1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Use of the NKJV?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by mesly, Apr 18, 2003.

1. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have noticed that when polls and questions about the use of various translations comes up, the NKJV is somewhat absent as a translation used for serious study.

I believe that Dr. Bob Griffin is the only one that I am aware on the BB that uses the NKJV in ministry and he uses it for preaching.

Is there a reason that the NKJV is not used as a "serious" study translation (like the NASB, ESV, KJV, RSV)? Maybe it is and it just hasn't been conveyed here as such? I personally, having come out of KJVOnlyism, have found the NKJV to be a good version and have been using it for about a year now.

Also, has anybody noticed that the NKJV is being marketed in the strangest "study bibles"? It seems to have become the translation of choice when putting together a niche "study bible". For instance, the following niche bibles are available only in the NKJV:

</font>
    • Women Thou Art Loosed Study Bible</font>
    • Living Abundantly Study Bible</font>
    • Precious Moments Bible</font>
    • Come Let us Adore Him Bible</font>
    • Spirit Filled Life Bible</font>
    • God's Promises Bible</font>
    • Here's Hope Bible</font>
    • Adventures in Odyssey Bible</font>
    I am not down playing the fact that these contain the word of God, just that it seems a bit silly in the way they are being marketed. I haven't noticed any other translation being marketed in such a way.

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I have a Nelson Study Bible in the NKJV and love it.

Diane

3. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Diane. I also have the Nelson Study Bible and I really enjoy using it. A few months ago I also purchased one of Nelson's Signature Series NKJV's. It has the best leather I have ever seen on a bible.

I guess I should have stated my original question a bit more from the academic arena. I have never heard of a seminary or bible college that recommends the NKJV. It seems that most Christian educational institutions recommend the NASB (this is the one that my bible college recommended to me), the NIV, the KJV, or the RSV. Is there an educational institution that is recommending the NKJV to its graduates?

4. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

I currently own 4 NKJV bibles.

I have the:

Baptist study bible
    Thompson chain
    Thinline
    Pocket size N.T.

5. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

Daniel David,

You mean you have one BIBLE, the NKJV "Thinline"! You also have three perversions, masking themselves as the Word of God in the less then perfect bindings

6. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

That is what I meant. I have two bibles actually, the NKJV and ESV thinline.

I have about 10 other perversions.

Props to Pete for keeping me from drifting to the side of this discussion that uses sensationalism and ignorance as backbone and factual history.

7. Jesus is Lord

Jesus is Lord New Member

Look at these Study Bibles. Names like "Come Let us Adore Him Bible". I believe they want a Bible translation written in a beautiful and poetically style but think that the KJV would be too difficult to read. So the NKJV is there choice.

Just MHO.

Be blessed.

Alex

8. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Look at these Study Bibles. Names like "Come Let us Adore Him Bible". I believe they want a Bible translation written in a beautiful and poetically style but think that the KJV would be too difficult to read. So the NKJV is there choice.

Just MHO.

Be blessed.

Alex
    </font>[/QUOTE]In most cases, Alex, the name refers to the notes and features in the Bible. The "come let us adore him" version sounds like something geared towards worship ... but who knows ...

9. Clay Knick

Clay Knick New Member

The NKJV Wide Margin in leather is
    an excellent edition of the NKJV.
    It has a small font size though.

I rather like the NKJV. I know there
    are arguments against it, but I
    enjoy it as a devotional Bible
    (especially in the Psalms) and to
    compare with other translations.

As far as who uses it, I've noticed
    David Jeremiah and Lloyd Ogilvie use
    it all the time.

Clay

10. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

"The New Open Bible" - NKJV. Study and Red letter Edition - Thomas Nelson.

Offers so much. Love it. I use it along with my other Bibles.

Kids use..."Extreme Teen Bible". NKJV. Thomas Nelson. Love it!

Also have "The Life and Times Historical Reference Bible". NKJV Thomas Nelson. Really like it!

Also have some Thompson Chains hanging around here too!

Sherrie [​IMG]

11. Haruo

Haruo New Member

At Fremont Baptist (Seattle) in the early 90s we gave away cases of "Serenity", an NKJV NT/Ps/Prov annotatively tied to the Twelve Steps of Younameit Anonymous.

Haruo

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have two of the most in-depth study Bibles on the scene today:
    ~New Geneva (Reformers) Study Bible, NKJV
    ~MacArthur Study Bible, NKJV

Also have a wonderful devotional Bible
    ~Max Lucado Study Bible, NJKV

And my wife has the top notch women's Study Bible
    ~Woman's Study Bible, NKJV

I'd say, off hand, that the NKJV has a real set of study bibles that prefer that great text to the modern versions [​IMG]

13. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

I use the NKJV exclusively and have done so for the past 8-9 years. I like the style, the fact that it's a formal equivalence translation, it's readability, and the fact that it follows the TR while including textual variants in the footnotes.

14. Serving Him

Serving Him Member

I use the Nelson Study Bible NKJV, MacArthur study bible on computer among other resources for study. When preaching I use the NKJV giant print. The study Bible is in paragraph format. The NKJV giant print is easier to find verses in as it is in chapter and verse format not to say anything about the larger print. Just got new glasses this spring don't need giant print any more. :D

15. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    AMEN! Cost $9.99 at Sam's Club for the Giant Print NKJV and it is a GREAT pulpit Bible. [​IMG]

16. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

While my seminary (SEBTS) doesn't officially recommend one translation (that I know of), the NKJV is very popular. The president uses it as well as many of the professors. I also heard that it was the required translation of one of the preaching classes.

Neal

17. Steven m.

Steven m. New Member

The NKJV Bible examined under the true KJV that I believe to be the only preserved Word of God to the english speaking people.

The greatest method of deception is to counterfeit.
    And the master of counterfeit and deception is Satan.

The Bible in 2 Corinthians 11:14-15 warns of Satan's counterfeit: "And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness;. . ." Isaiah 14: 14 tells of Satan's ultimate counterfeit: ". . . I will BE LIKE the most High."

And among his greatest counterfeit's is the New King James Bible (NKJV). Christians that would never touch a New International Version (NIV), New American Standard (NASV), Revised Standard (RSV), the New Revised Standard (NRSV) or other per-versions are being "seduced" by the subtil NKJV.

And though the New King James does indeed bear a "likeness" to the 1611 King James Bible, as you'll soon see, there's something else coiled (see Genesis 3:1) "underneath the cover" of the NKJV.

[Steven, please post a link so that others may read the rest of the article if they wish. I found a site, but the post had been removed. Pastor Bob]

[ April 30, 2003, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: Pastor Bob the Younger ]

18. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Here we go again. More KJV only hogwash.

19. Anti-Alexandrian

I dont believe anybodys "twisting your arm" to look at it..

20. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nonsense. Idiotic nonsense. A translation of anything is nothing but an effort to relate in one language what has been told in one or more others.