1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What day of the week was the crucifiction?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by deacon jd, Oct 9, 2006.

1. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Scott, where in the bible "we use", can I find "For Christians as well [paraskeue] served to designate the sixth day of the week . . . and so in Mod. Gk. For Christians it is a fast day, as the day of Jesus' death"?

Does the Christian "make ready", or "prepare" on Friday for the Saturday Sabbath the Jew made covenant with God to keep? I need some help here for I can't find where He asks we in His Body Church to do such a thing?

2. ituttut

ituttut New Member

It is in Moses' Law, according to Leviticus 23, and it is an "high day Sabbath", and like the 7th day Sabbath, they were to do no work, and they are to assemble together in holiness.

3. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Scott, where in the bible "we use", can I find "For Christians as well [paraskeue] served to designate the sixth day of the week . . . and so in Mod. Gk. For Christians it is a fast day, as the day of Jesus' death"?

If you're going to argue with me, at least have the decency to argue honestly, rather than making up garbage and putting it in my mouth, OK?

I didn't say those words were to be found in the Bible, did I? They are in BDAG, the standard lexicon of koine Greek. To understand the Bible properly, you have to know what the words mean (and not assign your own meaning to them just based on your own faulty presuppositions). Notwithstanding the drivel of Gail Riplinger, it doesn't contain its own dictionary.

It is in Moses' Law, according to Leviticus 23, and it is an "high day Sabbath",

The phrase "high day Sabbath" appears nowhere in Leviticus 23.

Indeed, I find it interesting that if you google the phrase "high day Sabbath," so far as I can tell, the only instances of this phrase occurring are on pages purporting to prove that Jesus wasn't crucified on a Friday! It appears to be a made-up day for a made-up doctrine. Talk about circular reasoning.

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

You might re-read Leviticus 23, with a fairly open- mind, I hope. The Feast of the Trumpets, the first day of the seventh month is designated a Sabbath. (Lev. 23:24 - NKJV) So you are now aware, assuming you read this, and the scripture of at least one more day called "the Sabbath" in the Law. :rolleyes:

Further, I do not question that the Day of Atonement, the tenth day of seventh month, (Lev. 23:26) was a Sabbath, since I'm sure you would have not made the statement otherwise, without checking, or at least I hope that is the case. Yes, it is, FTR. However the day before the tenth, i.e. the ninth day of the seventh month "from evening to evening" (NKJV) was also 'a sabbath'. [(Lev. 23:32) -which speaks of both days, here in one verse].

And the Feast of Tabernacles (Booths), which I believe is also sometimes referred to as the 'Feast of Harvests', but don't quote me on that one, is said in Lev. 23:39 to be the fifteenth day of the seventh month, and the "first day" of this feast is "a Sabbath", and the eighth day, or actually the day after this feast is also "a Sabbath". (Lev. 23:39 - NKJV) Interestingly enough, the Worldwide Church of God, of Herbert W. Armstrong infamy, has for many years celebrated the Feast of Tabernacles, and one of its gatherings has been in Lexington, KY, and even after its movement "more toward orthodoxy", whatever that may mean, since his death, still celebrates this feast there. I have hauled some of the members/'assemblers' in my cab, two or three times over the years at their gathering. Are there more references. Perhaps, but I have not done an exhaustive search for this. However, this should serve to show that there are more than what you first listed. :)

To my knowledge, you are correct that 'High day Sabbath' is not found in Scripture outside of John 19:31. However, that phrase, alone, should bring some notice to something. And that is that it would seem to be special, in some way. Feast Day of Unleavened Bread, maybe? :D

Ed

#84 EdSutton, Oct 24, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2006
  5. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ransom,

re: "There is nothing in Luke 24:21 that needs to be reconciled."

You wrote that "Mark was using the normal words for Friday when talking about the day Jesus was crucified." Luke 24:21 says otherwise. Seems to me that some reconciling is needed here.

re: "‘It could mean something different, therefore it does’ is not an argument."

I did not say that it "does". I was only implying that it "could".

re: " In other words, he says there was something special about the Sabbath that fell on the next day, not that the next day was an additional, mid-week Sabbath."

And again, the meaning you are placing on John 19:13 needs to be reconciled with Luke 24:21.

