1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WAS Jesus a Single-Versionist?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by robycop3, Jan 17, 2007.

1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was Jesus a Single-Versionist? While on earth as a man, He very well coulda been. The version from which He read aloud in Luke 4 was familiar to Him and His audience. It was apparently the 'official' version of that synagogue. Most of the NT quotes of the OT appear to closely match the readings of the LXX, including those made after Jesus had returned to heaven.

We had a thread earlier in which I asked if anyone could identify any one ms or set of mss that mighta been the one Jesus read from, but no one could pinpoint any certain one. I believe we can rule out that it was the Ben Chayyim Masoretic Text from which the KJV's OT was translated.

I've seen no evidence that Jesus used any other version save the one He read from in Luke 4.

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isaiah 61:1 in the Masoretic Hebrew says "the spirit of the Lord God"; in the LXX it says "the spirit of the Lord".

In Luke 4, Jesus used the LXX version

Isaiah 61:1 in the Masoretic Hebrew says, "because the Lord hath anointed me"; in the LXX it says "because He has anointed me.

Again, in Luke 4 Jesus used the LXX version

Isaiah 61:1 in the Masoretic Hebrew says, "to prisoners the opening up (of eyes); in the LXX it says "and recovery of sight to the blind".

Again, in Luke 4 Jesus used the LXX version

BUT THAT SAID, I could give you other places where the opposite is true (Jesus used the Masoretic Hebrew). Or a combination of the two.

So "one version"? No. Multiple, PLUS (being God) He could reword a text any which way He pleased and it was "right"!!!

Hope this helps

3. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Yes, only one version... His! :laugh:

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

:thumbsup:

Or apparently that of the temple in the aforementioned instance.

All His references were not necessarily "direct quotes" from any known 'version' that is extantextant, nor were all the writer's cites necessarily direct quotes from any known 'version' that is extant.

Example: "He shall be called a Nazarene."

Ed