1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was Georgia overrated?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by StefanM, Oct 21, 2006.

1. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Much ado has been made over Tennessee's 51-33 victory over Georgia.

But...

The significance of that victory seems to be waning in the light of UGA's SEC games so far.

at Mississippi W 14-9 /Tennessee L 33-51 /Vanderbilt L 22-24

Then, today, UGA dodged a bullet at home vs. Miss. State (27-24), only securing the victory with a last-second fumble recovery.

So I ask, was this former top-10 team overrated?

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I imagine that the apologists for the MIGHTY TENNESSEE VOLUNTEERS will continue to stress that win by the MIGHTY TENNESSEE VOLUNTEERS over Georgia was a major point in the 2006 college football season.

3. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently. I guess we'll know for sure after next Saturday.

However they are still one of the top 3 most talented teams in the SEC. They have a QB controversy that has really inhibited their offensive development. Joe T should have never started but after he did they should have replaced him when he played so poorly against early season nobodies.

OTOH, it is difficult to say how much confidence they lost in their collapse against UT and loss to Vandy.

Yeah Ken, Arkansas' win over a not very talented Ole Miss team is much more impressive than UT's slaughter of an UGA team chock full of 4 and 5 star players. You could argue that UGA hasn't beaten anyone... but Ole Miss really, literally hasn't beaten anyone.

4. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...except for that Vanderbilt game...the team that beat UGA...

UGA hasn't really had impressive wins. They are a good team, but this year they seem to be on the middle rung of the SEC--not the top.

Ole Miss has obviously struggled, but look at some of their losses--Missouri, Wake Forest, Alabama, Arkansas--substantive teams, 3 of which are currently top 25 teams. They aren't Duke.

Bottom line: The Bulldogs aren't all they were cracked up to be, and Ole Miss isn't good--but Ole Miss isn't Southeast Alabama Community College either.

The Arkansas victory over the Rebels isn't more impressive than the Tennessee victory over the Dogs--it just shows that we have two good teams here.

Nov. 11 should be a good game.

--------

5. On the Edge

On the Edge New Member

They aren't necessarily overrated, they just can't get their act together. In the first half of the UGA-UT game they ran over UT but lost it in the second half, same in the Vandi game. I am a UGA fan. Stayin true to the red and black. They can't play consistent, this has been a problem throughout the last couple years, a big win against a tough team then and narrow win against an unranked team has been the usual story.

BTW i wouldnt gloat too much over GA's loss to TN and Vandi, we just look like TN did last year (loss to Ga, loss to Vandi) Its just one of those years, 2 SEC championships in 3 appearences in 4 years. Not too bad. If UGA can rebuild the team and train some guys up they'll be up to the task again.

GO DAWGS!!!

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would hope that all knowledgeable major college football fans can agree that those recruiting services are definitely overrated.

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Recruiting classes show their worth on the field. Injuries happen and sometimes players don't pan out. This is not the UGA of recent years. I've said all along that Richt's penchant for panic came through in the loss to UT. If Arkansas had beaten UGA that bad, we'd be hearing nothing but praise for UGA and what a mighty win it was by the #1 ranked Razorbacks (Since OSU is a fluke compared to the Hogs) :thumbs:

8. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think the stats show they were. UGA can easily end up with four or five losses this year, which will be the worst under Coach Richt. Seems like the good 'ol days with Coach Goff.

If only they could lose out -- including a loss to Kentucky. One could only wish.

9. TomVols

TomVols New Member

The Tennessee fans need UGA to beat FLA - something Richt has proven he's unable to do - for UT to have a shot to go to Atlanta. I guess I'll be cheering for the 'Dogs.

10. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They aren't going to specify which players will make it and which ones won't. Generally though, they are pretty accurate. They are probably 80% or better in identifying talent.

Some things they rate have nothing to do with game play- 40 times, shuttle times, strength. Some of it is necessarily biased by perceptions of the quality of HS football played in various states.

No. Overall, recruiting services aren't overrated. They aren't 100% accurate in their projections but they are well above 50%. Rarely does a 0-2 star player become a star... occasionally but not often.

11. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ole Miss has? You aren't really arguing that Ole Miss is as good or as talented as UGA are you?

Talent doesn't always translate to performance on the field. UT may have had the most talented team in the SEC last year... to go with their 5-6 record. UGA has great talent. Like someone else said, they haven't put it together.... yet. I'd be nervous if I were a UF fan. This game definitely carries the possibility that UF will underestimate UGA. On a football board, one UF fan that is usually pretty reasonable has given UGA no chance at all. That's a dangerous attitude if it is at all reflective of the UF team.
    Top tier talent. Middle or worse peformance. It happens.

Some of their losses? That's a hoot. Go ahead and balance that out by showing all of their losses.

