1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Were There Non-Catholic Churches Before Protestants?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by HopefulNChrist, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I remember a 'Landmark Baptist' handed me a tract based on that 'mess'. I ended up reading the book 'Trail of Blood' which has since been debunked. Most Baptist distance themselves from this nonsense. Here is what former Baptist pastor (now Catholic) Steve Ray says about it:

https://www.catholicconvert.com/wp-content/uploads/Documents/TrailOfBlood.pdf

2. HopefulNChrist

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    When a bishop goes astray, what is needed as authority to rebuke those in error in authority? The scripture.

The doctrine of the Nicolaitanes is about having an authority outside the local assembly when the Word of God is the only authority outside the local assembly. That means all those hierarchy over a string of churches... is not of Him.

The deeds of the Nicolaitans are sexual immorality.

The point here is that Christ is the head of every believer and thus the head of every assembly. Christ, the Word of God, is the final authority even over those that are our leaders in that assembly.

If any in error wish to say follow what I say in spite of what the final authority of the scripture says, then by their example, others can feel free not to follow him either.

Of course, those who desire to follow Him, will continue to lean on Him as their Good Shepherd to help them abide in His words in following Him..

3. HopefulNChrist

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    But what if they had gone astray from the onset? How can one prove that they did not? By pointing to scripture teaching infant baptism. When there is none, then that is proof infant baptism is not Biblical for any one to follow, let alone say it is doctrine as taught in the epistles to the early churches in the N.T. when it wasn't..

4. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If so, then the gates of hell prevailed against the Church and Jesus was wrong. Unless, as is being inferred, there is a tiny remnant of 'bible-only Baptists' hiding out from their persecutors in which case there should be some historical evidence to that fact. All the other heretical groups have a ton of historical evidence proving their existence and the debates regarding their beliefs, but not one iota of a Baptistic group. I find that very odd and, frankly, unbelievable. Btw, SDA's and even Mormons claim the same 'remnant' theories.

5. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I find this to be a hollow objection.

The many groups named in successionist literature are not always agreed on their doctrine, any more than all baptists today are agreed on their doctrine.

Today we have baptists which range from the radical, progressive, left, to the radical, reactionary, right.

And historically the groups named were much the same.

As to Anabaptists not believing in salvation by grace through faith alone, that may be true of many, or even most, Anabaptists, but it certainly does not pertain to all of them. Remember, the name "anabaptist" was a pejorative used of just about any dissenter that rejected Rome's baptism. Even Martin Luther was labeled an Anabaptist even though he argued against what he considered their heresies.

6. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If, and only if Jesus had told His followers that the NT was to be printed up in a book with nothing else. The fact is, Jesus said no such thing - He established a Church with people who have the authority to act IN HIS NAME. He who hears you hears me, He said.

Not everything is listed in the Scriptures friend, so if the appropriate authority from within the Church has determined that infant baptism is just fine, than it is so and as such is a decision that will be bound on this earth and in Heaven. There are hundreds of issues that crop up that need decisions that are not specifically listed in the Scriptures, like from the way the marriage ceremony should be conducted to the way we have our funerals.

#66 Adonia, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  7. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is very true. I doubt you would find much in common with the beliefs of the American Baptist church where I live.

You do make a good point and Luther was labeled an Anabaptist. Given what the term Anabaptist pertained to, I have had difficulty understanding that because he believed exactly as the Catholic Church does about baptism. I have no doubt that Luther's view of Sola-Fide and yours are quite different. Even now there is a joint declaration between Catholics and Lutherans regarding justification.

8. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Actually, St. Paul himself said that it was the church of the living God that was the pillar and bulwark of the truth, not the Bible alone (see 1 Timothy 3:15).

9. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As someone who comes late to this Catholic-Baptist fight (and via Atheism), I offer my very amateur observation that the Historical Record must be viewed as having a large thumb on the scale when it is in the physical possession of only one side for most of history and that particular side has a long history of killing those who disagree. Even if manuscripts on credobaptism were once common, who would have copied them in the padeobaptist church? Even if a manuscript existed in the Vatican Archives, would the RCC rush to present it to anyone?

What we do have are the writings of the Apostles, accurately recorded in vast numbers of copies spread throughout the world and in various languages. The Apostles clearly said what they said and no church father is needed to confirm that.

[For what little it might be worth, I am a credobaptists who recognizes the historic evidence that infant baptism was wide spread by AD 200 and may have been practiced as far back as the First Century (although how common it was before AD 200 is strictly a matter of conjecture due to the darth of evidence one way or another from the period).]

