1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wal-Mart gives more to Gays.

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Jarthur001, Nov 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

I keep getting updates on this Wal-Mart deal. Just passing them along.

http://sanfrancisco.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/stories/2006/06/26/story7.html

$60, 000 this time..

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Man, another place to boycott :)

Where am I going to find toilet paper? :D

3. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Few people will boycott Wal-Mart. People like money more then a "cause" in this age. All it would take would be 1 full month where no church member shopped there, and they would get the message. This will never happen, because this will cost the shopper $25 in a months time. 25$ is not worth a "cause".

In days gone by, people would do this, for then a cause is worth the pain in order to see a good outcome. Today the good cause is money. If we change what we view as good, it would happen. Till then shop at Wal-mart and save $25 a month.

4. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

I wish you people got this passionate about sweatshops and conglomerates pushing single-family farms out of business.

Fighing homosexuality is so much sexier than addressing real injustice in the world, isn't it?

:BangHead:

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Good point - why do we not boycott products where children are virtual slaves in order for us the get cheap goods?

6. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

I'm going to hazard a guess... Sweatshops are protested by <gasp> liberals. (Same for conglomerates pushing single-family farms out of business.)

What the horror. The world just might come to an end if "liberals" and the "Christian right" were affiliated in any way. Who cares about the cause? :eek: :rolleyes:

7. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

What about "boycott WalMart" do you not understand?

:smilewinkgrin:

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

Your all about greed aren't you, you assume becasue everyone else doesn't do what you do it must be becasue they are greedy. Where do you get this figure of $25 ? Let me tell you if I stopped shopping at Wal Mart it would cost me a lot mor ethen that, and you assume I even have an extra $25. This month my water was cut off, a few months ago it was my electric. This past week when I went grocery shopping I bought bread milk, eggs and crackers, becasue I didn't have money for more.
    Some people may be made of money and be able to afford to spend more, like money grows on trees, money is no object, but for the rest of us we go without. Something you obviously know nothing about.
    So stop putting people who don't have much donw becasue they don't have what you have.

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Thinking products, not shops.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Bible doesn't condmn slavery, but it condmens homosexuality.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I was kidding about boycotting Mal Mart, BTW. If you start boycotting one company, you better boycott all of them, because there will be something wrong about each one. We are told to live in the world but not be part of it (sin)...not boycott the stores in it.

12. Bro. James Reed

And here I had already bought some "Boycott Wal-Mart" signs and hung them in the yard.

Y'all just ruined all my fun.:laugh:

13. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Perhaps the problem is even deeper...

It's relatively easy, and (in certain circles) popular, to protest the actions and beliefs of others.

Facing the reality of goods produced in sweatshops, items manufactured and sold to benefit unjust regimes, and the fruits of modern slavery means that we must go further than simply griping or boycotting - we must change our lifestyles. For North Americans, that's simply too much to ask.

14. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

If you feel lead by the Lord to do this, then you should. Always follow Gods leading.

It is my guess if you take up this fight, no one will care just as the Wal-Mart boycott. Why? The same reason given for Wal-Mart. We all (even the church) LOVE our money more then the problem we SAY we dislike. We say we dislike things, but do nothing about it. If you dislike what you see...do something about it. It will cost you some time and or money if you do. If you don't do anything, it means its not worth it to you. Money means more then the cause.

This is not to jump on you...it applies to us all.

#14 Jarthur001, Nov 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2006
  15. Bro. James Reed

You made an accusation about webdog's mental status, but I noticed you did nothing to prove webdog wrong.

I challenge you to find one place in scripture that condemns slavery.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Don't count on it. Tragic's a troll.

17. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Webdog, I know you was just joking when you posted what you did. But I'm glad you did, for it opened up the thread to new thoughts.

The point is.....
    Is it a real problem to you? Each of us will need to ask this. If its a REAL problem do something. If you see slavery as a problem get busy.

I'm speaking to myself as well. If I can't fight for a cause, what good am I? I am just self centered in love with my time and money. There is no reason I can't take up a cause and fight for what is right, even if I'm the only one. Sadly, I have to say..I hardly do this.

18. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Hmmm... It says something about loving your neighbor in there, I think. Being kind to the stranger and alien, too. I would argue that if one does something unthinkable - that is, reading Scripture in its context, rather than developing a theology through prooftexting and what our pastor tells us to believe, we will find that Scripture supports a common love and support of humans for one another that would make slavery impossible. Kind of hard, after all, to "regard others as better than yourself" and own them at the same time.

But I forget that, for many of you, the historical context of Scripture is irrelevant. I apologize for expecting too much from you.

19. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

I think all we can do is what is in front of us. Buying coffee from places that deal in fair-trade, for example, and shopping for cliothing made in sweat-free shops comes to mind.

If everyone focuses on doing the next thing, we'll get it all accomplished.

20. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

This is the 3rd time you posted sweatshops. It is clear this is on your mind and you see as a problem. Have you stopped shopping at Wal-mart who uses sweatshops?

http://www.clrlabor.org/campaigns/wal-mart/resources.htm

If not, then its not a real problem to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.