1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Were baptists touched by the reformation?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Emily, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Emily

Emily New Member

I learned from a Baptist-Bride pastor, that baptist churches were the churches started by Jesus and his apostles, and the Catholic church were the deviants..
    Therefore, baptists are not considered protestants, and they were never part of the reformation. They were there first..

well..

some very simple things lead me to believe that baptists were in fact touched by the reformation..

1. the celebration of Christmas seemed to be introduced by Catholics

2. One man in a pulpit.. From reading the bible, it seemed like all the men in the bible could speak during the service if they had something to share, or something to sing.

3. Church service on sundays

I am just interested if anyone could provide some good reliable links to baptist history or if anyone could provide the title of a good church history book.. I am totally interested in the early church and how all the splits happened, etc..

I count most of you guys as much smarter than I am concerning this.. I am not starting an argument.. Im just stating what I have noticed. I could be 100% wrong.

2. LaRae

LaRae Guest

I've heard baptist claim this before but never have I seen one able to prove this historically.

LaRae

3. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

Only Landmark Baptists and Baptist succesionists claim that. Baptists have their origins as part of the Left Wing of the Puritan movement and also have a spiritual kinship to the Radical Reformation of the Continental Anabaptist movement.

4. Harley4Him

Harley4Him New Member

Do a web search on something called the "Trail of Blood" history of the Baptist churches, then read some of the threads about it on this board. Keep in mind, however, that you won't find any objective historians who agree that the Trail of Blood theory is anything more than nonsense.

Another innovation introduced by the RCC was the decision about what books are in the New Testament. Yet another the nature of Christ, and how His divinity and humanity are combined. Yet another of their contributions was the idea that the Church is not subject to the state. This last runs counter to many so-called reformers who placed the church under the political powers of the day.

5. Mike G

Mike G New Member

6. MennoMan

MennoMan New Member

Hehe...Baptist Briders are fun...Anyway, back on topic: Baptists didn't appear in creed or name until around the 1600's. They were kind of a combination of Anabaptists and Calvinists(Calvinist Theology, but at that time they were non-resistant normally like the Anabaptists). Also, the Baptist view of Communion has pretty much been the same as the Anabaptist view.

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baptists have lots of various kinship with other groups through the ages. No two groups were identical, but close! Even today, not anywhere near ALL baptists believe the same thing on polity (church government and practice), procedures or doctrine.

Just look at the BaptistBoard for an example! The "baptist tree" has lots of different birds in it!