Scripture presents no clear examples of infant Baptism. It speaks of "households" which may or may not have included infants. In some cases it specifically states that everyone in the household "believed" and was "baptized" which strongly suggests no infants in that household. Baptizing everyone who believes is the definition of credobaptism, so whether it was taught in the early church or not, it was apparently practiced in the Book of Acts. The 1500's are not when we rejected the ideas of the church and substituted our own ... that is when people were finally able to read what the Apostles commanded for themselves and returned to obeying what they had commanded.

Show me the command to baptize unbelieving infants and I will obey Scripture.
    Show me where the Bible says that Baptism is the new circumcision and I will believe it.
    If God has not said it, then please do not fault me for refusing to believe it.

All I ever wanted from Christianity was the TRUTH.

10. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The New Testament books are in evidence.

11. loDebar

loDebar Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was not. That is English Baptist, Shared beliefs ,not NAMES go much farther back

12. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    i think it is to timeline parallel the established churches and those who were like Baptist.

13. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Catholic Church did not expunge the writings of heresies of Gnosticism (1st and 2nd Centuries), Sabellianism (Early 3rd Century), Arianism (4th Century), Pelagianism (5th Century), Semi-Pelagianism (5th Century), Nestorianism (5th Century), Monophysitism (5th Century), Iconoclasm (7th and 8th Centuries), Catharism (11th Century). However, according to you, the evil Catholics have the documents that prove there were 'Baptistic bible-only Christians' existing in the early church in it's archives because these are such threats to it's credibility that they cannot let them be seen. Do I have that right?

14. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    John MacArthur is all fluff, Zwingli said they did believe sola fide

I read that quote too . It does not fit other teachings, probably a characterization from Catholics

Martin Luther said Anabaptist did not believe Jesus is God and certain laborers were not worth saving

#74 loDebar, Oct 9, 2018
  15. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think so, they considered all who were not Catholic as heresy. We know by the enemies quotes about of these other groups and the extent of these beliefs

16. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Except they were not like Baptist! Lets look at the Waldenses Confession of Faith:

"In the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, and of the Blessed and Ever-Virgin Mary. Be it noted by all the faithful that I, Valdesius, and all my brethren, standing before the Holy Gospels, do declare that we believe with all our hearts, having been grasped by faith, that we profess openly that Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are three Persons, one God....

"We firmly believe and explicitly declare that the incarnation of the Divinity did not take place in the Father and the Holy Spirit, but solely in the Son, so that he who was the divine Son of God the Father was also true man from his Mother.

"We believe one Church, Catholic, Holy, Apostolic and Immaculate, apart from which no one can be saved, and in the sacraments therein administered through the invisible and incomprehensible power of the Holy Spirit, sacraments which may be rightly administered by a sinful priest....

"We firmly believe in the judgment to come and in the fact that each man will receive reward or punishment according to what he has done in this flesh. We do not doubt the fact that alms, sacrifice, and other charitable acts are able to be of assistance to those who die.

"And since, according to the Apostle James, faith without works is dead, we have renounced this world and have distributed to the poor all that we possess, according to the will of God, and we have decided that we ourselves should be poor in such a way as not to be careful for the morrow, and to accept from no one gold, silver, or anything else, with the exception of raiment and daily food. We have set before ourselves the objective of fulfilling the Gospel counsels as precepts.

"We believe that anyone in this age who keeps to a proper life, giving alms and doing other good works from his own possessions and observing the precepts from the Lord, can be saved.

"We make this declaration in order that if anyone should come to you affirming that he is one of us, you may know for certain that he is not one of us if he does not profess this same faith." [

Sound like any Baptist you know?

#76 Walter, Oct 9, 2018
  17. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My point is that the Catholic Church has not destroyed the evidence of these other heretical sects/teachings. Why just your Baptistic teachings? Heresies have been with us from the Church’s beginning. They even have been started by Church leaders, who were then corrected by councils and popes. Fortunately, we have Christ’s promise that heresies will never prevail against the Church, for he told Peter, "You are Peter, and on this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of hell will not prevail against it" (Matt. 16:18). The Church is truly, in Paul’s words, "the pillar and foundation of the truth" (1 Tim. 3:15).

