1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was it Fair

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Senator Fred Thompson was required to give up his job ( and income ) on "Law & Order" in order to run for President. This is a FCC ruling - actually it says a station must give equal time to opposing candidates.

Senators Clinton, Obama, and McCain are also running for President, while still drawing their $150,000 + Senate salary.

Do you think that is fair?

Should current office holders be required to resign their position, if running for a different office. In addition, States such as Texas allow you to run for Senator and President in the same election.

Thoughts?

Salty

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think they should.

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the FCC ruling is unfortunate, given that his appearances were not in any way political.

No, I don't think politicians should be forced to give up their jobs. If that were the case, few people would run for President. We need to make sure that the American people have a wide variety of candidates.

I could agree to a situation in which they might remain Senators but collect a smaller salary.

4. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

The one plus I see to Senators keeping their jobs when they're out stumping for Presidential votes is that maybe they'll have less time to work in Congress on more silly government programs. Instead they can just make more promises to people which they won't be able to keep.

#4 Dragoon68, Apr 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2008
  5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes they should.

6. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also, I'm not really sure that a resignation would even save money.

The cost of cleaning out the old offices, replacing staff, moving expenses, etc., for the new Senator might wipe out the difference.

7. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I think it would be undesirable and unfortunate to have the only unemployed people run for public office in this country. We have a hard enough time as it is getting qualified people to run.

As far as the FCC ruling I think it is the correct one. Candidates shouldn't be allowed to have an advantage with face time on the air over the other candidates. The rule has nothing to do with someone being employed or not, but just to keep it fair. If you allow that you open up that someone like Oprah could run and use her show for an unbelievable advantage. Anyone with an open mike on a talk show would have an unfair advantage. No, the rule is a smart one indeed. What slippery slope that would become, if allowed.