1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Videos

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Clean1, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Clean1

Clean1 New Member

I know that I've posted this before, but here I am once again. I came by a while ago about a movie I made that went to the song "Proud to be an American" by Lee Greewood.
    Is there any place that I can submit this video besides Google and Yahoo? They require me to have ALL the permission of the owners of the images I used in my movie. Problem is that I got those images by searching on Yahoo, Google, and MSN image search and don't know where those pics came from. The song I got off a website by recording it on my camera then trasfering it to the computer (I have NOT altered the song or images in any way). How in the world would I ask permission to use Lee's song? Anyway.... if I don't have to do all this it would be SOOOOOOOO much easier. I mean, I don't want someone who took the images I put in the movie to see them in the video, get mad, then try to sew me, blame me, or whatever else considering todays day-n-age(im pretty sure that wouldn't happen). Help???

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yahoo and Google require it because of copyright laws.

If you want permission to use anything write the owner/publisher and ask. They are usually quite open to such things. Just tell them what you want to use it for and see what they say.

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

First, I suspect the video illegally uses Mr. Greenwood's recording. To get permission for that part, I would see who licenses it...either BMI, SESAC, or ASCAP. I doubt you'll get permission.

Then the creator of the video and the owner of copyright for any images must give permission.

If you are intent on this, I'd just put a link to it and let someone else take the risk.

4. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

okay, computers acting up, let's try this again

#4 Filmproducer, Aug 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2006
  5. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Clean1

The best place to post videos is on youtube.com. It is free, and they give you an address so you can invite your friends and family to view it, as well as place your video in specific categorys. For example, we placed the trailer to our film on youtube as well as our website. You can view it at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLSxmPnmnQE
    and it is under the following categorys/tags: SodomandGomorrah Trailer Christianity Homosexuality Religious Religion Christian Fire Brimstone Sinner Gospel

On the other hand, I HIGHLY recommended that before you post ANYTHING you always obtain copyright permission. Given your age, I am sure you would not be sued, however, you will be asked to cease and desist using the material under threat of further legal ramifications. Think of it this way, although you feel you are using the images in a manner that does not hurt anyone, including the the photographer or songwriter/performer, if everyone did, what would be the point of having copyright protection, especially if you are posting the material on the web. The person who holds the copyright has the right to use the material in whatever way they see fit, and they do not even have to give a valid reason for denying permission, or asking for astronomical fees for use of the material. They essentially "did the work", and now they are "reaping the benefits". Using copyrighted material without permission is the same as stealing someone elses term paper.

6. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Also, if you are serious about requesting permission. Find out who holds the copyright for the song/images. A simple web search should yield the information, or you could search the copyright office's website. Then send a simple letter and/or email requesting permission for the use of the material, as well as a brief explanation of how you plan to use the material and where you plan to use it. Be prepared to wait at least a few weeks for a response. Depending on the company/peson holding the copyright it could be a few months.

In the meantime, if you want to start on your next video project, I would recommend a web search on images and music in the public domain. You would be surprised how much is out there. You just have to know where to find it.

Good luck! If you ever get your video posted, please send a link. I would love to see it.

Filmproducer

7. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Clean, please pay attention to what FilmProducer has written.

One of my jobs in the Air Force is the enforcement of copyright laws. People think it's no big deal to place Dilbert cartoons in their unit pictures, publications, etc. But doing so gives the impression that the Air Force is endorsing, and even promoting, Dilbert...and vice versa.

Pay attention to that last part. By using Lee Greenwood's song, you're indicating that Mr. Greenwood is endorsing and even promoting your work; when the fact of the matter is, as good as it might be, Mr. Greenwood may disagree with what you're doing.

Or, to make it even more personal, how would you feel if you posted your video on youtube or myspace, and someone downloaded and started selling it?

The copyright laws may be frustrating, but they do serve a purpose.

8. Clean1

Clean1 New Member

Thankyou all very much for the comments. But the images that I chose for this movie don't have an author on them, website (except for one), etc. in which I can go back to. I just typed in a bunch of keywords in the image search to get them (which I don't remember exactly). Its pictues of soldiers fighting, in Iraq (2-3), old black/white, explosions, flags with soldiers on them, etc.
    I guess that I never thought about not asking for permission on copyright material as stealing. But I do now and it makes total sense. I understand why copyright is important. A piece of artwork that I used in my heading for my webpage was made by a member of caedes.com. I asked for her permission and she gladly grant it if only I would give her the credit and a link to it. And thats what I did and she was pleased with it. At first I guess that I thought it was selfish of her (man....I still have alot of growing up to do). But when she told me that people have stolen her work, posted it as their own, put it in public places, etc. it really sunk in. Anyway.... Does Lee Greewood have an email address that I could ask him about the song.:D?

#8 Clean1, Aug 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2006
  9. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glad you are going to try to get permissions. As to the song, google for his name and see if you can't find his website, then snoop around and see if you can find the company that put the song out (or if you have the record/cd look at the cover :). Then google for them and send them a note.

I spoke to a copyright lawyer years ago about books and he said that the only really safe way to put anything into circulation is to have permission for everything. That hurt since I had hundreds of quotes from many different writers. It literally took me weeks of calling, writing and asking to gain the permissions needed, then to cut out of my work those items that I couldn't get permission for, but it is well worth it - don't have to worry one bit about someone coming after me :thumbs:

10. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

I would check Microsoft's license agreement if you pulled up images on MSN, and you cannot find the copyright information. There is a section in the agreement that states how the material can be used. Go to http://microsoft.com and search for the EULA, (end user license agreement), for clip art and media. All of these agreements are typically the same, so you should be able to get a pretty good idea of what you can or cannot do.

A good place to search for the copyright info on music is at http://www.info.com/MusicCopyright From this site you can also search for non-copyrighted music.

PM me if you would like.

Good Luck,

Filmproducer

11. Clean1

Clean1 New Member

I think that it would be to just leave it alone now that I think about it. There are just way too many images in my movie to track down all the authors. I don't even remember where every image came from (msn, google, etc.) Since I know now that its better to get permission first than to just use it I'll do that next time. Lesson learned. Thanks alot guys for all the help though :thumbs:!