1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was there a Jack Hyles "denomination" of fundamental Baptists?

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Logos1560, Apr 21, 2024.

1. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In his 1996 book THE SCIENCE OF THE CHRISTIAN LIFE Volume Two, Jack Hyles wrote: "I am not bragging on myself, but God has chosen this ministry to influence an entire generation of fundamentalists" (p. 175).

This quote is in his chapter entitled "The Science of Calling a Pastor" (pp. 169-179).

Some of his points include the following:

"Choose someone who comes to Pastors' School in Hammond, Indiana, every year" (p. 174)
    "Choose someone who sends students to Hyles-Anderson College" (p. 175).
    "Choose someone who knows and emulates the work of the First Baptist Church of Hammond, Indiana" (p. 175)
    "Choose someone who is in our camp all the way" (p. 176).

"Choose someone who is not a Bible expositor" (p. 174).

Would the Jack Hyles "camp" in effect be like a denomination?

2. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was in a fundamentalist church from 1979 to 1984. When our pastor moved away we ended up with a "Hylelite" pastor and from my standpoint, it was a different denomination after he came. Personally, I managed to get along with him, was a deacon, went "soul winning" with him (which was something) and was on good terms with him when we moved out of the area and left the church. I heard he caused a lot of problems after we left. I knew of one other missionary who was a graduate from Hyles Anderson college and he was a fine Christian and a gentlemen from anything I ever heard of him. I am aware of the problems Jack Hyles himself got involved in also.

I would not bother with his books to be honest with you. I threw the book I had from him away, which I rarely do, not out of anger but I just didn't think he had much to contribute. I think the book was "Grace and Truth" or something like that.

3. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not an expositor of the Bible? Wow

what do you preach then?

4. robt.k.fall

robt.k.fall Member

Mr. Hyles came from the sector that held all preaching should be evangelistic.

5. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps Jack Hyles at one time preached some expository sermons which became the basis for his early book Let's Study Revelation.

Jeri Massi described one sermon "Fresh Oil" by Jack Hyles as follows: "He has not referenced the text yet, and we are beyond 16 minutes into the sermon" (Schizophrenic Sermons: An Analysis by Jeri Massi, Second Edition, p. 37). Jeri Massi commented: "But here we are 20 minutes into this sermon, and he still has not preached the text" (p. 37). Jeri Massi commented: "At last (time 37:30) he gets back to his original texts about being anointed" (p. 41).

Jeri Massi claimed: "a few years ago I read up on the life of J. Frank Norris, and I can say with certainty that Jack Hyles lifted the story of Norris's childhood and pasted it onto his own. Vic Nischik, who wrote The Wizard of God, researched Hyles' background and also debunked Hyles' account of his father as being an unbelieving drunkard. According to Nischik, Hyles' father left his mother because of her refusal to grant him conjugal rights after Jack was born. But Hyles' father was a deacon and supported his wife and son" (p. 46).

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jack Hyles claimed: "I am not fighting expository preaching, but that kind of preaching will destroy a great church" (Science of the Christian Life, p. 174).

Jack Hyles claimed: "The great soul-winning churches have been pastored by topical preaching" (p. 174).

7. robt.k.fall

robt.k.fall Member

From my personal interaction with him during my days at MBBC, I concluded Mr. Hyles was a prima donna who saw himself as the heir to J. Frank Norris. He also conflated East Texas customs with Biblical morality.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I heard the fresh oil. It was terrible

if I remember he claims that he went to a cemetery and stayed there. His claim was he did not know if it was 3 seconds, the minutes, 3 hours or 3 days. I could not believe he would make a comment like that and expect people to believe it

9. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Didn't he get caught having an extramarital affair?

10. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. Stomping, whooping, screaming, and hollering is much more important than exposition.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. robt.k.fall

robt.k.fall Member

That too. :(