1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

USC Falls

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by bobbyd, Oct 28, 2006.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

You've been seeing lately what I've seen :)

The O-Line is not getting it done run blocking, especially between the tackles, and Hardesty and Foster are BTT runners. Coker was our end runner, and since he's out, we're in trouble. I wonder if Cut's desire to get our guys "leaner" hasn't hurt us some physically speaking.

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, expectations are that high. People want a return to the Broyles - Holtz - Hatfield eras of national prominence. I would invite you check out this message board which is getting a lot of attention in Arkansas:

www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php/board,1.0.html

Nutt's flirtation with LSU, following on the heels of his flirtation with Nebraska, plus two losing seasons with his unimaginative offensive play-calling, cost him with a significant portion of the fan base to such an extent that I am not sure that even a national championship would see them return to supporting him. They want Nutt gone - period.

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

No offense, but why are schools so enamored with Nutt? I realize part of it has to do with aspirations and agents, but I'm one of many that's never really figured that one out. Again, I mean no offense by it. He's had some good years, but he's had some clunkers, too. Maybe I'm too harsh on his record.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A lot of Razorback fans agree with your question.

5. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you really think UT is in "trouble"?

They've been pretty effective with the passing game even when they need to control clock and drive. The Vols are averaging about 9 yards per attempt and completing over 60%. If the weight loss is responsible for the good pass protection that allows this, I don't think having them bulk up to run block would be a good trade.

I don't think that's it though. Michigan did the same thing with their o-line and can run effectively with more or less the same types of plays.

Against USC I noticed that most of their runs were met by free LB's in the hole. That would seem to mean they don't have enough hats at the point of attack... which isn't a player problem.

IMO, the most critical problem is that UT just doesn't have a FB worth a dime. Maybe they should convert a different DE or a LB?

6. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, Did you catch the message UT sent the other night?

When USC expected them to run it 3 times and punt, Cut cranked up a bomb to Meachem... or maybe just let Ainge have the freedom to audible to it.

Either way, the message to future opponents is that you can't crowd the line even if we're trying to protect a lead. They looked like a Pac10 team when they did that. Play calls like that make not having a great running game OK.

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Typical of the SEC. The natives were restless with Chief Tommy on the plains, until Auburn turned in a great season, and followed with solid years; They were screaming for Fulmer's head in Knoxville after last year; along the Bayou, some wanted the coach gone, until a season where the National Title was available to be had at LSU. So Ol' Houston should not feel like a privileged character. He just may get 'star-billing' until the next coach knocks him off the "He's absolutely got to go!" seat.

He or his agent might want to check out Michigan State. Just read where John L. is calling it quits, there. Seems he couldn't get the results in Lansing what he did in Louisville. Think the competetion from Ann Arbor, Columbus, Iowa City, and 'Happy Valley' might be unfortuantely tougher than that from Lexington? :tear: Although probably no tougher than that from Gainesville, Athens, Baton Rouge, and Knoxville from year to year.

Ed

#27 EdSutton, Nov 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2006
  8. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only an idiot would voluntarily leave Arkansas for Mich St. It might be difficult to recruit for the Hogs but nothing like MSU. Mich gets most of the top flight talent in state and they aren't a national power or recruiting force.

At least in Arkansas most of the best home grown players will seriously consider you... Mich St gets the rejects of Mich, OSU, and ND.

9. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Scott wrote:
    Contextually, I was talking about the running game. There, yes, we are in some trouble. LSU and ARK both have good front sevens. I don't think we are in a position, given our injuries at WR and depending on Ainge's ankle, to throw it 50 times to win. Crompton has been getting a great deal of work with the 1st team, although Ainge should start Sat.
    This I can't explain. Corey is playing worse this year than last...much worse. Using Chris as an H-Back or one of the Cottams may be what we need to do more of. Brown hasn't looked as good this year though. And as for converting a DE/LB, we don't have enough depth to do that. We need every body we can get for the front seven.
    Well, it could have been a message. But remember this: using our running game we tried to hammer it in after Meach's catch and couldn't do it. I'm glad Cut has the confidence in our passing game and I hope we continue to have success, but we are going to have to have some inkling of a running game to beat the competition we are facing down the stretch and in bowl time.
    General Neyland just rolled over in his grave :) Seriously, if our running game was better, I can't help but think we'd be undefeated and #3 in America right now.
    No kidding.

Ed...I know you don't like John L since he was a Card, but he really is a card :laugh: What a character. Always good for a sound byte. However, he never figured out that you can't play WAC football in the Big Ten. He was liked in Louisville simply because he followed Ron Cooper, whose offensive playbook looked the size of a pamphlet.

10. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd argue that if McNeil had been center or if the game wasn't so soon after the Harrell/Johnson injuries they'd have won anyway. But a real life running game would have done it too.

Maybe you've read it or know it... but why in the world does UT think that a FB needs to weigh 250+? The best FB I've ever seen them have was Shawn Bryson and he was never that big (another good western NC kid too).

You are right about Anderson being a mystery as well as the other kid whose name I can't remember. Wasn't the other guy a big time recruit?

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Actually, I do like John L., and think he is a far better coach than the spike helmeted fans and Administration of Lansing do, apparently. But I'll have to agree on the playbook of Ron Cooper at UL, who along with Bill Curry at UK, at overlapping times, gave new meaning to "inept" as a description of a Head Football coach.

John L. had a 41-21 record in five years (and five straight bowl appearances) at UL - not too shabby, considering he took over a program that Ron Cooper had managed to drag back down to what it was when Howard arrived with his pipe some fifteen years before. In fact, if UK tanks and Rick gets the axe, I wouldn't mind seeing either John L. OR Houston Nutt get a long look see, and one of 'em hired. It will not be a difficult job to be head coach at UK, but as to building a consistent winner? That job does sort of fit the Army mantra of:

"The difficult we do immediately; :thumbsup: the impossible takes a little longer!" :laugh:

Ed