1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was the world created millions and millions of years ago, part 2?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Marcia, Mar 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Again what you showed is your lack of understanding of that word. The hem is the tassel. They are one and the same.

Note* For those of you who wish to once again show up on my blog and use vile words to describe your distaste about my views of science. Do not bother. I know who you are and where you come from. I can track everyone who visits my blog.

#61 Revmitchell, Mar 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2009
  2. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Not in the way you think it.

Here are some questions that bring about questioning Genesis 6

No recent lunar vulcanic activity.

Age of rocks using radiometric dating

The bacteria phlegelum a developement from a syringe type prosbuctus than an motor

Mars had it own flood?

just to name a few.

3. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Tassel in our context means something entirely different than Hem. The greek word is the same but culturally we can determine that it was Jesus' tassel that he was required by law to wear. Again they are not the same thing the same word is used to describe either but can be understood better in the cultural context of the day not our modern day. Oi Vey!

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You are wrong.

5. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Clark and Gill seem to agree with me. But I can get a commentary to say they were tassels
    Oblidge by the Law as I've said. Different conotation to corner of a garment like the the first quote.

#65 Thinkingstuff, Mar 19, 2009
  6. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

So now that we can question the Creation account, why not question any other part of the Scripture that we so choose? Fact is if we can deny creation, we open the door up for denial of the rest of God's Word. Which is the clear intent of many who deny a literal 6 deny creation, even the Hebrew grammatical structure of the passage does not allow for anything other than a 6 day creation.

As to your examples:
    Radioisotope dating has a tract record of not being accurate. The others I will confess I have never looked into.

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You would have to pull out selective words to come to that conclusion.

8. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

And creation is not a miracle? Isn't that exactly how God does things? Something to think about while you are..... "Thinkingstuff". :type:

#68 Palatka51, Mar 19, 2009
  9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is God so big He could not have created a day that is 24 hours?

Personally, I for one am not questioning anyone's faith that believe the "days" of Genesis 1 are "epochs" or metaphorical or even allegorical.

I just don't believe there is reason to reassign the "YOM"s of Genesis 1 to something other than a 24 hour day. God doesn't need a Timex to know when 24 hours has past.

I'm a software architect, I create software, thats my job. One of the first things that I do is create a Functional Specification which gives a narrative description of the functions which the software will perform.

The functional descriptions do not need to be in the order of execution of the final program. In fact I can often develop the functions separately and test them with what are called prototypes with supplied artificial parameters.

Then, finally, I put them all together in the order they are to be performed and run a Unit Test.

Why couldn't God do this, the one who created me and gave me the mind to also be creative?

Genesis 1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

Science has come up with dozens of theories concerning origins.
    They change with every generation and have changed even within my life time and are changing even as we speak.​

Look, God existed for eternity past, then He created time, space and matter. Is it no wonder that the universe has the look of eternity about it considering the One who made it?​

We look at the universe which appears to be billions of years old and then at the Bible which says it was created in six days then like Nicodemus
    we ask "How can these things be?"​

NKJV Ecclesiastes 3:11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also He has put eternity in their hearts, except that no one can find out the work that God does from beginning to end.​

HankD​

#69 HankD, Mar 19, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  10. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

He could have used anyamount of time He wished.

Nor do I, I have no problem with anyone who believes either side. I think both views have merit.

For me the question is not what God could or could not do, but what did He do.

Why was there no evening of the seveth day?

So you agree that the universe appears to be billions of years old? What do you see as the evidence of this appearance? Science?

But I thought we did know, a literal 6, 24 hour day, creation.​

11. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

12. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

It is simple faith, period!!!
    Genesis 1
    1. 3 And God said,
    2. 6 And God said,
    3. 9 And God said,
    4. 14 And God said,
    5. 20 And God said,
    6. 24 And God said,
    7. 26 And God said,

I do not think that there should be any issues with what God has spoken.

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

No one is talking about limiting God. We can't limit God. God tells us some specifics, however, about creation, and I think it's very reasonable to believe them.

If God took millions of years to create the world, he could have said that. No one here who rejects or questions the literal 6 days of creation has been able to answer why God just didn't say he created the world over a long period of time, or it was many years. There are plenty of Hebrew words and expressions for that, but God did not say that. He said 6 days in Gen. 1 and 2, and repeats it twice in Exodus.

I used the term Verbal Plenary Inspiration specifically because it differs from the Mechanical Dictation theory:

The Mechanical Dictation theory
    of inspiration says that God gave
    precise words to His Biblical authors
    to record in Scripture. It is also
    referred to as ‘Verbal Inspiration’.
    This theory paints a picture of God
    being like a manager dictating to his
    secretary. The ‘secretary’ is required
    to copy down exactly the very words
    used by the one dictating the
    message. Passages such as- “Every
    word of God is flawless; he is a shield
    to those who take refuge in him. Do
    not add to his words, or he will
    rebuke you and prove you a liar.
    (Proverbs 30:5-6) seem to support
    this theory. This view regards the
    Biblical authors as having no input into the text at all. This
    seems to run contrary to the Biblical text itself where the
    emotions, personalities and events of the Biblical authors are
    noted. ____end excerpt
    Source:
    http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache...tion+theory+on+bible&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

The dictation theory is closes to what I know as channeling in the New Age.

The plenary inspiration view is that God gave the revelation to the authors but still used their own personalities and individual styles. This would have no effect on the truth of anything being written, and certainly words such as "day" or "days" in Genesis would still be from God. It does not allow room for the author to bring in his own ideas or take on things.

"Inspired" in regard to the Bible is not like what we mean today when we say "I was inspired by the accident to write a poem." It is that the words are "God breathed."

#73 Marcia, Mar 19, 2009
  14. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

God said:

Rev 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:

So I guess were all preterists. Yet somehow I have a feeling that those who scream literalism the loudest would dispute my claim.

#74 Grasshopper, Mar 19, 2009
  15. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

My main issues with evolution are that there could not be death before sin, that man did not evolve from another species, and that the world was created in 6 days, not over millions of years or thousands of epochs .

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Nope. He could do anything He wants - except He told us there was "evening and morning, the first day". That says a lot. :)

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A day that is a billion years?

What will they think of next? A frog that is an alligator, a worm that is a snake, or a man that is a God. Wait Joseph Smith already did that last one.

18. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

Yep, but is that a literal morning with the sun appearing over the eastern horizon? Oops, the sun wasn't created till the 4th day.

We keep going around in circles.

19. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I know you were addressing Rev Mitchell, but I want to comment on the science vs. Bible issue.

I do not think there is any conflict between true science - that is, science as correct interpretation of our surroundings and of how they work -- and the Bible. God created the universe and therefore, all its laws such as the law of gravity, operate according to how God made things. True Science and the Bible are in agreement.

But science is also interpretation and conjecture and theory. It can be faulty because scientists are men and can make mistakes or be biased. Therefore, we have theories of evolution, for which there is no solid evidence.

When a scientific theory or conjecture conflicts with the Bible, as we have here, then I go with the Bible. In this case, the Bible is quite clear about the world being created in 6 days. There is no room there or any indication for another interpretation.

20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

No you go around in circles:

Gen 1:1 In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.
    Gen 1:2 The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.
    Gen 1:3 And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light.
    Gen 1:4 And God saw that the light was good. And God separated the light from the darkness.
    Gen 1:5 God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, the first day.

End of story

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.