1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Visions

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by bodyofchrist32, Apr 24, 2010.

1. mercy4all

mercy4all New Member

Thank you all for sharing your visions/dreams. I have had a dream or two over many, many years about reaching out to someone at a very specific time for salvation -- a dream of urgency. My 14-year old daughter has had several that she privately keeps journaled and shares only with me and a deacon of our church.

2. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Three pages and the OP still can't answer my question. This is what happens when you base your doctrines on subjective and esoteric experiences instead of the objective and authoritative word of God.

3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly where in the OP, or on this thread, is this accusation of yours substantiated? I say you are blantantly, wrongly, accusing.

4. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps because He wanted to reveal something to BOC's wife that had nothing to do with His body per se'!

I do believe that God can and does give individual guiding as He sees fit to other than the BODY as a whole.

Do you think otherwise, or, that He never leads an individual (by whatever means He chooses) but only the BODY as a whole??

His Word is the guide for ALL people, but He may want just "ole Dan" to stand on the corner & preach next Friday at 10AM. If such is the case He certainly is not going to tell His whole church to "--preach on the corner next Friday at 10AM."

5. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Hey John,

What doctrine is being based on the dream/vision? I mean really, who is establishing doctrine here?

6. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dreams, Visions and Prophecy Must Meet the Scripture Test

All of the three above events must be supported and confirmed by existing Scripture. I believe the dream that this lady experienced is supported by the Great Commission to go and witness to ALL the world. Plus other Scripture teaching us to witness, sow the seeds, and reap the harvest before our eyes. This dream seems to have recharged her, and given her a new unction to witness to family members for the Lord.

As for the "rapture" or, being lifted into the air to meet the Lord, I Thess. 4:16-17 seem to be supporting that portion of her dream. At least, this is what I gathered from her husband's words in the post.

The dream, and her subsequent action would appear to meet the litmus test of proving this to be of God.

I hope this helps you to come a little closer to understanding what she seems to have experienced through a dream.:godisgood:

7. bodyofchrist32

bodyofchrist32 New Member

First of all, JohnDeereFan, It is not that I "can't" answer you, or that i'm avoiding your question for some reason, as you implied. The truth is, I very seldom log onto this site, because from past experience, I have found most of the people on here, as least the one's i've had dealings with, to be very beligerent and disrespectful, and often come off with a "holier than thou" attitude rather than with the Christian love which Christ taught His followers. It hasn't even crossed my mind to access this thread in weeks now, until this morning. Now, before I answer your question, I would like to ask you the same question which someone else has posted. Precisely what "doctrines" have I based upon this dream. You don't know me, but I assure you that I have based my doctrinal views upon scripture and scripture ALONE!!! Yes, I found the dream interesting, and I believe it to be from God. It reminded both my wife and I of the urgency of witnessing to her family, so I found it to be helpful. I'm well aware of the fact that scripture teaches us to witness and that scripture tells us the Lord is coming back. Does that mean that it is impossible or unnescessary for God to use other means to remind His children of those truths, or to make it more personal and urgent for them, as He sees a need to? No. If that is your view, then there would also be no need for a pastor to preach to believers on the Great Commission, or on the second coming, since scripture teaches us about them. Now, to answer you're question, I believe that scripture is the true and final revelation from God, and that He will reveal no "new truth", because He has revealed what He wants known. Therefore the Koran, book of Mormon,etc., are not revelations from God and are rather nothing short of heresy. But, I believe that God does choose to emphasize, if you will, certain truths, which are already contained in His Word, if there is a need. For instance, my wife and I both were very aware of what the Word of God says about witnessing. But, over time, after witnessing to her family over and over, and seeing no visible results, we became discouraged in a sense, and our efforts began to dwindle. I'm not saying that was right, but it does happen, and if you'll be honest, if you witness faithfully for the Lord, it has happened to you. Every faithful believer experiences this at some point. So, in my view, God chose to communicate with her through a dream, to give her a new sense of urgency about winning her loved ones. The fact that God would choose to operate in this way in NO WAY takes away from the authority of scripture.

8. bodyofchrist32

No, I never said that myself, or my wife were being told anything that God hasn't told anyone else. Also, I never said or implied that God revealed anything to either of us that wasn't contained in His Word. The only aspects of this dream were witnessing and the second coming of our Lord. God has revealed both of these things in His Word, and to every person who has ever picked up and read a Bible, so i'm sorry, but your logic doesn't stand. Also, as I stated in the post above, yes, there was a lesser sense of urgency before she had this dream, and I might add that this dream has rekindled a fire within both of us. As far as your last statement, sexual or violent dreams obviously are not from God. I never said that every dream was from God, so again, your logic doesn't stand. Are you sure you replied to the right post, or were you reading another post in which someone claimed new revelation from God and that all dreams came from above, and accidentily replied to this one?

9. bodyofchrist32

Once again I must point out that I never said anything about revelation. I know this was a dream. My point was that I believe that this dream was from God. And yes, i'm well aware of the fact that scripture says nothing about any green tint to unbelievers. I think the green tint and white light were representative of sinfulness and righteousness. Since they were representations, then no, it is not adding something that is not contained in scripture, since scripture teaches a great deal about both sinfulness and righteousness.