1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Very Simple Question

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Jun 25, 2004.

1. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Lacy Evans said:

What if the "error" causes the book to match the autographs? We'll never really know.

Since the KJV is in English and the autographs were in Greek, it would be an interesting error indeed that caused this.

2. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Anti-Alexandrian thinks this proves something:

The whole premise of you original question is ridiculous at best.I have seen PLENTY of Alexandrian "bibles" have dozens if not more printing errors,WHY?

Uh . . . because the translators are human and therefore occasionally prone to mistakes? The fact poses no problems for non-KJV-onlyists, who aren't claiming supernatural perfection for any English translation.

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

4. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

No. Actually what it would be is a providential act of preservation. God can speak both languages you know. And he is the only one who knows with certainty what the autographs said. God revives things . . . truths, words, nations, physical bodies, worlds, etc. He is not bound by rules of textual criticism (modern or classical). He is not bound by available parts (for lack of a better word). If I die, he can remake me from ashes or fish-food.

Lacy

5. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Just wanted to say hey, GrannyGumbo, AV1611, Anti-Alexandrian, Lacy Evans. [​IMG]

BTW, [​IMG]

6. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lacy Evans:No. Actually what it would be is a providential act of preservation. God can speak both languages you know. And he is the only one who knows with certainty what the autographs said. God revives things . . . truths, words, nations, physical bodies, worlds, etc. He is not bound by rules of textual criticism (modern or classical). He is not bound by available parts (for lack of a better word). If I die, he can remake me from ashes or fish-food.

With GOD, it's not what He CAN'T do as He can do anything; it's what He WON'T do. In Amos 3:7, He said He'll do nothing(at least what affects mankind) w/o first telling His servants the prophets. And nowhere does He limit Himself to one version of His word in a language that didn't exist during Amos' lifetime-or just one version, period, regardless of the language.

7. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think we need to focus on what God said He would preserve. Some would have us believe that it is just the message that God preserved. I believe the Word of God teaches that the very words of God have been preserved.
    Matthew 24:35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away. (KJV)

In our MT translations, I believe we have, in the English language, an accurate representation of the very words of God.

The truth is, God did preserve His words even in the hands of the typesetters and printers. Everytime a mistake was found it was corrected. That, more than likely, occurred with the very first copy of the original. If they only would have destroyed all copies that didn't agree perfectly with the originals, we wouldn't be having this version debate.

8. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Granny Gumbo:I wish I was smart like michelle & the others are. See, I don't understand what it is you are asking, so please don't laugh. In my mind, I believe the Lord put the men together at the time He did to make a final Bible. I believe His word was there all thru the ages & different ones kept it going.

But God has preserved His word from the time He first gave it to man, right? So its translation has been an ongoing process.

I also believe the devil had his copy going. What I have came from God.

Are you SURE? Can you PROVE it?

Those others out there, well.... while I've never read one, I just sense there's something wrong there.

In other words, you're GUESSING.

What is meant by typesetters? Men are human & no doubt some typos have been made.

Which is proof that God allows imperfect man to handle His perfect word.

I found this out when one of our children was reading & a word in mine was different from theirs; so I figured there's a spy in every camp, and that the Lord can right a wrong.

But how did you know THEIRS was wrong and YOURS was right?

I still trust that what I have is perfect in every way & that the Lord did it.[/i]

But you can't PROVE it, so you're just GUESSING.

That's one of the things the KJVO myth is based upon-GUESSWORK.

9. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pastor Bob:I think we need to focus on what God said He would preserve. Some would have us believe that it is just the message that God preserved. I believe the Word of God teaches that the very words of God have been preserved.
    Matthew 24:35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away. (KJV)

And Jesus chose what was to be preserved. When the woman caught in adultery was brought before Him, He wrote something in the dust which was not preserved. We don't know the many millions of words He spoke between the ages of 12 and 30. and all the other many millions of words He spoke in conducting His daily mundane affairs. However, I believe we have every word He spoke that He wanted preserved for His generation and every generation thereafter.

In our MT translations, I believe we have, in the English language, an accurate representation of the very words of God.

The truth is, God did preserve His words even in the hands of the typesetters and printers. Everytime a mistake was found it was corrected. That, more than likely, occurred with the very first copy of the original. If they only would have destroyed all copies that didn't agree perfectly with the originals, we wouldn't be having this version debate.

I believe God's words appear in our Bibles according to God's will.

At the "first pentecost" in Acts 2, when the Holy Spirit caused everyone present to hear the preaching in his/her own language, if many people had copied the words in his/her own languages, and these copies were to be translated into a common language, they'd have had as many versions as there were languages translated. No one language will translate 100% into another, so each would be different from all the others. However, this is NOT lost on God, who made, and still oversees all languages. He causes His word to appear in each of them, in a form understandable to its target audience. The Scriptures have been translated into over 2400 languages now, and I doubt if there's any language used by more than a few dozen people that doesn't now have a Bible. Even the languages of the Fore people of the Philippines and the Waironi people of South America(featured several years ago on "Nova") have AUDIO Bibles, as they have no written language.(It's believed that the Fore, pronounced 'foray', is the smallest known distinct nationality or tribe, with its own language, with less than fifty members.)

10. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Lacy Evans said:

Actually what it would be is a providential act of preservation.

ROFL! I can see the conversation now around the printing press:

Printer #1: You moron, you got the Roman letters mixed up with the Greek letters and now King James' new Bible is unintelligible gibberish! Mr. Barker will have your head for this, Larry.

Printer #2: Hold on, Moe! The autographs were in Greek, right? Well, now the Bible is closer to the autographs, and hence more accurate even if no one can read it.

Printer #1: Maybe you're right! Nyuk nyuk nyuk!

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right, one problem which compounded things is that new errors crept in when trying to correct the old. Now with the advent of electronic storage that problem has been virtually eliminated.

HankD

12. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

Personally I think that God preserved his word in us. As flawed as we are we think our way is the only way. I think if you can pick up a Bible and it speaks to your heart, you have the Word of God. When an unsaved person picks up the Bible, It is just words to them. It dosen't speak. It dosen't speak to them until they are ready to admit they are human and flawed. It dosen't speak to them until they can let go of their pride. Once a person is saved, It's common for them to be very devout to the Bible that saved them. That is their LOYALTY to God's word. It's what speaks to them in their life. A KJV 1611 saved me, but a NIV saved my husband. Does that mean that my husband is not saved? No it dosen't in the least. What it means is we are all diffrent and should be tolerant and understand this. Love one another as I have loved you. Christ spoke these words. They are the most important besides salvation. We should all remember that

-steps off the soap box and returns to her day-

God Bless

13. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Nice point Lea!