1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Using the Public Library for Bible Study

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by kathleenmariekg, Dec 8, 2020.

1. kathleenmariekg

kathleenmariekg Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you use your public library for Bible study?

Does your local library have Bible study books?

Can you borrow them through interlibrary loan?

Do you ask them to buy Bible study books?

Do you have access to any online Bible study resources through your library?

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I still have a library card in my wallet but it’s been about two or three years since I’ve been in my local library.

The religious section in the public library in my town is filled with books that are unhelpful to any serious study of the Bible. Sure, there may be one or two that might be worthwhile in a general way but many of them are just plain junk.

It’s as if the people that buy the books and stock the shelves don’t know anything about Christianity or about studying Scripture.

My church’s public library is much better but tends to lack focus, as if the books are donated discards.

I’m fortunate in that there are a few seminaries in the region that offer a wealth of material.

Rob

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you allowed to just go to those seminaries and read the books? Can anyone do that?

Should people that do know something about Christianity and studying scripture contact their local libraries and offer a list of suggestions for purchase?

What can people do to support their local church libraries?

My library has some great Bible study books in Spanish, but almost nothing in English. The few English books are not available in Spanish and I think they were requested in English because that was the only option for a book on that topic. I am not sure who is responsible for those Spanish books being purchased.

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’m uncertain if suggestions about what books to purchase would be taken seriously by the staff of a public library.
    The purchasing agent looks for books that will attract the most people.
    In the religious section that would be controversial or outlandish material or material written by someone with a name that is widely known. That sometimes means someone that has been publicly disgraced or someone that is pushing a controversial opinion.

Regarding access: the seminary libraries near me (in southeastern Pennsylvania) generally allow the public into them but the recent COVID-19 restrictions have closed them now even to students.

Many of the larger libraries have online access, Princeton Theological Seminary, Eastern, Westminster....
    It’s not as fun (or productive) visiting a library online but it can be done.

Rob

• Like Like x 1
  5. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back in the city, there was an online form that allowed us to request purchases. About 1/2 of the books I requested were purchased, so sometimes I would ask for books in sections of the collection that were weak, even if I did not need them myself.

I need to see what happens here for requests and inter-library loan.

The Spanish Bible study books are solid and conservative. Thompson's chain reference and McArthur commentary and things like that. The English section is mostly like what you are describing, except for a few surprises like a conservative book on chronology that I don't see anything comparable in Spanish and I am assuming is somehow connected to those Spanish books.

Do laypeople have any access to online seminary libraries or something like that?

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Try this, a ton of spiritual stuff is here!
    Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free & Borrowable Books, Movies, Music & Wayback Machine

7. Bassoonery

Bassoonery Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If there is a college, university or seminary near you (even a secular one with a theology department), then yes, I do believe they generally offer reader access to members of the public. Their library websites would probably have the information you need.

Aside from books, may I recommend the archives that are also available at academic institutions? If you have a special interest in mind, you will discover unique archives housed in various institutions which are well worth a visit. I am thinking of missionary archives containing letters, diaries and photos for example. I was privileged to be able to spend time in such archives as a student and was often moved to silent tears at what I was reading. It was as much food for the soul (if not more) as an ordinary devotional book!

8. Bassoonery

Bassoonery Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I realise I'm late to the party and most people here probably already use it, but I recently signed up for the free version of Logos: Logos 9 Basic—Free Bible Software. I'm not sure whether I can make much use of it yet, but once you've subscribed to the free version you can then go about purchasing the many free or discounted books available to read through Logos from their website. A good option if you're wanting free or cheap access online.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) you wont know unless you try.
    2) are you afraid of them saying NO?
    3) If they do - that is the worse that would happen
    4) Since the library is public- someone gets voted in who makes decision
    could be the village/town trustee, may have a library district that elects a board of directors, ect.
    Find out who the elected official is - then request that money be provided for religious books
    If they do not do so - they YOU run for the office next time.

Those who have something to do -find a way
    others--------------------------------find an excuse.

+ we have an advantage - the power of prayer.