1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What are our children missing?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Salty, May 23, 2022.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I found this on Facebook

FROM A TEACHER: Yesterday, I shut down class about 5 minutes early and told my students I wanted them to just sit and talk to one another. Several of them immediately opened their laptops and began navigating to their favorite computer game.

I said, "No, no laptops. I want you to have face-to-face conversations right now."

After a collective groan went up, I observed something both wonderful and alarming. For the next few minutes, a couple of tables came alive with conversation. They looked at each other in the eyes and talked with great enthusiasm and interest. It was beautiful to watch and listen to.

However, many students were deflated. They did not know what to do without some sort of entertainment from a device. A couple of them put their heads down and avoided eye contact with anyone. I went around the room to those students and tried to engage with them. Some of them mustered a few words, but most didn't know what to do.

I share this story as a wake-up call for parents, grandparents, and guardians. It's tragic to me that a large percentage of today's youth do not know how to have real conversation, but it's not their fault. It is our responsibility as adults to lead by example and hold our kids accountable. Unplug every day, talk, and listen to your children. Getting lost in a device does not help them cope with and overcome the things they're going through mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. All it causes is isolation and depression.

They need relationships; they need you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, the institutions of indoctrination yell out kids to hush, be quiet, shut up, be quiet .... and then complain because they don't talk.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Just like most churches

• Like Like x 1
  4. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It just occurred to me I am reading this and responding on a device that doesn’t require face to face communication.

Kids learn by example.

peace to you

• Like Like x 1
  5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think this thread makes an important point. Christianity is a team sport, we both serve others and others serve us. We work together for the common good. We care for one another. We pray for one another.

Back during the Korean War, American POW's were "brain washed" by driving distrust into the group. Someone was called into an interrogation room, asked no questions, then given something, a comb or piece of bread. The others thought this guy must have snitched and so distrusted him. Now many are putting themselves in their own "isolation cells" and not working together. The Commies need to divide so they can conquer.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's primarily from tech that kids in my generation and younger have 0 social skills.

For men, there's a secondary cause in that the school system is designed in a way that benefits females over males and rewards female behavior over male. That will skew male interactions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sometime there are kids under 4 in our church and yes they make a little noise, wonderful children noise.

8. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agree no argument here

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most will do that very thing to adults as well.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My mom used to say that was music to her ears