1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was There Alcohol in the Wine...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by richard n koustas, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richard n koustas

richard n koustas New Member

Was there alcohol in the wine that was used in the 'drink offering'?

What did the wine (in the drink offering) represent?

I noticed that in this forum, threads about the tabernacle, priesthood, Levitical offerings, and such die a really quick death. Threads about wine and alcohol seem to sustain life long after their useful life expectancy. So, I figure, in order to get some discussion going about the tabernacle or the Levitical offerings, I might get a better discussion going if I make it about wine....BTW, I really don't really give a hoot about the first question (that is just to get your attention), but I would like an answer to the second...

thanks.

2. Snitzelhoff

Snitzelhoff New Member

You've just reopened a can of worms. I give it to the second page until this thread no longer has anything to do with drink offerings...

I'm really not sure of the answer to your question, but I'm sure I can find some commentators somewhere who would have an idea.

Michael

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Here we go.

"Round up the usual suspects!" (Captain Louis Renault, "Casablanca") :rolleyes:

Ed

4. GLipscomb48

GLipscomb48 New Member

Where in the Bible does the priest drink of the drink offering? I know that it is poured out before the Lord, but did not know the priest drank some.

5. npetreley

npetreley New Member

So how 'bout them Yankees, huh?

(based on the standings it should be "how 'bout them red sox", but we yankees fans will never go for that)

#5 npetreley, Jun 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2007
  6. GLipscomb48

GLipscomb48 New Member

I'll take that as a 'I don't think the priest drank any of the drink offering.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes...all wine is alcoholic. **Personal insult removed**

#7 webdog, Jun 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2007
  8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I hate it when my avatar says "banned". I didn't pick it for my avatar, hmmmm wonder why it got there. :)

9. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I don't remember seeing that.

10. GLipscomb48

GLipscomb48 New Member

All wine today may be alcoholic, but not all wine prior during Paul's walk on this earth and prior was alcoholic in content.

Context in the Word of God shows which is and which isn't alcoholic.

And why bring up a banned poster? Are you rejoicing in one who stood for the truth (I have read many of his posts concerning wine and agree wholeheartedly.) being put out of the board?

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

On the contrary...NOT all wine today is alcoholic. This technology didn't develop until recently. There was no way to stop fermentation in biblical times, so yes, all wine in the Bible is alcoholic in nature.

**Personal insult removed**

#11 webdog, Jun 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2007
  12. GLipscomb48

GLipscomb48 New Member

Wrong again.

Even the top non alcoholic wine company in the US, Ariel, will tell you their non alcoholic wine does in fact contain some degree of alcohol.
    Historical accounts show that grape juice was indeed preserved just short of 100 years in a fortress in Masada. Columella recorded a wine that was preserved and the method of preserving in such a way that it did not ferment. Pliny, Aristotles, many others have recorded non fermented wines.

There were at least 4 ways to preserve the fresh juice of the grape to keep it from fermenting.

1. Putting the juice in an airtight container
    2. By boiling the juice
    3. By separating the gluten from the juice,
    either by filtering or by subsistence
    4. By fumigation (adding sulphur)

While the ancients did know how to preserve wines in their non alcoholic state, man through the deceitfulness of his own heart decided that just a little bit of alcohol won't hurt him. Man chose other ways to make wine in which they could have the alcoholic content.

13. GLipscomb48

GLipscomb48 New Member

As to HBSMN not telling the truth, I disagree. He gave scripture and history to prove his stance. He even asked for scripture from others to prove him wrong, yet none was given.

If it is legalistic to stand for God's word, then you may as well brand me as legalistic as well. God's Word is what I stand on.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

He was given COUNTLESS Scriptures. That's a false accusation.

15. CheeseCrackerKidd

CheeseCrackerKidd New Member

If only they would produce the Scripture to show beyond the shadow of a doubt that the wine was alcoholic all the time, then we would not be having this discussion.

But they cannot produce it, because it is not there

16. GLipscomb48

GLipscomb48 New Member

webdog,

I must have missed something. Can you give me a link to those posts to the scriptures he was given?

17. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS IS STARTING AGAIN.

:tonofbricks:

Let's just copy and paste the entire previous thread.

18. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Everyone was discussing the same Scriptures. The difference came with how each was interpreted. So...if you have a list of his passages (which is sounds like you have printed out and handy), then that is the passages that the opposing side was talking about as well. Much of the debate came on how to properly interpret each one.

Again....:tonofbricks:

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You are referring to the falacies stated by Josephus. That's pure urban legend. There has been no documented occurances of fruit and / or fruit juice not fermenting for 100 years. That's almost comical. There was no air tight containers able to preserve fruit juice for that period of time. There was no refrigeration...but this has been exhausted enough already. There is such a thing as fact, and there is fiction. You espouse fiction, my friend.

20. GLipscomb48

GLipscomb48 New Member

Rather than copy and paste the entire previous thread, post the scriptures that show that all wine in Bible days was alcoholic in content.

That will be sufficient enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.