1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

'Warlike Christians in an Age of Violence'

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Martin Marprelate, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I received this book at Christmas from my daughter who's a lecturer in International Relations at Exeter University, UK. It's written by a lecturer at Newcastle University with whom she has jointly written academic books and research papers. He is a member of a Baptist Church.

Warlike Christians in an Age of Violence by Dr. Nick Megoran (Cascade Books. ISBN 978-1-4982-1959-4).

I have recently completed a book review. Read it at https://marprelate.wordpress.com/2018/04/16/book-review-warlike-christians-in-an-age-of-violence/

I strongly recommend buying the book. Whether you agree with its premise or not, it's well worth reading.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting review, Martin, thank you.

3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting book/review. Not really well thought out, but interesting.

First he has the swords of Luke 22 being metphorical swords, then he has Peter using one of those "metaphorical" swords to cut off the Captain's ear.

I tend to think the swords are real, and they are to be used as defensive, not offensive, weapons.

In Luke 22:36 the purse is real, the scrip is read, the garment is real, and it stands to reason the sword is also real. "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."

One of the first things I was taught in Seminary in understanding the bible was "don't switch metaphors in mid stream." :)

4. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sorry not to have replied to this before. I must have missed it.
    The sword used by Peter to cut of Malchus' ear was presumably one of the two mentioned in Luke 22:38. There was nothing metaphorical about them. My problem with our Lord's words in v. 36 being literal is that when the disciples say, "Here are two swords," he says," It is enough" rather than "They are enough." And how are two swords among 11 going to be enough?
    Finally, when Peter uses one of the swords to protect Him, Jesus says, "Put your sword in its place; for all who take the sword will die by the sword" (Matthew 26:52). Odd words if He has just instructed His disciples to tool up.

• Like Like x 2