1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wayland Baptist Online MA

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Bearhouse, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Bearhouse

Bearhouse New Member

Wayland Baptist University now offers MA in Christian Ministry entirely online. Does anyone know if it's good? Does this get you into a doctoral program at a seminary or a college? Or is it considered a preparation for a Master of Divinity degree? Wayland is RA.

http://www.wbu.edu/b/b08/DPO/mcm.htm

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Never heard of the program. If they are RA then they should be alright, but that is not a guarantee that their MA program will give you the academic background you will need to enter a PhD program. So to answer your question you will need to examine what the seminary/university you desire to earn a PhD from requires to enter their PhD program. Many seminaries will require a certain number of hours in greek, hebrew, and at least one other modern language. They may also require a certain number of hours in theology (etc). What you need to find out is if this MA program meets the PhD admission standards at the seminary/university you are interested in. You also need to contact the seminary/university you desire to earn your PhD at and find out, in writing, whether they accept Wayland's MA degree as meeting their application requirements.

Here are two school's PhD admissions pages. One of the schools is a seminary the other is a secular university. This should give you a good idea of what is expected:

Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary PhD Admissions Page:
    http://www.sebts.edu/PhD/Admissions/

George Mason University PhD Admissions Page:
    http://historyarthistory.gmu.edu/history/doctorate/admissions/

#2 Martin, Mar 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2007
  3. Bearhouse

Bearhouse New Member

Thank you Martin.

I'm about half-way into my unaccredited distance-learning MA program in theology. Since I already paid the full tuition, I plan to finish it. I'm now thinking about what to do afterward. I know Lurther Rice will accept my unaccredited degree for their Master of Divinity program. I have also heard that a degree from my school is accepted for many Christian organizations and churches for religious purposes even though it is not accredited in the real sense of the term.

But I would really like to get into a PhD program in the future so I can get a teaching job somewhere before I get too old. Another possibility is to do an unaccredited PhD just for fun and keep my day job until I retire. ( I was decorating my room and I realized that I need something to hang on the wall.)

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Good idea, mainly if Luther Rice will accept some transfer credits from that school. Luther Rice is a good school and they do offer languages in their distance learning program which is something some other schools do not do. If you are going to go for a PhD the languages are going to be VERY important. Make sure you take as much as you can and make sure you earn very good scores in those courses.

==I say go for it! What I would advise you to do, however, is to plan things out as much as you can. Figure out what seminary (??) you wish to earn your PhD from and make sure that they will honor a MDiv from Luther Rice. Once you get a positive answer from them, in writing, then you will be ready to attend Luther Rice. There are many seminaries that will honor degrees from Luther Rice however there are some that will not. This is because Luther Rice is accredited through TRACS only and is not RA therefore some schools will not honor degrees/credits from Luther Rice. So you do need to take this step and do some homework (so to speak) and make sure that the Luther Rice program will get you into the PhD program you are interested in. It does not sound like you are interested in going after a secular PhD but if you are, again, you need to make sure that the university you are interested in will honor degrees from Luther Rice.