1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Warren has an agenda that doesn't include preaching about sin

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by matt wade, Apr 8, 2009.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

[​IMG]

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Mudslinging (and this from the first page) =

More heat than light? Absolutely

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Because what was said was a misrepresentation of what he truly said and he wanted to apologize for that. Do you not apologize for when someone misunderstands something you've done? I tell someone that I don't like peas. Someone tells Mary that I don't like HER peas. I feel it's necessary to go to Mary and apologize and tell her that it's not HER peas I don't like but any peas. That's just being gracious. Is there a problem with that?

Jeepers, I can see how the wrong thing gets out to the public just through this thread. The misrepresentations are amazing.

4. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

No, if someone misrepresents what I say, I don't apologize! Why would I apologize because someone else did something wrong? I certainly would make sure that the misrepresentation was taken care of and my true words were conveyed, but I would not apologize. Apologizing means I said or did something wrong.

Mr Warren knows what it means to apologize and that's what he did. He didn't say that he cleared up the misunderstanding, he said he apologized.

5. matt wade

Let's see the mudslinging I've done:

Wow, I said that he calls himself something. That's bad right? Of course we both know that I was insinuating that he isn't a baptist preacher at all. If that's mudslinging, then I guess I'm guilty.

This one isn't mudslinging. It is a fact. He said he never made any statement about the issue ("never once issued a statement, never -- never once even gave an endorsement in the two years Prop. 8 was going") and then it was shown he did make a statement ("We support Proposition 8 -- and if you believe what the Bible says about marriage, you need to support Proposition 8").

He's either a liar or has a very, very bad memory.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

A few years ago, I had a young woman from church e-mail me asking if I could help find someone who could help her at home since she was having difficulty running her home. She has dealt with some mental issues and was having a hard time at that point and just needed someone to help out. I told her I'd ask around and I'd get back to her. About a week later, I sent her another e-mail telling her that I had called around and didn't find anyone. That was the end of it, I thought.

Well, a year later, I got this huge long e-mail telling me how much I hurt her during a difficult time in her life. That my ignoring her and deciding that she meant nothing to me was devastating to her and she finally had to release that hurt and tell me that I was not a friend, not a Christian woman and a terrible pastor's wife. I was shocked! I had seen her since then and had asked how she was doing and she'd say "fine" but she never told me what was truly going on. I called her immediately to find out what was wrong and she never got my e-mail! I sent her a copy of it (I keep much of my correspondence with friends) to show her that I did send one way back then.

Now, did I do anything wrong? No. Did I apologize? Absolutely. Even though I had done nothing wrong, someone was hurt and she felt that I had hurt her. I told her I was so sorry and that I should have made sure she got the e-mail and followed up on her. I was so sorry that she inadvertently was hurt by what happened.

If you say something to someone, and through the gossip channels, it gets to someone that you said something else, you wouldn't apologize? You wouldn't say "I'm so sorry! I didn't say that and I never would. I'm so sorry that it got to you that way and that you were hurt by it. Please know I didn't say that." and see what happens? You'd just say "Suck it up. I never said that." and walk away?

What about if your wife read your going out with friends one night that she wasn't important? While it's not true, that's what she felt from you going out. You wouldn't apologize?

Wow, you're cold.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

SIGH - WHO is lying?

all from the transcript at http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0904/06/lkl.01.html

8. matt wade

What's your point? That's what he said in that particular interview. It doesn't negate the fact the he made other statements. How about this one that he posted on his blog??

http://saddlebackfamily.com/blogs/newsandviews/index.html?contentid=1502

Watch that video and then come back and tell me that he didn't make a statement about prop 8. Come back and tell me why he said (after the election and after that statement), "never once issued a statement, never -- never once even gave an endorsement in the two years Prop 8 was going".

Sorry...he lied. The proof that he lied is on his own web site!

9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Let's be clear, if someone comes to me as an adulterer or a liar then they know they have a problem or they wouldn't be coming to me. I'm sure not going to tell them what their doing is ok or do anything to ease their conscious. Then I would be lying.

I would encourage them to discuss the matter with their spouse and be willing to accept the consequences. Confessing is the first step to repenting and there is no forgiveness unless we repent. I would also set them down from all leadership duties in the Church.