They simply aren't a good football team. You can't remold it anyway to prove that they are. Arkansas blew them out. UT blew out an equally miserable Memphis team that played nose to nose with Ole Miss.
    You're right. Duke might be better. They are definitely doing more with what they have.

Never said they were. To this point they are gross underachievers.

Ole Miss is really, really that bad. They aren't underachieving... they're achieving about what they should. They came in all hyped on Schaeffer but he's been what alot of us UT fans thought he might be- a waste of talent because of his ego and lack of discipline.

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

As far as GA's talent, I can't think of but maybe a couple of players that will be playing on Sundays. Can you?

13. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. Stafford, a couple of their o-linemen, at least one but maybe all three of those backs, Massaquoi, both of the DE's, one of their CB's, maybe 2 of their LB's,...

If I were where I could get to their roster I'd name them for you. They still remind me alot of UT last year. UT had what 4 or 5 drafted from that team after last year not counting the ones like Ainge, Meachem, Sears, Harrell, etc that will be drafted this year or next.

I just hope UGA turns it around this week. USC or Vandy could beat UF but it isn't very likely.

14. TomVols

TomVols New Member

First, Stafford is a true freshman. Let's not put him in the NFL just yet. Not sure about their OL. Massaquoi is a Soph. Last year was a good year, but this year? Quentin Moses? Okay, I can agree with that. Battle (CB), maybe. Jackson (LB) I might agree would be a late rounder. Aside from that, the rest are either marginal or too under-class to tell. Lot of underclassmen on that field in black and red.

USC or Vandy definitely could beat UF. If I were a wagering man, I'd think Vandy has the best chance. USC is not going to win in the Swamp, barring Newton having the game of his life...Check that, the whole team having the game of its life. FLA will be out for blood. Vandy feels jobbed from last year (and they have every right to feel that way) and Vandy has typically played the Gators tough in Nashville. Given Richt's inability (Especially as of late) to consistently win big games and his lack of success against FLA, I don't see much happening for the Dogs this Sat. I hope we see the Richt from last year's SEC title game and not the Richt that has been dominated by the top 15.

15. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You asked if I could think of players who will play on Sundays in the future. Even the best of them aren't guaranteed right now.

I gave you the names of some guys that have good chances to be there based on talent. Talent well used wins games. I like Richt so I hope he gets it together. You had some decent points about Vandy but the reason they are Vandy is that they can't close the deal. Their game against UT last year was an exception to a very, very, very well established rule.

16. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The odds-makers have UGA favored, and they usually know what they are doing. I just don't see the dawgs beating UF this year. Given the way UGA has played so far, I would think they's be 7-10 underdog.

On a side note, both universities have requested that the networks not use the "world's largest cocktail party" moniker any more.

17. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oddsmakers don't really try to predict... they try to make money.

I agree that UGA should be the underdog. OTOH, I keep telling people they're still a talent loaded team. They have the potential to bite either UF or Auburn. I'd suspect that Auburn would be the more likely candidate since they aren't as purely talented as UF. However, UF might be underestimating them... Their fans sure are. I think they think that they are so much better than UT that if the Vols beat UGA then UF is a lock.

LSU isn't gone from the west quite yet. If UGA gets Auburn and LSU and UT both beat Arkansas... then we have a three mess in a west division that was supposed to have coronated a BCS CG participant several weeks ago when the Tigers played the Tigers.

18. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Scott's right about oddsmakers. They had Bama as nearly a 2 TD dog. to UT. Still, I can't fathom GA being favored by anything.

UF fans need to not think they're that much better than the Vols. That game was one or two plays from going much differently. I suppose that could be said either way. Point being, FLA found a way to win and their line-of-scrimmage dominance in the 2nd half was key to that, but to dominate a team on the LOS the way they did and win by one point? Doesn't make you world-beater.

Auburn could lose to UGA even if UGA loses to FLA. Auburn would have to turn in a "vs. ARK" performance, and UGA would have to play like it did 1st half against the Vols. Auburn just doesn't seem to have figured itself out, either, or isn't playing up to its potential, or was over-hyped, or....well, you get the idea.

I believe both divisions are still up for grabs. FLA will help its case by beating GA and has the easiest path in the East. The Vols have the toughest hill to climb, starting this Sat at SC. It's anyone's ballgame in the West, though ARK sits in the driver's seat for now. They have a much tougher road than FLA to get to Atlanta. Auburn isn't dead, and neither is LSU. Those who are writing off the Bayou Bengals aren't paying attention, though Miles has yet to prove he can get it done on the order he needs to in this conference.

19. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think Auburn was over-rated. I'm not saying they aren't a very good football team but they should have already lost to both LSU and UF. The only other decent team they've played besides Arkansas was Pac 10 mid-pack runner WSU.

20. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    UGA losing to UK...ouch.