1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Walking on the Water Question

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Scarlett O., Nov 27, 2019.

1. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When the disciples took off in the boat and Jesus was on the mountain top praying, where were they headed?

John 6 says "to Capernaum".

Mark 6 says ""to Bethsaida"

Matthew 14 says when they crossed over they were in "Gennesarat".

Help me with this one. This is for my personal notes and it's been bugging me.

2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, Mark 6:53 or so, says they went to Gennesarat after Jesus came to the boat, even though they at first were going to Bethsaida. So Matt. and Mark agree.

If I remember correctly, Gennesarat is a region, not a city. So one or more of these cities could be part of that region.

John does not write in chronological order, as the other gospels appear to do. We know the gospels record two mass feedings (5000 and 4000). It could be John is simply recording a different event.

We also see different responses from the disciples. In one case they are frightened and unsure of who Jesus is. In another, they declare Him to be the Son of God. The latter could reflect a similar but separate event that came late in His ministry.

Hope this helps.

Peace to you