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I'm all for listening to all the linguistic evidence, especially since you also wrote

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Although I don't know how I managed to send the first part of this post just as I was beginning to compose it, we'll continue from there. As I said, I'm all for listening to all the linguistic evidence, especially since you also wrote:
    Agreed that "prosabbaton" would be a usual word for Friday (although I'm not sure that this 'normal' use would necessarily preclude any others, in and of itself), as it's very meaning can be nothing other than 'pre-sabbath' or 'before sabbath'; just not so sure one can be hardly that 'dogmatic' on "paraskeue" in the first place. But I could still probably buy this.

However, Language Cop is not as easily convinced as I am and says "Not so fast!" He says he's heard of the 'Tower of Babel', but not Babelfish. And he also says that while "paraskeue" may even refer to Friday, it will not "translate" that way without giving an entirely unwarranted new meaning to "translate"! In fact, he says the word is a composite word from "para" and "skeue", and therefore putting these two words together, the composite word we get is literally "alongside the furnishings" or the idiom, "preparation" or as we might say, "getting everything ready", and that again, while it may "refer" to Friday, does not "translate" into Friday, by any stretch. Thanks for the input L.C.! I believe I see what you are saying, now. And I'll take it from here. (Even though it's rare, every once in a while, L.C. actually does something worthwhile, as opposed to merely being annoying.)

In fact, your own citing shows a bit of this arguing in circles, you mention in the next paragraph that I quote, I would say. Your citing of Bauer opens with "in our lit. only of a definite day, as the day of preparation for a festival; acc. to Israel's usage..." and proceed to wind up by a somewhat circuitous route of argument and logic, via "self-explanatory" to "undebatable" to a "conclusion" of Friday. Uh- what's that I read about bringing one's own assumptions to the table, again? Let's look just a bit deeper. We know at least some of what Bauer says. I wonder if he had any theological assumptrions? Let's assume he had none that really affected his viewpoint. Is this viewpoint shared by all?

Apparently it is not, for rstrats has already given on cite from one who should have some bit of understanding of this, as he says
    I wonder if James Strong agrees?
    Uh- gotta' run for now. Will pick this up shortly, at the point, I stopped.

Ed

8. Smoky

Smoky Member

I don’t think anyone is “willingly trying to change His Word”. The verse “at the end of the Sabbath” can just as readily be translated “after the Sabbath” as it is in ESV and NASB : Matthew 28:1 :

Now after the Sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to look at the grave.
    It was “after the Sabbath”, It was “still dark” John 21:1, and it was “dawning” toward the first day of the week. One meaning of “dawn” is “beginning to grow light” : epiphosko,a form of Greek 2017 (epiphauo); to begin to grow light :- begin to dawn, × draw on. (Strongs)
    So to reconcile the fact that it was “still dark” and it was “dawning” toward the first day of the week, it seems to me like this should be the meaning of “dawn” in this context. I don’t think scripture says Jesus would have to be in the tomb a full 72 hours as long as He was there on three days and three nights. You have to use a little common since about things like this.

From all you’ve said so far, I would not assume you believe the Word contradicts, and I would not think you are taking issue with John by failing to explain how it could be “still dark” if it was Saturday evening and dark was just approaching.

9. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

rstrats says:

You wrote that "Mark was using the normal words for Friday when talking about the day Jesus was crucified." Luke 24:21 says otherwise.

Luke comments on Mark's word choice?

And again, the meaning you are placing on John 19:13 needs to be reconciled with Luke 24:21.

Luke 24:21 says that the disciples were walking on the road to Emmaus "that very day" (24:13). Jesus was crucified and buried and arose on the third day. "That very day," the disciples say it was "the third day" since he was crucified. No reconciliation is needed.

10. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

EdSutton said:

You might re-read Leviticus 23, with a fairly open- mind, I hope. The Feast of the Trumpets, the first day of the seventh month is designated a Sabbath.

Even if I concede that I missed a few "extra" Sabbath days, all the holidays you mentioned - the Feast of Trumpets, the Day of Atonement, and the Feast of Booths - all occur in the fall, nowhere near Passover which is in the spring. Thus they prove nothing with respect to the day of the week on which Christ was crucified.

To my knowledge, you are correct that 'High day Sabbath' is not found in Scripture outside of John 19:31. However, that phrase, alone, should bring some notice to something. And that is that it would seem to be special, in some way. Feast Day of Unleavened Bread, maybe?

Nothing designates any day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread as a special Sabbath except, supposedly, the regular Sabbath that falls during the week.

