1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wal-Mart Settles Worker Suit for $54M

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Crabtownboy, Dec 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And a large percentage of them come from China. :laugh:

They just charge more than Wal Mart for them. Fixed expenses force them to.

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

They are in S. Texas also.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not their meat and cheese.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

While at one time WalMart paid good wages to their workers and many of my friends worked there. Today that is not the case.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am no expert and he explained it to me. I am not sure I understood everything he told me. The only thing that makes sense to me is that when a middle man buys something for 50 cents and sells it for a dollar he has not had to spend anything to produce the product and makes more money than the supplier.

6. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is the beef from Argentina?

Is the pork from Ireland?

Is the cheese from Switzerland and Belgium?

Seriously, we live in such an interconnected world it is hard to know where the food is comeing from these days. The Irish just had a huge recall of all their pork products produced since September. Note in the quote below some of these products were shipped to the US ... I don't know what stores were selling it, but if they could buy it cheaply enough WalMart surely could have had some, just as Safeway, Giant, Piggly-Wiggly, etc. could have also had some of these products on their shelves.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7769871.stm

http://209.85.129.132/search?q=cach...+ireland+pork+recall&hl=cs&ct=clnk&cd=9&gl=cz

7. billwald

billwald New Member

>The only thing that makes sense to me is that when a middle man buys something for 50 cents and sells it for a dollar he has not had to spend anything to produce the product and makes more money than the supplier.

The merchant puts out the 50 cents up front and spends time and money, taking the stuff where he thinks the people will pay him enough to make a profit. In the bad old days people put their stuff in a wagon or cart and went door peddling their stuff. Many, many people who came thru Ellis Island started out by buying cheap goods and selling the stuff on the street.

Anyone remember the Fuller Brush Man? That was a step up the food chain for him. Cloverine brand salve ads on the back of comic books?

In Bangladesh and other poor countries some people stayed alive by picking up bottle caps and selling them to people who had bottles but lost the caps.

Most living Americans don't have a clue about the bad old days. I worked with a guy who was born in a one room dirt floor cabin in Alberta (British Columbia?) - he was about my age. Some may discover hard times in the next few years.

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hope not, but are you really all that sure? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.