1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Voting in America...with poll

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by bobbyd, Jan 16, 2008.

?
  1. Right

16 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Privilege

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I heard someone on Fox News say that voting was their "God given right", do you think voting is a right or a privilege? And why?

2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I voted it's a right. If it's a privilege, it can be taken away arbitrarily. If it's a right, it takes something major to lose the right to vote, such a felony conviction.

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

It is a priviledge, a right, and the duty of a citizen.

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not an absolute right. In our legal system, the government has no authority to take it away, so in that sense, it is a right.

However, God has not given us an absolute right to self-government. After all, I highly doubt that the Lord will ask us for a vote "by and by."

5. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I would say (as an outsider, being British) that it is both a privilege and a right. I am not sure that voting (whether in America or anywhere else) is a God-given right though. I cannot think of any biblical backing for such an idea.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I consider voting a RESPONSIBILITY for every American!

Many will fail to vote for apathy - They need to re-examine their priorities

Many will fail to vote because of bad weather - Stop and think about our soldiers - often they serve in adverse conditions

Many will fail to vote because they don't know who to vote for. Get involved, go to meetings, read the paper, read the web, call the candidate. Find out!

Many will fail to vote because they don't have time - Actually the correct terminology is - they refuse to make time - (no matter how busy we are, we always find time to eat)

Many will fail to vote because they cant get to the polls - Actually they are too lazy to find a way - take a bus, many organizations will give you a ride - etc - its funny how we can always find a way to get somewhere if we really want to go

Many will say, I will be out of town - do a write in ballot

Many Will fail to vote beacuse... for every EXCUSE - I can give you a REASON!

SALTY

7. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

Wow! Good answer.

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Voting is a right.

Amendment XIX

The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of sex.

Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Amendment XXIV

Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any state by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax.

Section 2. The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Amendment XXVI

Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States, who are 18 years of age or older, to vote, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any state on account of age.

Section 2. The Congress shall have the power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

9. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to the Consitution, it is a right.

However, the question of whether or not it is a "God-given" right goes beyond the scope of the constitution.

10. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

This is how I believe also, that's why I couldn't vote in the poll.

For those who don't believe it's a right. Remember when women didn't have the right to vote?

11. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ahh, the good ol' days.... :laugh: :laugh:

now ducking and running for cover:tonofbricks:

12. I Am Blessed 24

How did I know THAT was coming...:laugh: :tonofbricks:

13. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

[​IMG]

:D

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If something is a right then it is not a privilege.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It's compared to driving...and that is always stated to be a privilege, not a right. To vote you must...

Be registered
    Be at least 18 years of age
    Be an American Citizen
    Not be convicted of a felony.

If you meet the requirements, you can vote. That sounds like privilege to me, as everybody cannot participate...

16. I Am Blessed 24

It is a privilege to exercise my right to vote.

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess when the U.S. constitution has the word "right" that it is just funning with us.

And some folks accuse liberals of twisting the meaning of the words in the U.S. constitution. :rolleyes:

18. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I don't agree, I'm afraid. You and I live in countries where we have the right to vote our leaders in and out of office. That right is a privilege not enjoyed by people living in totalitarian regimes. Or to take a scriptural example, Christians are told in Hebrews 13.10:

We have an altar from which those who serve the tabernacle have no right to eat.

Is that right not also a privilege?

19. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

It's not a God given right.

Also, voting won't change much. Putting a fallible man in charge won't fix our government or anyone else's.

They all lie, I doubt that will ever change. Voting won't change the coming of the anti-christ and so on.

20. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Surely they don't all lie. I agree that they are all fallible, and I'm sure that they have all lied at some time because we are all sinners. But that's one of those broad-brush statements that makes all politicians sound like habitual liars. I think there are godly people in politics - just like there are good attorneys and car salesmen.

I also think that since we have the right to vote as outlined in the constitution that we do need to vote. Voting might not change anything, but NOT voting sure will.