1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Did Mary Believe About the Virgin Birth?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ktn4eg, Feb 25, 2006.

1. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

"Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel." Isaiah 7:14

"Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man?" Luke 1:34

Since the virgin birth of the Saviour was already prophecied by Isaiah, I've wondered why Mary responded to the angel's announcement of her being the vessel God chose to concieve the Lord the way she did as recorded in Luke's Gospel.

Was she not aware of Isaiah's prophecy of the virgin birth, or was it for some other reason that she questioned the angel's announcement to her?

Comments anyone?

2. standingfirminChrist

Mary was not questioning her being the chosen vessel, but how it would happen. The angel continued and told her.

The Holy Ghost shall overshadow thee and thou shalt conceive.

3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Very simple, just read Luke 1:38 And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word. And the angel departed from her.