1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Visitors Wearing Hats in Church

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by sag38, Oct 8, 2012.

1. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Obviously, turning this into an argument for the sake of arguing and then winning the argument is very important to you.

Is it really that important to you that you're willing to brow beat somebody over a matter of adiaphora? That seems kind of sad to me.

Anyhoo, since you seem to be getting worked up over this and since it seems that you're just looking for an excuse to tell me how our church and our cultural norms are not up to your high standards, I'm going to go ahead and put you on ignore.

So you have the last word. I hope it brings you the satisfaction you're looking for.

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OH, THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

:applause:

3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Around here where I was raised and lived, we didn't eat at the table with our hats on. I still take mine off before I eat....even if it's a mess, and I am at Applebee's.....YUM.....:).......I still take it off.

TBS, I agree with what you said here, and rather like it. But I, personally, wouldn't say anything. But, if someone leaves and never comes back because someone asked them to take their hat off, they were probably looking for an excuse to begin with, imo.

4. Gib

Gib Active Member

Years ago we stopped at a hole in the wall buffet. Sorta reminded me of Andrew Zimmern's song "greasy, grimy gopher guts" but we was hungry so we ate. I had a hat on. A lady came over and struck up a sarcastic "not really there" conversation with me about their little town. She reminded me of Flo from Mel's diner.

She ended her snide words with, "Honey, where we're from, we take our hats off when we're inside and eating." I should have taken off my hat at that point, but instead without even thinking, this is what came out of my mouth. "Mam, where we're from, we don't." She laughed at me, I laughed at her and all left with their bellies full. :tongue3:

5. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same here. Where I'm from, we don't even wear hats inside.

Incidentally, I think I'm the only man who wears a hat anymore (7 3/4, in case you were wondering). You see baseball caps all the time, but you don't see men wearing hats very often anymore.

But then, if you think that's unusual, you ought to see the stares we get when we go out and stand every time one of the girls leaves or comes back to the table.

Normally, I wouldn't either, but the question was asked what I would say if I did say something.

I agree.

6. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

One of our church's members has had to undergo treatment to remove a tumor from the top front part of his skull. A skin graft was used to cover that portion where the operation took place.

As a result, he wears a hat during the services. His not doing so would probably be more of a distraction than not wearing one.

I don't have a problem with this, and I doubt whether anyone else in our church does either (especially since he's one of our most beloved brothers).