Would they loose their salvation or be kicked out the Church, no... But the Lord does ask us to be Holy as he is Holy.

10. matt wade

No, I wouldn't tell them to "suck it up". I would nicely explain to them that I hadn't wronged them and that gossip distorted what I said. Where did I say that I would just say "suck it up" and walk away? I believe I said I would explain the situation. That's not saying "suck it up".

No, I wouldn't apologize. Again, in that situation I did nothing wrong. I may tell my wife that I sympathize with her feelings or that maybe we should communicate better in the future, but I wouldn't apologize for something I didn't do.

The definitions for apologize are:

acknowledge faults or shortcomings or failing
    to acknowledge some fault or offense, with expression of regret for it, by way of amends
    an expression of regret at having caused trouble for someone
    a written or oral expression of regret and acknowledgement of the harm done to the victim by the respondent/defendant

An apology is admiting you've done something wrong. I have no problem with admiting I've done something wrong when I've actually done something wrong. Ask my wife...I've apologized to her many, many times. But, to apologize when I've done nothing wrong just lessons the meaning of any future apologies.

Oh..and actually I'm feeling rather warm at the moment :).

11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The term I used "the golden child"was not directed at him. It is a reference to the way he is treated on this board. It is in no way a reflection of him.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Ummm - wasn't that done the week before the election - as he said? He SAID someone asked him about it - and he made a statement. You are not reading the facts. In the 2 years Prop 8 was going, he didn't make a statement - until about a week before the election (and that video was done 11 days before the election). Someone asked him about it - and he responded. What's the issue? He's telling the truth.

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Wow. I'm glad my husband does not believe as you do. You don't need to do anything wrong to apologize. You need to be able to lay down your rights to be right - and apologize sometimes.

Rick Warren apologized for what was said. He took the high road and went to the people to say "I know what people are saying. I'm sorry that you are hearing that but it is not what I said." Is that wrong?

You've got some studying to do on apologizing, I'd think.

Hey - I said "I'm sorry" when my girlfriend lost her baby at 39 weeks. It wasn't my fault but I still said "I'm sorry." :tear:

14. matt wade

He gave an endorsement of it before the election. What else is it other than an endorsement? It doesn't matter if it happened a year before the election or 11 days, it's still an endorsement. Then he later said he never gave an endorsement. How can you explain that away?

15. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

From www.rickwarren.com, under the "about" tab

If the "liberal media" title was given to him, he sure doesn't mind using it or letting people know how he is percieved by this "liberal media"

He might not stand on the mountains and shout it, but he apparently isn't shying away from it either.

I am glad to see him brining religions together and not being apart from all other denominations, America's Pastor.

#55 ShotGunWillie, Apr 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2009
  16. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

There are some people you just can't criticize, RW being one of them. He is considered the 13th Imam by some.

17. matt wade

Another lie is that he says he didn't equate gay marriage to incest or pedophilia ("And I was asked a question that made it sound like I equated gay marriage with pedophilia or incest, which I absolutely do not believe."). He did equate it to those in a beliefnet interview:

He was asked a question that made it sound like? He was asked a yes or no question and he answered it. There's not any room for interpretation. It's clear cut question with a clear cut answer.

This is what you say he is apologizing for. So, what you say he is apologizing for is not something that was misconstrued. So, what exactly was he apologizing for? Maybe he should apologize for lying?

18. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

It appears to me that RW has gone down the same path as Billy Graham. It won't be long before he too announces that those who do not believe in Jesus can be saved.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

When has Billy Graham ever said one can receive salvation apart from Christ? For someone that wants much grace on this board, RB...you really need to set the example by not falsely accusing the instruments God uses, not to mention your "prophesy" of RW's apostacy away from Christ.

20. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

My source work is at home. It was in an interview with Robert Schuller, the heretic over at the Crystal Cathedral. Grahamn, in my view, went into total apostacy.

Added, here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNCnxA91fHE

"They may not even know the name of Jesus.." and therefore they are of the body of Christ and saved. According to Graham people can love and know Christ whether they are conscience of it or not.

Heretic.

#60 ReformedBaptist, Apr 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2009