1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Was the Serpent in Genesis 3 a Literal Snake?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Scripture More Accurately, Sep 25, 2020.

?
  1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  3. Unsure

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Satan is the god of this world, but he's not the god of God. God is in control. His common grace is with the world and his Restrainer is in the world.

God is sovereign, even over the hell we live in. God has foreknowledge and everything must pass through his will to come to pass.

Satan is roaming, but not free to do anything, and he never will be. The existence of evil in no way diminishes the sovereignty of God.

2. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you think of men who go out at night and get drunk then fights and kill others over nothing other than the fact they are drunk. I call this Demon possession. Why do think they call alcohol spirits?
    MB

3. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This makes God the one who approves sin which is ludicrous. I don't believe your interpretations.
    MB

4. Calminian

Site Supporter

No, I don't consider that demon possession in and of itself. Just the sinful nature.

5. Calminian

Site Supporter

God knows about your sin before you know about it. He can prevent it if he chooses. He chooses to allow some sin to happen for a time. In his timing he'll end all sin. God is always in control.

6. Scripture More Accurately

Scripture More Accurately Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God knows about people who will sin against Him before they do:

Deuteronomy 31:16 And the LORD said unto Moses, Behold, thou shalt sleep with thy fathers; and this people will rise up, and go a whoring after the gods of the strangers of the land, whither they go to be among them, and will forsake me, and break my covenant which I have made with them.

Deuteronomy 31:20 For when I shall have brought them into the land which I sware unto their fathers, that floweth with milk and honey; and they shall have eaten and filled themselves, and waxen fat; then will they turn unto other gods, and serve them, and provoke me, and break my covenant. 21 And it shall come to pass, when many evils and troubles are befallen them, that this song shall testify against them as a witness; for it shall not be forgotten out of the mouths of their seed: for I know their imagination which they go about, even now, before I have brought them into the land which I sware.

Deuteronomy 31:29 For I know that after my death ye will utterly corrupt yourselves, and turn aside from the way which I have commanded you; and evil will befall you in the latter days; because ye will do evil in the sight of the LORD, to provoke him to anger through the work of your hands.

God prevented Abimelech from sinning:

Genesis 20:6 And God said unto him in a dream, Yea, I know that thou didst this in the integrity of thy heart; for I also withheld thee from sinning against me: therefore suffered I thee not to touch her.

7. Calminian

Site Supporter

If you're point is that God can, and does at times, sustain his people, of course that's true. If you're point is Abimelech and some others never sin, because God always prevents it, you're thoroughly confused. All men sin. God knows about it beforehand. He allows it for a time.

My point stands.

8. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    Abimelech was not one of God's people, yet God, for His own purposes, kept even him from sinning on that occasion. I did not say anything about anybody never sinning.

The purpose of my post was to provide some biblical basis for the points that you made but did not provide any Bible to support.

#108 Scripture More Accurately, Oct 4, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  9. Calminian

Site Supporter

Then your point is moot, a non sequitur.

10. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    I provided explicit Scripture that shows that at least on one occasion God even kept an unbeliever from sinning against Him. God wanted us to know that He did so. Whenever possible, a Christian's theology should be based as much as possible on direct statements of Scripture.

11. Calminian

Site Supporter

Yes you did. I agree God does intervene in this way. Unfortunately, it doesn't help your case, nor refute mine. So the point is moot.

12. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not know what you are talking about when you say that it doesn't help my case or refute yours. I was not trying in that comment to make any case of mine or refute yours, whatever that may be.

I saw something posted and provided explicit Scripture to validate those points.

13. Calminian

Site Supporter

Usually people do this in response to something. They don't just post random stuff for unknown reasons.

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    (haven't read all 120+ responses) but if the Donkey of Jesus could talk - why could not a snake also take - I vote - literal snake

15. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    I take it you mean the donkey of Balaam?