18. HopefulNChrist

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I believe what Jesus has said is referring to Himself, rather than His church. The gates of hell will not prevail against Him and thus all believers in Jesus Christ will never go to hell as keeping His promise in John 6:39 of losing nothing of all the Father has given Him Evidence in scripture is Who is holding the keys to the gates of hell; Jesus Christ Himself.

Revelation 1:17 And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last: 18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

However, in Revelation there are 7 churches addressed whereby 5 of the 7 were acknowledged as His but rebuke and warned to repent or else as one church at Thyatira was warned of being cast away into the bed of the great tribulation and yet 2 of the 7 churches were exhorted to hold fast so as to not lose their reward as one church at Philadelphia was promised the escape from the hour of temptation that shall try all upon the earth; and thus raptured before the great tribulation would come.

The significance is that the one at Thyatira also addressed those who did not hold to those errant doctrines, that have not known the utter depths of Satan for which those in error did speak, but hold fast till He comes, so not every believer located at that city is of that same doctrine, and so the same should be regarded at Philadelphia for those ones that are not holding fast in that city.

God is coming to judge His House first at the pre great trib rapture event ( 1 Peter 4:17-19 ), but salvation is not at risk, but becoming disqualified and thus denied attendance to the Marriage Supper in Heaven by reason of excommunication as the church is supposed to do towards those not abiding in Him and are unrepentant in that fellowship is the risk for each believer.

Each believer will be judged by what he has on that foundation.. any unrepentant iniquity is considered as defiling His temple of the Holy Spirit which is our bodies and physical death is the result for the wages of sin. 1 Corinthians 3:10-17 for which is why many unrepentant saints left behind will die as they will be made to rest from their labors and their works will follow them to dust.

But their spirits are saved in that day as being absent from the body is present with the Lord as they shall await their resurrection after the great tribulation when the King of kings is on earth after doing away with the world's armies against Jerusalem and locking the devil in the pit for a thousand years.

There are vessels unto honor in His House.. and there are vessels unto dishonor in His House, but both are His Church.

So there is one Church that the gates of hell did not prevail against, thanks to Jesus Christ, even for the unrepentant saints and former believers that gets left behind when the Bridegroom comes, but while the door to the Marriage Supper is still open, may every one having His seal, even former believers, go before that throne of grace and ask help from Jesus Christ to see the lies that turned them away from Him to believe in Him and lean on Him to help them lay aside every weight & sin in running that race for the high prize of our calling to be received by Him as a vessel unto honor in His House at the Marriage Supper in Heaven.

19. HopefulNChrist

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Seems like you are giving grounds for the works of Catholicism, even though scripture rebukes the dead works within.

A marriage is a covenant that God performs, and a lot of believers have added vows of love which is unbiblical. Scripture reproves such vows because love is not boastful. Scripture also reprove adding to God's covenant of marriage. He joins the two as one flesh; not the couple's vows. Maybe if Christian couples did away with vain vows of love boasting of their love for tomorrow, they would remember the truth that God joined them together and let no man separate. As it is, vows of love can set the temptations to keep a record of wrongs and measure each other by how much they have been "putting up" with the other.

I believe Jesus when He said it is of evil in Matthew 5:33-37 because as Christians, we cannot follow Him by keeping an oath, but by faith in Jesus Christ in being our Good Shepherd in being the power in helping us to follow Him. So why boast of tomorrow, when we are to live by faith in the One Who enables us today.

James 4:13 Go to now, ye that say, To day or to morrow we will go into such a city, and continue there a year, and buy and sell, and get gain: 14 Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. 15 For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that. 16 But now ye rejoice in your boastings: all such rejoicing is evil. 17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

So some additions scripture does talk about and when infant baptism is not listed as an ordinance, we should be careful in saying it is.

20. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Were There Non-Catholic Churches Before Protestants?

I came right to the end of the now last page.

Therefore - Don't know if anyone mentioned the Waldensians aka the Vaudois aka The People of the Piedmont Valley.
    Surely someone must have.

Many many years ago when I lived in the Boston suburbs I began a research paper on the Waldenses.
    Though I was not a Harvard Graduate they allowed me to use their research libraries (unparalleled except maybe for dead German Institutes) to do my work.

Organized by Peter Waldo in the 10th century they pre-existed Waldo by centuries.
    The Roman Catholic Church committed their worst autocracies upon these people - even greater IMO than the Roman and Spanish Inquisitions.

Health issues kept me from completion but here is a good starting point for their history of centuries of martyrdom for those who are interested.:

Waldensian History

#80 HankD, Oct 9, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.