, that's not that bad of an idea. Wise as a serpent yet harmless as a dove.

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've thought of doing this, and even have a publisher in mind.

Alas, I've not been able to find out where the godfather lives, otherwise I would have visited him and witnessed to him and tried to get him to set Usagi free. (In one case the yakuza believer brought the godfather to the church to discuss it with the pastor, and the gang released the believer.) All Usagi would tell me is the general area of the city, not the specific house.

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He's a real piece of work! Rich from the sorrows of drug users, prostitutes and other sad, sad people.

13. Gregory Perry Sr.

I Wonder...

:smilewinkgrin:And I just wonder who that publisher might be.....!

Bro.Greg:saint:

14. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

John, Thanks for the update.

15. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The question is would you shovel Al Capone's snow?

16. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

No!!! He isn't around any more, so I can act big and touch.

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You might be surprised! :smilewinkgrin:

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Depends on how much he would pay me... and how the payment would occur! Soon as I heard him say to his minion, "Ice him," I'd be out of there. :laugh:

19. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is the status of Bro. Usagi the last time you spoke with him Bro. John? Are you able to still communicate with each other?

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Usagi finally fled from the gang, went to my friend's facility. At some point he worked on the earthquake cleanup in Fukushima--full hazmat gear. He ended up in a large city back on our island of Hokkaido. Sometime before we left Japan I met him for lunch there and had some wonderful fellowship. In parting he hugged me--something very rare for a Japanese man to do.

We are no longer in communication, since he has no computer or other ways to communicate, but I pray for him daily and thank God for what He did in his life.

• Like Like x 2