1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

wanting to wean off my psyche meds

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by evenifigoalone, Jul 18, 2019.

1. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So I'm on psyche meds for social anxiety disorder and "mild" OCD. Honestly, the OCD comes and goes....my last episode lasted for months, but it's gone now. (OCD is a debilitating disorder, one of the most debilitating ones there is, but since mine comes and goes is why I consider it mild. I first experienced OCD at age 11, and it was the classic hand-washing stuff. That eventually went away. The OCD episodes I've had in recent years has taken a different form.)
    I honestly think the work I've put in in the past year may have helped me fully recover from social anxiety....that, or it's the meds suppressing my symptoms. Who knows. But I had a talk with my nurse today, again mentioning that I'd like to get off the meds eventually. She thinks I'll need them lifelong. But she did lower the dosage when I requested it, so we compromised.

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  2. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As long as you have not been psychotic or delusional to the point of harming yourself or others, going off the meds seem fine by me.

That being said, you need to find a doctor who will support you in this endeavor. It might be hard to find a doctor who will not prescribe unneeded medication.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do not wean without doctors supervision. Diet, water,and exorcise will play an important role in helping you with your anxiety. Stay off of processed foods i.w. white anything flour sugar etc. Try to eat as fresh and natural as you can.

4. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm pretty much stuck with the one I have tbh. The mental health clinic I go to has me on financial aid, and while there are other mental health places in town, I'm not sure they'd offer full financial aid like this one does.

5. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would be irresponsible for anyone to tell you to go against your doctor's orders, that is, unless it was another doctor who was willing to work with you, hear your concerns and help you find another route. However, I would tell you that yours is the final decision and it is up to you to manage which doctor's advise you wish to follow. BTW, it sounds to me your nurse is operating out of/beyond the scope of her field.

6. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    She's a nurse practitioner rather than an RN, so she's the one who prescribes my meds. I had been diagnosed by a different person, though...I think that one was an APRN? I could be wrong though. But the clinic I go to, their medical staff is made up of NPs and APRNs. The website for the clinic lists several psychiatrists as well, but I don't think they generally do medication management. It actually looks like the lady who originally diagnosed me no longer works there.