1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Violent Computer Games

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Jodo Kast, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Jodo Kast

Jodo Kast New Member

As I am sure the majority of you do not play computer games, bear with me here.

[snipped name of game] perhaps one of the most visually stunning games out there. outstanding lighting, models, and effects. maybe too good.

My friends and I bought this game to see its gorgeous graphics. by the time I finished it I was on my bed praying to my savior, thanking him for saving me, and cleansing me of my sins. This game is the scariest game I have ever played. the game is essentially about how hell breaks loose, and mankind is threatened. You do not play this game alone; I made this mistake today. I really don't know where to begin this at.

I got to the point where I cheated in this game. I made my self indestructable, unable to die. yet I found myself still cowering in corners, afraid to open the next door. I reached the end of the game, where you are sent down to hell to destroy some demon. there were bodies hanging upside down on crosses, or upside down crucifixes. very disturbing stuff. This game scared me to death. if you are alone, with headphones on playing this game, you will be scared.

My point is: I honestly had to sit down in prayer after this game finished. I think it is the most vile and disgusting thing I have ever experienced. If you doubt me I could post screenshots I took. The game portrayed Hell, It's hard to think that the real Hell is a billion time worse than what I saw in that game.

I am really sorry I played this game, I just want to warn any of you who are remotely aware of this game to keep your didtance. As of this afternoon I have packed it up, and never intend to play it again.

Has anyone else played it, or read about it?

[ October 10, 2004, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: dianetavegia ]

2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Some video games are spooky, that's for sure! Some of them are far beyond my comprehension--and my ability to think with a normal mind!!

The internet world is full of "Strange Rangers" willing to come in to a mind with intentions to dominate said mind----sometimes we reason though, "I can handle it! I won't get snookered into its vortex!" not thinking that eeeeeeevvver so gradually the mind becomes a cesspool of activity.

Brother David

[ October 10, 2004, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: blackbird ]

3. BillyMac

BillyMac New Member

This is true with most ANY temptation. We don't "think" it will effect us in a negative way and out "thinking" is really like NOT thinking with wisdom, at all.

I am not at all into internet video games but have seen some advertisements for the knock-down drag-out games that feature big muscular goons/thugs or those games that involve heavy gunfire killings, and I think "Whew! Not for me or my kids/grandkids".

But then too I suppose that most of these games depend on the maturity level of the viewer/player. If that person is too easily influenced by what they see, then I suppose that the negativity of the experience can become deeply rooted in their psyche and cause some serious damage.

I think I'd avoid these "games" as a precaution to thinking like a fool and prefer to be wise instead.

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I check out games for Nick on a Christian Website. The site, however, has stopped reviewing M rated games at this time. They received death threats.... (the aforementioned game was rated M)

Here's the link. It's also good for music reviews, etc.

http://www.almenconi.com/

Lyrics of the Week
    Do you know the lyrics to the top songs on MTV? If you have kids at home you NEED to know what they are listening to and what their friends are listening to.

WARNING: Some of these lyrics may be profane. We MUST BE AWARE THAT WE ARE IN A SPIRITUAL WAR and we believe the entertainment industry is supplying the majority of ammunition aimed at our family. Not all of today’s songs are attacking our values but it is crucial that you know what MTV is feeding our kids.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Letter to the Editor
    January 11, 2004

" I originally contacted you to review Everquest, which you did, a couple of years ago after my son's life was enveloped by it. Please pray for "Evan" as he has moved on from there to other games as his life is slowly being stolen away and he has turned from being a very active Christian youth to someone who scorns the mention of anything Christian and is wholly involved in occultic games. Pray for his deliverance and freedom and a complete hunger for the One True God.

Thanks,

his mom "

5. Jodo Kast

Jodo Kast New Member

I don't believe "The game" had negatively influenced me over all. In the end I feel much more profound delight in my faith. Not everyone who plays this game has faith to put it into perspective. I am lucky.

I think what my real point is here: if something so evil can be thought up by men and women of this world; just imagine how the real thing would be.

on BB does anyones church participate in "Judgement house"

6. Jodo Kast

Jodo Kast New Member

Diane, I am sorry to hear that the boy is being enveloped in occultic games. :( Did you write that, or was that another mother writing to the editor.

the link you provided, I read alot of the reviews of games I have actually played through and know inside and out. I believe these people can be trusted. I agreed with them on many points (most actually). nice link [​IMG]

I am going to check the music reviews next. Not that I listen to anything on MTV (becuase its not my preference of music). Just curious checking.

7. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

How can we be warned against the game if the name has been 'snipped'? :confused:

Would someone please PM me and let me in on this?

Thanks,
    §ue

8. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Judo, that letter was off the website and was not mine. It really touched me tho.

Glad you like the website! They're always looking for game reviewers!

Diane

9. superdave

superdave New Member

Jodo,
    I felt much the same way about the first iteration of that game, as well as the related family of games.

I have no problem with scary or even violent games really, other than the obvious need to control kids access to them, no different than movies, but the occult overtones of some games do make them disturbing to me on another level, and so I usually avoid them.

Plus, I am making a concerted effort not to run windows, and making games work well (especially with 3d accelerated graphics) in Linux takes more time than I am willing to spend on it. Not to mention the cost of keeping your system up to the latest gaming standards. Theres a new video card out every 6-8 hours.

The game market will soon be moving to more standard system interfaces like java to allow easier porting of their code engines to other operating systems, since Microsloth is no longer the only game in town.

10. Jodo Kast

Jodo Kast New Member

I have no problems with them either. Well one day ,maybe, we will play together on some OS? or until I figure out why I should hate Microsoft.

11. Sularis

Sularis Member

Thats easy Jodo - they make bad software - with holes you can drive a Mac truck through

1) Fix the bugs - patches suck
    2) They havent come out with a really mindblowing new concept since - Windows 3.1 got Office
    3) They sue or buy anyone who dares come up with a mindblowing concept and thus run it into the ground and you get a broken mindblowing concept that keeps needing patches
    4) I dont want to use IE - stop making it so dang crucial to your other programs - I want to use Outlook Express but I dont want to use IE - you try its pretty gosh hard