#90 Ransom, Oct 25, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2006
  11. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

EdSutton said:

Agreed that "prosabbaton" would be a usual word for Friday (although I'm not sure that this 'normal' use would necessarily preclude any others, in and of itself), as it's very meaning can be nothing other than 'pre-sabbath' or 'before sabbath'; just not so sure one can be hardly that 'dogmatic' on "paraskeue" in the first place.

And thus you demonstrate the pitfall of defining words merely by their literal etymology. By the same logic, "Friday" literally means only "Freya's day," and we can't actually say with any certainty that "Friday" falls on a particular day of the week. :rolleyes: Uh huh.

=However, Language Cop is not as easily convinced as I am and says "Not so fast!" He says he's heard of the 'Tower of Babel', but not Babelfish. And he also says that while "paraskeue" may even refer to Friday, it will not "translate" that way without giving an entirely unwarranted new meaning to "translate"!

Babelfish is a well-known online translation tool. Go to that link, type "Friday" in the text box, select "English to Greek" translation from the pull-down menu, then click the Translate button. Voila, up comes the Greek translation of Friday: Paraskeue.

Having accomplished that, please stop playing dense.

["Language Cop" gibberish deleted]

In fact, your own citing shows a bit of this arguing in circles, you mention in the next paragraph that I quote, I would say.

You could say I was arguing in circles. And you could say that the Blue Fairy is feeding me answers as I type. Those could-says have something in common. Can you guess what that is?

12. Rex77

Rex77 Member

Quote from "The Appointed Times" may shed a bit of light on "High Day"

Our LORD Jesus celebrated the Passover with His disciples on Wednesday, the 14th of Nisan, after sundown according to the pattern in Genesis, as observed by the conservative Pharisees of Jesus' day. That night after the Passover meal (now remembered by Christians as the Last Supper), Jesus was taken and interrogated. On Thursday morning-- still the 14th of Nisan-- Jesus was crucified at 9AM ("the third hour", Mark 15:25). He died at 3PM ("the ninth hour", Matthew 27:46, 50)-- still the 14th of Nisan. Remember, the Pharisees' day began in the evening at sundown (6PM) and continued 24 hours until it ended the next evening (6PM), according to the Genesis pattern, i.e. "And God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day" (Genesis 1:5).

Because the Sanhedrin was controlled by the Sadducees, i.e. Caiaphas was the high priest (Matthew 26:57), the Passover was celebrated by the Sadducees in accord to the Greek reckoning of time. This was that a day began and ended at midnight-- like our present day-- instead of at sundown. This enabled Jesus to eat the Passover like the Pharisees on Wednesday evening and still die at the exact time the Sadducees were to kill their Passover lamb on Thursday at 3PM-- Exodus 12:6, literally, "between the evening". The Sadducees would eat their Passover meal on Thursday evening of the day Jesus was crucified. They considered that evening as part of the Passover, since their day did not end until
    midnight.

The New Testament fulfillment of Passover is the death of the LORD Jesus Christ on the cross of
    Calvary. He provided Himself as the sacrificial Passover lamb on the 14th day of the first month (Nisan).

2- Feast of Unleavened Bread: The Burial of Our LORD Jesus Christ

he Feast of Unleavened Bread (Hag HaMatzah to the modern Jew) is the second of the seven feasts that the LORD commanded Israel to celebrate. "And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread unto the LORD: seven days ye must eat unleavened bread. In the first day ye shall have an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein. But ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD seven days: in the seventh day is an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein" (Leviticus 23:6-8). It was to be celebrated for seven days, beginning on the evening of the 15th of Nisan through the 21st of Nisan.

In the time of the earthly ministry of the LORD Jesus, the celebration of both the Passover and the Feast of Unleavened Bread was identified collectively as
    "the Passover"-- "Now the feast of unleavened bread drew nigh, which is called the Passover" (Luke 22:1). Modern Judaism still observes these eight days collectively as Passover (Pesach)-- Nisan 14 through 21.

Seven high days are designated in Leviticus 23 (verses 7, 8, 21, 25, 28, 30-32, 35-36). These high days are Sabbaths. They were to be treated like the seventh day Sabbath, even though they could occur on a day other than the seventh day (Saturday) of the week-- which was the normal Jewish Sabbath. The first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, Nisan 15, was the first of the seven high days. The seventh day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, Nisan 21, was the second of the seven high days of Leviticus 23. This could cause confusion in understanding the events of the week of the LORD Jesus' crucifixion, since both the day before the weekly Sabbath as well as the day before the Feast of Unleavened Bread were designated as Preparation days.

