1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Vehicle Road Test

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Salty, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was wondering about road Tests in the USA and Canada.
    Here in NY, you must be able to parallel park behind one vehicle and end up 3-12 inches from the curb.
    If you do not get within 12 inches - you get a second chance. However, if you hit the curb - that is an automaic failure.

Does your State/Commonwealth require Parallel parking? If so, what are the standards.

Also, are there any other driving instructors here on Baptist Board.

Thanks!

2. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

My last test I had an expired license for over 5 years. But I was legal to drive because I had a card from my home state that said my license would never expire as long as I was on active duty.

So, when the guy giving me the test find this out, he literally had me back out of the parking spot, drive around the parking lot one lap, and then park back in the parking spot.

Now, to answer your question, I took my original driver's test in Kansas. And I don't remember having to parallel park. But that was over half my life ago...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm, I never have taken a driving test. I have taken written tests.

I drove a vehicle on my Permanent Party base.
    I had no license and one day I was told to go get a vehicle and help down on the flight line.

The civil service and military workers were having a base day picnic.
    I went to the motor pool to get the vehicle and told them I had no license.
    They issued me one on the spot.No questions asked.

Later I was issued a vehicle to take a few courses at Syracuse University (Utica Branch).
    After two years and my separation was looming i went to get my NY State drivers license.

I was asked if I had a base drivers license and I said yes.
    OK you don't need to take a drivers test just the written test.

HankD

4. saved41199

saved41199 Active Member
    Site Supporter

My driving test, back in the dark ages, was to drive around the block. Back out of the parking spot, go to the end of the parking lot, turn right, go to the light, turn right and turn right back into the DMV parking lot and park the car. That was it. However, a 2 week road school was required prior to taking the driving test. I guess if you passed the road school, there wasn't much of a need for the test. I have never taken another driving test since (written or behind the wheel)...even though I've been licensed in 4 different states now.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What State/Commonwealth did you pass your road test?

6. saved41199

saved41199 Active Member
    Site Supporter

My original license was issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia in 1980. I've been licensed in Virginia, Indiana, Arizona and Nevada.

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Took a motorcycle test. The instructor told me to just drive around the parking lot and if I didn't lay it down I pass.

At one time parallel parking was on the test (although not as strict as you indicate your state to be). We don't have very many places where one would parallel park, and apparently we have even fewer drivers who can.