1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Watch for the beast!

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by robycop3, Jan 31, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Audience relevance is irrelevant to dispies. It kills the buzz.

1. The Scriptures are to be taken in the sense attached to them in the age and by the people to whom they were addressed.

2. Scripture cannot contradict Scripture.

3. The Scriptures are to be interpreted under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, which guidance is to be humbly and earnestly sought. - Charles Hodge

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But the pret view makes Jesus a false prophet.

3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All the pret arguments are trumped by the fact that the prophesied eschatological events haven't yet happened. The Holy Spirit makes that very plain thru history.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hard to mis-interpret words that are so clearly spoken. Your "proof" is more like circular reasoning - it hasn't happened yet because you don't believe it's happened yet.

The "great city" of Rev 17:18 is the same "great city from Rev 11:8 - Jerusalem.

Rev 1:7 says "every eye will see Him, even those who pierced Him, and all the tribes of the earth (land) will mourn over Him". In context, the Jews would understand the destruction of Jerusalem and the Temple to be His return in judgment.

If there were only one possible interpretation for much of what we are debating, we would not disagree in the first place. The time indicators in the rest of Revelation, the Olivet Discourse, and other NT prophecies prove these events were to take place in the 1st Century. While I'm not positive as to what Rev 19:19 does mean, I am positive as to what it cannot mean.

Your "proofs" are nothing more than your opinions and interpretations.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Every generation from the Ascension until the return of Jesus is to carry out the Great Commission. This doesn't affect the prophecies of the Great Tribulation, Abomination of Desolation, etc.

6. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus did not say that all who heard His words would see those things happen, but that their generation would see those events fulfilled. Certainly some were dead before AD 70. That doesn't affect my interpretation. I am fully aware of other Greek words that some people try to apply to the Olivet Discourse. What truly gives a word its meaning is the context. In context, "race" or "kind" makes even less sense than trying to change Christ's words to mean "that generation" instead of "this generation". There is no place in the NT where "genea" is translated as "race". Imagine changing "genea" to mean "race" in Matthew 1:17. All the "races" from Abraham to David were 14 "races". Obviously that means "generation".

Yes, I do agree that much of Revelation simply provides more details to describing the same events. Jesus told His disciples that their generation would see those events take place. I do believe Revelation was written in the 60s, before the fall of Jerusalem. Ken Gentry's "Before Jerusalem Fell" provides very compelling arguments for this view. Well worth the 400 page read.

#46 Lodic, Feb 7, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sure @kyredneck won't mind my jumping in here. Earlier I posted why I believe the "futurist" view would make Jesus a false prophet. Why do you think the Preterist view would make Him a false prophet?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    For one thing, he has not returned.

9. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL there are absolutely no compelling arguments for the early date. None. Historical evidence also shows the later date. As far as all, I was not suggesting all had to see it, there was something you had said that made me write it that way but I can't remember what it was at the moment. My main point is that the events have not happened. They haven't. There is no amount of twisting you can do to say that they have. They have not. Christ has not returned to this earth. He hasn't. Anyone who says he has is either delusional or dishonest. That alone shows there must be a different understanding of what generation is being discussed.

10. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's OBVIOUS it hasn't happened yet. If it had, Jesus would physically be here now.

No, it's not. Remember, it's the great city that RULES OVER THE KINGS OF THE EARTH. And THAT, of course, was ROME.

And, of course, He HASN'T yet returned.And He WON'T, of course, til the beast is in power, as per Rev. 19.

There's only one possible CORRECT interp.

...Except that they DIDN'T!

You'd know EXACTLY what it meant if you didn't believe Gentry over JESUS.

...which are solidly backed by indisputable Scripture & history, while YOURS are backed by the blather of Gentry & some other snake oil salesmen.

Same as all other prets, you CANNOT answer the paramount question which renders preterism false.

IF THE PROPHECIES HAVE ALREADY BEEN FULFILLED, HOW COME JESUS ISN'T PHYSICALLY HERE, RULING THE WORLD ????????????????????????????????

11. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    His 1st Century audience saw the sign of His coming in judgment upon Jerusalem.

To the contrary, there is much more evidence for an early date than there is for a late date. Rather than digress into a debate about that, I'll follow your lead. The main point is that those events have happened. I don't have to twist Scripture to make my point. The actual, physical 2nd Coming of Christ is definitely in our future. As you say, anyone who says otherwise is mistaken or lying.

12. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. You just need to realize it's the Preterist interpretation instead of the Futurist Fantasy.

You Futurists cannot provide a Biblical to refute the fact that the "time indicator" texts all point to a 1st Century fulfillment of the Great Tribulation, AOD, etc. "Soon" means soon - unless Jesus said it. "Near" means near - unless Jesus said it. "This generation" means this generation - unless Jesus said it when discussing future events. You would be wise to stop trying to change what Jesus meant, and try to understand HOW these events were fulfilled.

13. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, he pret guesswork is completely incorrect, as has been shown on several threads here.

Jesus said EXACTLY what He meant-and the events will be fulfilled as He said they'd be.

14. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Precisely my point. This exactness included the prophecy that all those events would be fulfilled within the generation of His immediate audience. Either they were not fulfilled exactly as He said and He actually meant something else, or the events did come to pass.

15. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    But with all due respect, that was only part of what Jesus prophesied. The destruction that is, that was not him coming.

The Coming of the Son of Man
    29 “Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. 30 Then will appear in heaven the sign of the Son of Man, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. 31 And he will send out his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.
    The Holy Bible: English Standard Version (Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles, 2016), Mt 24:29–31.

When have these things happened? Please be specific.

16. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure we can and have. You have the bigger problem of the events not having taken place.

17. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I really appreciate the fact that truly do argue your points with respect, and not just with me.
    Having said that, I must disagree, Brother. In Matthew 24:34, Jesus told His disciples "this generation will not pass away until all these things take place.

When did the tribes of the earth (land) mourn? When did they "see" the Son of Man coming on clouds of heaven? When did He send out His angels with the trumpet call? The time for each of those events is the same, i.e. the destruction of Jerusalem and the Temple in AD 70. I believe Jesus was using symbolic language with the "clouds of heaven" and "sending out His angels". I believe that passage refers to the spread of the Gospel after the destruction of Jerusalem.

I don't see where the Partial Preterist view has a problem at all. These events were fulfilled within the generation of Christ's immediate audience. The "time indicator" texts support this view perfectly.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then we will have to agree to disagree. Our main points of disagreement:

1. The meaning of generation.
    2. The literalness of the event of Christ's coming.

• Like Like x 1
  19. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, JESUS wasn't wrong, of course. Your(or Gentry's) interp of His words is wrong.

For example, "this generation" in Matt. 24. You were asked to study the meanings of the Greek word 'genea'. Just ONE of its meanings is "all the people born at or near the same time, mentioned collectively". It can also mean "a people, tribe, etc." Have you considered THAT mighta been what Jesus meant, especially as the prophesied events didn't then occur, & Jesus included events that are still going on today?

And you admitted you didn't understand Rev. 19. It's VERY EASY to understand. Jesus comes from heaven in great power & glory, accompanied by His saints, & the beast & his allies send their armies to attack Him. But the beast & the false prophet are captured & cast alive into hell. Now, Jesus said He'd return IMMEDIATELY AFTER the great trib ended, so if the trib has already happened, He's 'WAY overdue! TRUTH is, the trib hasn't yet occurred, or Jesus would be here physically, ruling the world.

Also, Rev. 19 makes it plain that the beast will be in power when Jesus returns. Thus, it's undeniably OBVIOUS that the beast hasn't yet come.

And the notion that Rome was the beast & Israel the FP is MORE-THAN ABSURD! Neither of them was, nor will be, cast alive into hell! They'll be individual men.

So, Rev. 19 **PROVES** that the prophesied eschatological events haven't yet occurred. There's simply no way prets can get around the reality of history & the truth of Scripture.

20. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It was a return in judgment....not the second coming.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.