Tradition holds that the LORD Jesus was crucified on Friday (instead of Thursday) because of a reference to
    "the preparation" and "the sabbath day" in the same verse. "The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away" (John 19:31). In this instance, "the preparation" was for the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread which was an "high day" and consequently a "sabbath day".

#92 Rex77, Oct 25, 2006
  13. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ransom,

re: "...the disciples say it was ‘the third day’ since he was crucified. No reconciliation is needed."

Luke 24:21 says that the first day of the week was the 3rd day "SINCE these things happened". That would make Saturday the 2nd day SINCE these things happened, and Friday the 1st day SINCE these things happened, thus making Thursday the day that the last of these things happened. Assuming that the crucifixion was included in "these things", then it couldn’t have occurred any later than Thursday.

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Rex77, unlike the previous post, the one you cite here, basically gets all of it right. :thumbsup: Much of this I've already posted in almost identical ideas, not to be a 'tooter', but merely for information. Although I still do not know who either of the individuals are.

Ed

#94 EdSutton, Oct 25, 2006
  15. ituttut

ituttut New Member

I'm away from these postings for a few days, and this is the welcome I get. You'd think I just walked into the local bar.

Testy, Testy my friend. Me argue? I offer understanding of His Word, and here comes an uncivilized tongue in my direction.

I can be Testy too, but we are to be of Love, and of his Word, as I endeavor to educate you in the Word of God. You have a "foul" mouth as you look down upon we mere mortals from your spot on Mars' Hill.

Would you say an apology is in order, or do you continue to deny the words above came from your mentality?

I too occasionally forget what I have written. But before I flew off the handle, I would most likely check before responding in anger. You say "Mark uses two words", and now you say he didn't.

Your pharisaic approach to His Word does not impress me. I called your hand, and you could not adequately cover.

The phrase "rapture" appears nowhere in all of scripture, so should we discard it?

But there is the Sabbath that is a "high Day Sabbath as John 19:31 tells us, and it always follows the preparation day. The Passover always falls on Nisan 14, and that is just like your birthday. Do you always observe your birthday on a Monday, if that was the day you were born; or on the month and the date you were born? Leviticus 23 tells us such things as this.

You'll not find understanding of His Word, with information outside the Bible, excepting those that know what the Bible will allow. Garbage is not allowed.
    This information "purporting to prove that Jesus wasn't crucified on a Friday" is allowed as Jesus could not have been crucified on a Friday.

In His Word, we are to "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth", II Timothy 2:15.

There are more ways than one to skin a cat, and more ways than one to turn a phrase. Is it not you that is "chasing your tail".

16. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Just the BB's way of collectively saying, "Welcome back! :wavey: :tonofbricks:

And we love you and missed you!" :BangHead: :laugh:

Ed

17. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

rstrat said:

Luke 24:21 says that the first day of the week was the 3rd day "SINCE these things happened". That would make Saturday the 2nd day SINCE these things happened, and Friday the 1st day SINCE these things happened

Yep. Friday = the day of = Day 1.
    Saturday = the day after = Day 2.
    Sunday = the next day after that = Day 3.

You do realize that people still talk this way, right? In fact, right here in Ontario, if you obtain a marriage license, you must wait until the "third day" before the marriage is solemnized, and the above is exactly what it means.

18. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

ituttut said:

Testy, Testy my friend.

I have a right to be "testy" when someone tells untruths concerning me.

Would you say an apology is in order

Yes, and you may deliver it at your convenience.

or do you continue to deny the words above came from your mentality?

As a matter of fact, since I never denied that Mark used those two words, I do deny it. Again you are less than honest concerning what I have posted.

[remainder of self-righteous, phony-pious drivel duly ignored]

19. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ransom,

Today is Friday. If I say that today is the first day SINCE I went to the dentist, on what day did I go to the dentist?

20. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

If I say that today is the first day SINCE I went to the dentist, on what day did I go to the dentist?

No one says "the first day since." It's not natural speech. You would probably have said something like "today" or "yesterday."

Of course we're not talking about the "first day since," but the "third day since," which is a normal manner of speaking.

In any case, talk about jumping through a bunch of hoops just to deny what the Bible says: that Jesus was crucified on Preparation Day, a normal name for Friday. All four Gospels are agreed (Matt. 27:62; Mark 15:42; Luke 23:54; John 19:31); it is frankly incontrovertible.

#100 Ransom, Oct 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2006