1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Western wall praying

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Judith, May 22, 2017.

1. theearstohear

theearstohear New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no New Testament warrant for a Christian to pray in this fashion. The Lord Jesus Christ warned of public prayers that were made for show of religion and recommended that we rather pray in private.

"And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly." (Matthew 6:5-6)

While the Lord's words do not strictly prohibit public prayer, but rather a hypocritical public display of religion in prayer, I believe it best to recognize that no particular location or attire is instrumental in augmenting or improving the prayers of the saints offered to the Lord in private. We are all inclined to shows of piety and religious experiences and we must guard our hearts with respect to such vain displays of religion. The Lord hated religious hypocrisy more than anything else (Matthew 23).

Or so it seems to me,
    TETH

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Thess 5:17 Pray without ceasing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have Jewish bloodline (proven by DNA, isn't that odd that DNA can show not just what ethnicity/region in Bohemia Grandma came from, but that it was Ashkenazi Jewish as well?) and am, of course, a believer. I've often prayed at the Western Wall with every group I lead to Israel. I also stand (slightly north/west of the Shrine on Temple Mount) where the Jewish temple was and lead our entire group in prayer - for the blindness of Jews and Muslim and 90% of those claiming to be Christian to be removed so they might understand the Gospel.

I bring my own yarmulke on such trips, as does my wife bring a special scarf for her covering.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • We don't need any special place to pray, the Lord hears our prayers wherever we pray, Praying at the WW is just superstition as is being baptised (again) in Jordan.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [Insult Edited] Again, I did not say what you said above.

#25 Judith, May 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  6. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God does not say anything about removing shoes but he does about men having something on their head when praying and preaching. it is not an issue of whether we think it is correct or not but if we truly believe God and are obedient.

7. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are correct with what you said, but that has nothing to do with the question.

8. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [Edited: Insult] Nowhere did I write that we are commanded to remove our shoes (though it is mentioned in Exodus 3:5, again in Acts 7:33, and in Joshua 5:15).

Ed. to add- To be clear, I did not insult Judith but quoted an insult that she launched at another poster.

#28 Rolfe, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
  9. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then tell us what you meant in post #3. Here are the first three posts, in order. Who were you speaking about in the section which I've highlighted in red? Explain how your words weren't equating a Christian's prayers to God to prayers to Allah.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL.....then wait till He gets a load of this Trump Panty Waste:Roflmao

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that it can be. But simply attributing it to superstition can also be a mistake.

I’ve never been to Jerusalem, but if I were there I could think of no better place to pray for the salvation of the Jews than the wall. And if I were there, I may also decide to be baptized in the Jordan (probably more meditation and contemplation as it would not have the significance of my baptism). I’m sure some would look down on me for that, but who cares? My walk with my Lord is neither their concern or responsibility.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Brother kyredneck, I took a look at it and many more connected to it... Just brought further truth to me what "THIS GENERATION"... Really means!... Brother Glen:Whistling;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jon, you are free do what edifies you. If that's being baptized in the Jordan, so be it.

For my part, I see no reason to make pilgrimages to supposed "holy places." It might be interesting from a historical standpoint, but I would more like to see the cathedrals of England, for example, than Israel. You're probably a more mature Christian than I am, but I'm pretty much a stickler against any superstitions, including those found in Baptist churches.

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are only two requirements for our prayer life.

Spirit and truth.

HankD

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm also opposed to such superstitions.

I have made several trips to Shiloh (the battlefield). As i walk where those soldiers fought and died I can get a better feel for the battle (perhaps a more personal feel) than I would sitting on my sofa reading about the battle. It is really a different experience to walk that location, and I don't mean in a superstitious way.

Likewise, to have that opportunity to walk where my Savior walked is something I think would be of value but not a superstition.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And that's the rub. Why does all of the doctrinal baggage of the catholic pilgrimage have to be attached to a baptist on vacation?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As long as you don't make the wearing of the kippah or vestments a legal requirement and as long as you don't believe that praying in a certain location or to icons makes your prayer any more efficacious, I think the usual rules of prayer still apply.

I don't believe it's sinful or wrong, in and of itself, just as long as you don't make it so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. RedMan1972

RedMan1972 New Member

This is an example of why Christianity today breaks my heart. People are more concerned with actions and insulting others actions to make themselves look better than they are spreading the Gospel and Love of Jesus.

19. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Completely disagree with your assertion.

• Like Like x 1
  20. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    My apologies for being so brusque. As I said, such a trip may indeed be edifying and I did not mean to accuse you of being superstitious. But I think many Evangelicals who make such trips can fall into that trap. I've visited Civil War battlefields and found them interesting. A problem with Holy Land trips can be that "where Jesus walked" may not have been where Jesus walked. The site of Christ's baptism is disputed. The Garden Tomb almost certainly is not the place where Jesus was buried; more likely it's in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, which is a superstitious side show (IMO). I would perhaps like to see the foundation of the Temple Mount for historical reasons, but nothing beyond that.

• Like Like x 1