1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was Noah's Family a "Cult"

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Mark Osgatharp, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp New Member

Churches who hold exclusively to the truth are often abused with such insults as "you think you're the only ones" and "no one has a monopoly on the truth." It has even become popular to label doctrinaly exclusive churches as "cults."

But out of a world of sinners, Noah and his family were the only ones who found grace in the eyes of the Lord. Just think about that. Eight souls - only EIGHT SOULS - saved by water when God destroyed the world the first time.

According to modern standards, Noah and his family would be labeled a cult. There they were proclaiming that God was going to destroy the world and only they would be left. Can't you imagine the invective that was heaped on them?

The rest is history.

Mark Osgatharp

2. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

yes, absolutely! [​IMG]

now, where do i sign up??

--

lots seem to think that their relationship with god is kinda important, but in reality other things come first. (lots.. get it? heh)

like family, or entertainment, or comfort, or fellowship, or popular ways of thinking, etc.

or even that somehow god owes them a favor. :eek:

they're willing to let jesus be the mashed potates, but not the roast beef!

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. Not by classical definition of a "cult" (with a new God, new plan of salvation, etc).

Out of the millions alive on planet earth in that day, God gave His grace to 8.

TALK ABOUT SOVEREIGN ELECTION!

People read "Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord" and think it was something NOAH did.

Wrong!

God showered His grace and believing faith on Noah (and kin). Didn't on anyone else and, guess what? NO ONE ELSE BELIEVED!

Cult? Nope. Recipient of grace just like Bob? Youbetcha! [​IMG]

4. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Couldn't have a cult then, they hadn't invented Kool-Aid yet. :D

Not a cult. One binding fact about ALL cults is that they are wrong. Noah was right.

Cults are secretive, have overt and covert brainwashing techniques, charismatic leader that draws the naive, warped doctrine (not just wrong).

5. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Cults are formed because a person, or group of people, pervert God's word and decide that this is what God really wants for them to do and believe, when it isn't.
    In Noah's case, however, it really was what God instructed him to do. This does not make Noah the head of a cult, it shows he was obedient.

6. Haruo

Haruo New Member

Well, yes, but that's exactly what it is — imagining. The Bible nowhere says that Noah and his family told anybody else what was happening, or said to anyone else that only they would be saved in the flood that was to come.

Haruo

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would disagree that Noah kept this to himself and that he did not tell anyone.
    He received God's grace and preached "rigtheousness" (truth) for 120 years!

8. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I agree. How would you keep a boat that big a secret? [​IMG]

9. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Goodness! 120 years is a LONG time to try and keep something a secret! I think, daily Noah shared what God had told him and daily he was ridiculed!

Diane

10. Mark Osgatharp

Well, yes, but that's exactly what it is — imagining. The Bible nowhere says that Noah and his family told anybody else what was happening, or said to anyone else that only they would be saved in the flood that was to come.

Haruo
    </font>[/QUOTE]Leland,

As Dr. Bob has pointed out, Noah was a preacher of righteousness. Perhaps I read a little too much into it. Maybe those people he preached to all thought Noah was a bastion of godly virtue and civic respectability. Maybe they paid him no mind at all.

In any event, the fact remains that when God shut the door all others were "left behind." Noah and family were - all liberalistic, inclusivist, relativist ranting and raving to the contrary notwithstanding - the only ones - just think, Leland, only eight theologically correct people out of the whole world - with enough of God's grace to warrant being delivered from the flood.

In the words of the Hebrew writer Noah,

"condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith."

If Noah (with his seven) was labeled an "heir of the righteousness which is by faith" for condemning the whole world, tell me why godfearing Baptist people are labeled a "cult" when they do the same? As Peter said,

"The like figure whereunto baptism doth also now save us; not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God."

And as John said,

"He that knoweth God heareth us" and "We are of God and the whole world lieth in wickedness."

I point this out for the comfort of God's people who may be downcast because they are in such a minority and who are ridiculed by the infidels for their fidelity to the truth.

Mark Osgatharp

[ August 04, 2003, 01:06 AM: Message edited by: Dr. Bob Griffin ]

11. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

Scott,

So what? The term "Jesus Christ" means no more in the mouth of a modernist than it does in the mouth of a Mormon or Jehovah's Witness.

The word "believe" means no more in a modernist's mouth than the term "I don't exactly remember" means in the mouth of a false witness.

Mark Osgatharp
    </font>[/QUOTE]Prove that Harao is a modernist.
    Prove that modernists do not agree that "believing" means to place their faith in Jesus Christ.
    Prove that Jesus Christ means something different to a modernist than someone who is not.
    Prove that Harao has not placed his faith in Jesus Christ.
    Prove that Harao's Christ is unable to save him.
    Prove that Harao somehow is damned to Hell because he does not believe as you do.

Do all this, and you and I can be a step closer. Fail to do it, and be considered a Pharisee.

I'm already leaning on the side of the Pharisee, but if you can do this, I'm willing to dismiss my initial belief about you.

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unfortunately, Mark often exhibits the same attitude of the ultra-conservative members of the Church of Christ denomination - they are the only group that are truly Christians and going to heaven.

13. Mark Osgatharp

Unfortunately, Mark often exhibits the same attitude of the ultra-conservative members of the Church of Christ denomination - they are the only group that are truly Christians and going to heaven. </font>[/QUOTE]KenH,

Yeah, kinda like Noah, huh?

Mark Osgatharp

14. ScottEmerson

Not at all. More like Koresh or Jones.

The difference is that Noah was right. You - well, not so much.

15. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am editing and deleting some posts on this thread to keep within the rules of the BB. Please do not assume that since I edit something that THAT person was at fault; it may have just been quoting previous posts (and all must be eliminated).

16. ScottEmerson

I guess the moral of this thread is that those who are in the minority may be completely right or completely wrong. We must test things by the Scripture. The Bible is quite plain on salvation - belief in Jesus Christ and the placement of Lord in their life. Any group who adds or subtracts to that, such as what Mark wrote in his aforementioned deleted post, must be incorrect, according to the teachings of the Word.

17. Mark Osgatharp

Scott,

I did not add anything to belief in Jesus Christ as a condition of salvation. I don't even include your addtion of His placement as "Lord in their life." I believe a man is saved by bare faith in Jesus Christ, period.

What I did said is that when a man totally redefines "Jesus Christ" to fit his own ungodly fancy - which is exactly what modernists do - and then says "I believe in Jesus Christ," it is not faith in Christ.

As a matter of fact, a modernist "profession of faith" is more a profession against Christ than it is for Christ, for they reject the essential elements of Christ's person and His message. I would commend II Corinthians chapter 11 for your meditation on this concept.

Mark Osgatharp

18. ScottEmerson

Romans 10:9 says that a person must confess that Christ is Lord. Even the demons believe, and they are not saved. One cannot have faith without placing Christ as Lord of their life.

Please fill us in on the differences in Jesus-es. Show us what Harao believes that makes Jesus not the right Jesus.