1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What Are Your Thoughts About The Thief On The Cross?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by tyndale1946, Dec 13, 2021.

1. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are no redeeming qualities to either man crucified on either side of Jesus Christ... Yet the one saved was not a Christian, didn't belong to any church, was not baptized, did not confess that the one that was between them was the Son Of God... He had so much to gain from what he said but he didn't know that... He didn't change himself, so what changed him?... Speaking of him, why didn't the other one change?... If this illustration doesn't scream election, what does it say?... I've heard since I joined that Jesus died for all men, well I know one thing he died for the one man because he told him he was going to be with him... Why didn't he say anything to the other?... I like the way A. W Pink says it from Seven sayings of the Savior on the cross... Page 34 pdf

But with the saved thief it was far otherwise. He had no moral life before his conversion and no life of active service after it. Before his conversion he respected neither the law of God nor the law of man. After his conversion he died without having opportunity to engage in the service of Christ. I would emphasize this, because these are the two things which are regarded by so many as contributing factors to our salvation. It is supposed that we must first fit ourselves by developing a noble character before God will receive us as his sons; and that after he has received us, tentatively, we are merely placed on probation, and that unless we now bring forth a certain quality and quantity of good works we shall "fall from grace and be lost". But the dying thief had no good works either before or after conversion. Hence we are shut up to the conclusion that if saved at all he was certainly saved by sovereign grace. The salvation of the dying thief also disposes of another prop which the legality of the carnal mind interposes to rob God of the glory due unto his grace. Instead of attributing the salvation of lost sinners to the matchless grace of God, many professing Christians seek to account for them by human influences, instrumentalities and circumstances. Either the preacher or providential and propitious circumstances or the prayers of believers, are looked to as the main cause. Let us not be misunderstood here. It is true that often God is pleased to use means in the conversion of sinners; that frequently he condescends to bless our prayers and efforts to point sinners to Christ; that many times he causes his providences to awaken and arouse the ungodly to a realization of their state. But God is not shut up to these things. He is not limited to human instrumentalities. His grace is all powerful, and when he pleases, that grace is able to save in spite of the lack of human instrumentalities, and in the face of unfavorable circumstances. So it was in the case of the saved thief.

To those who might be interested in this study, here is the link... Brother Glen:)

https://storageblock.s3.amazonaws.c...a7401460b73da4ac275c47bba145146fbcc7203b15f4c

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Two Wings

Two Wings Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm. If Luke 23:42 isn't a confession, what is it?

the other thief didn't change because he rejected Jesus' claim ... and even the testimony of the saved thief.

I don't see election/pre-destination here ... as in he didn't' have the ability/opportunity to make the choice to surrender to Jesus. He didn't because he rejected Jesus. Big difference in God's knowing the choice to be made by each person and revoking the free-will to make the choice to accept/reject.

except that the one who was saved believed and confessed. That made him like Jesus in God's eyes.

ya know ... come to think of it ... in the anals of uniqueness ... the criminal on the cross is one of the most unique people in human history, to have been justly tried for his crimes, but then to have recognized his need for a savior in his last bit of time to live.

We don't deify him as some do with other characters of that day; Mary, Peter, John ... et al. Sorry for the digression, but the uniqueness of this guy's circumstance and decision was worth highlighting.

great post.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry brethren the link doesn't seem to be working at this time, when I find another one that does I will post it... Brother Glen:)

4. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No that's not it but thanks... This looks like the readers digest version... Here is the link and if this doesn't work then I will look like the south end of a north bound horse... And would the moderator please delete the one that doesn't work... Brother Glen:)

https://settingcaptivesfree.com/for...of-the-saviour-on-the-cross-arthur-w.pink.pdf

Btw... The piece I post is on page 24!

#5 tyndale1946, Dec 13, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  6. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An errant child of God who committed sin unto death. His children are capable of doing everything they’re told not to do in The Book.

7. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The saved thief is how the Gospel affects the born-again. That's why we preach the gospel instead of offering it. Those who believe are saved. This day you will be with me in paradise = believers have eternal life.

8. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The thief on the cross
    1. Confessed that He was a sinner, and was justly under condemnation.
    2. Called the Saviour 'Lord' [as per the Majority Text. If he called Him 'Jesus' without any further qualification (like e.g. 'Son of David' - Mark 10:47-48), he is the only person in the N.T. to do so]
    3. Confessed the Lord Jesus to be sinless and a king with power to save him.

People may argue, if they will, that the thief worked all this out for himself, but it is plain to me that God opened his heart to understand it all and to believe it (c.f. Matthew 16:17).

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also, I reject the premise that [tyndale1946 sez:] "There are no redeeming qualities to either man crucified on either side of Jesus Christ."
    There is absolutely no way to come to this conclusion, since as AFAIK (subject to correction), there is no other info re: these 2 in Scripture!
    The one saved, could just have been a wayward son of very devout parents, & the other the son of a couple of yokels; the one saved being starkly reminded of his upbringing and responding accordingly!!
    I see nothing that supports God's CHOOSING who will/will not ACCEPT salvation. All I see here is two persons having the same experience & opportunity, but responding very differently.

10. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you're a cut above the rest? And chose Christ to your glory? God saves those who cannot believe or save themselves.

11. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I come to one conclusion according to scripture now brethren on here can speculate all they want... Scripture says he was a criminal justly condemned, just like you and I... Jesus didn't save anyone when they were mister goody two shoes quite the opposite... Brother Glen:)

Romans 5:6 For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.

5:7 For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die.

5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

5:9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

5:10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ????????

Sorry, but I see no correlation between my post & your reply, as I don’t disagree with any of the above.:Thumbsdown

13. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Who made you Judge? He might have been more Christian than those who call themselves Christian.

You find a GOOD hearted person he can find a redeeming quality from even the worst of the worst.

Did Jesus turn and say you will be with me in paradise to the thief mocking him?

Wouldn't that have been a stronger case?

The gospel of "If God likes you then you are saved and if he hates you then you are damned" does not take 40,000 verses to explain.

14. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are no redeeming qualities to anybody who has ever been alive save Christ. Nobody is good hearted for the heart is a wicked and deceitful creature and man is totally depraved.

• Like Like x 1
  15. utilyan

Site Supporter

If that were true then there is nothing to "SAVE". Like having "murder" find salvation.

16. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This picture is one of my favorites... Its called Forgiven II... You were saying?... Brother Glen:)

[​IMG]

17. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Was reminded of this. No point intended, it just reminded me of it.

• Winner Winner x 2
  18. utilyan

Site Supporter

Looks like the image of God is redeemable.

19. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for that Dave and it fits perfectly, the man in the middle said I could come... If he didn't want us in his Heaven, he wouldn't have told us to come... Brother Glen:)

20. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This episode is far too rich, too profound to fathom, to care about some C-A debate. Instead, I wonder.

I don’t know what faith that dying rebel had, or what hope, but he said the right things at the right time. Saying Jesus did nothing wrong is saying Jesus is the Messiah. I wonder how much he had heard before, seen before, but never believed till face-to-face. Talk about your captive audience.

I don’t know what such a “deserving” man would expect to hear after asking to be remembered so late, but I wonder about the look on Jesus’ face when he answered, and the look on the thief’s when he heard. Did he get a glimpse of Jesus’ anticipation of the joy set before him as he endured the cross?

I don’t know what that saved man thought as he watched his Messiah suffer, witnessed his agony, heard his death cry, but I wonder if he didn’t thank God for the Sabbath rest that meant he would be finally broken, hastening their reunion. As he too died, did he try to mouth those yet unuttered words of Stephen, “‘Lord Jesus, receive my spirit’”?

I wonder.

• Like Like x 1