1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Well known Calvinist that have died for the faith

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jarthur001, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Allan

Allan Active Member

Χαιρετισμοί. Ναι καταλαβαίνω το σημείο σας στα αποσπάσματα. Και για αυτόν τον λόγο κάνω ένα νέο άρθρο με μόνο τα ακριβή αποσπάσματα από τους συντάκτες. Αυτός ο τρόπος καμία παράφραση. Εντούτοις ευχαριστίες για τη βοήθειά σας. Εκείνος ο τρόπος εσείς μπορεί να πει ότι truely είναι παραπλανητικός..

:) :)

Well at least when you got home for the night you didn't have to write me. You have a good evening, morning, or afternoon James.
    God bless.

#81 Allan, Sep 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2007
  2. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

It is my feeling that rippton had that person in Gill. Gill is most know for the largest writer of all times with his huge works. It is easy to see why. He out wrote Calvin and Matthew Henry. But this was not what he was best known for in his day. Gill was a language master. It was kinda like "his thing". Every thing he read it is said, he would retain and could recall with ease. It has been said that his personal library was greater than Spurgeon in numbers, but half of them was not English.

Where as your quotes came from a person that had used a translation of Greek to English that was translated by a 3rd party..( I still say was lightfoot..maybe maybe not :) ), Gill had masted the Greek and Latin and also was the foremost Hebrew scholar of his day. He has been called the Doctor John Lightfoot of the Baptists.

Gill is more Calvinistic then I am. I do not agree with all that he says. However, I must say he was maybe the best language master the church has ever been blessed with, and this includes Jerome and Augustine.

3. Allan

Allan Active Member

So only Gill can properly translate for us the works of those Calvinists and early church fathers wrote in Greek and Latin.

That is the same thing the JW's state about the Bible Translation they have. They are the only ones who can properly translate the Greek and Hebrew and that is why there are so many versions, but THEY have the true version.

That don't fly with me nor anyone else who with some knowledge of other languages. Gill might have been the foremost of his time (and I don't really doubt it) but to assume he is the best in church history even up through today is something that would have to be proved. But more specifically that he and only he could properly translate other Calvinists. That is far fetched. That is like me saying only the King James Translators were the only ones who could properly translate the scriptures and everyone else at their best is a poor rendition.

Anyway, I do agree Gill was better than me :)

#83 Allan, Sep 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2007
  4. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

From the classics?

6. Allan

Allan Active Member

7. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

:)

Hardly.

:)

Just a note to Allan

8. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

9. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

10. Allan

Allan Active Member

#90 Allan, Sep 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2007
  11. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Allan,

I wanted to say something on this statement here..

In a way you are right, and in yet another way I would disagree. Like I can word the doctrines so that both sides agree. I have done that on the BB before and even Sky and Web agreed. But it is the people that read into the words. This is seen each day on the BB. This is what is done in the passages of the Bible for most read them in a mindset.

Yes I agree that both systems can show support from the Bible. But I also know both system can not be right. You can not have unconditional election and conditional election. You can not have grace resistible and irresistible grace. Man cannot be born spiritual dead and alive at the same time. You cannot have God reign with irresistible power, and sovereign power.

No matter where you line up on these issues at some point the two will cross and you will need to go one way or the other. I once was a 3 pointer because all my teachers and preachers were 3 pointers. At the same time I had not study the remaining points on my own. I resisted those points mainly because of the labels given to them. I did not like the word "limited". When I study it, it was clear I did not have the right understanding of the doctrine. Which lead to asking myself, if those that schooled me had not done the same as I.

My point, after I studied it, I was faced with two paths. I could not take both paths. Christ died for each person ever born, or Christ died for those he saved. You cannot have it both ways. No matter what path you take you will reject the other. The sides do not mix.

This statement..
    I want to talk about this sometime. I know we have already in the past, But I have new thoughts on this.

12. Allan

Allan Active Member

And this is why I stated our differences are in line with the mechanics than the doctrine. As you observed above, we both hold to Election, Grace Depravity but how we see scripture depicting their operations is where we usually diverge.

As I have stated before, I see scripture declaring BOTH paths. So it isn't that I can't have it both ways but that I can't seperate them.

I would be lieing if I said I wasn't curious. We might not agree but I am curious :)