1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Use of drama in open air witness

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Robert J Hutton, Jul 6, 2002.

1. Robert J Hutton

Robert J Hutton New Member

Warm Christian greetings!

As an "open air" evangelist I have often wondered if it is a good or bad thing to use drama:

a) in order to "draw a crowd"

b) to convey spiritual thruths

I would be grateful for your comments

Kind regards

Robert J Hutton

2. Headcoveredlady

Headcoveredlady New Member

Mr Hutton,
    Did Christ ever do that? Did you know the root word for actor is hypocratta, (sp) which also means hypocrite?

HCL

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think drama could be used in an academic sense, but Headcoveredlady is right. The perfomance arts were highly developed and sophisticated in Rome and Greece, yet there is no example of the Apostles or Christ using this method to draw a crowd.

It was always preaching.

4. Jesusinme

Jesusinme New Member

If we cannot use drama in the streets then we should not use it in church either. Because the apostles did not do it does not necesary mean that you cannot do it? How is acting out what someone else did in order to make a good point,Hipocritical :confused: Christians use drama all the time to show a verse of scripture more clear for the public. If I was to go with my better judjement here,I would have to say that drama is very much in and also a wonderful way to share the gospel of Jesus Christ:)

5. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

No, Jesus used parables, which are wonderful stories to act out.

I like to use drama.