1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What Do Matthew 8:22 and Luke 9:60 Teach about Burial?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Scripture More Accurately, May 25, 2022.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There was a gentleman on the BaptistBoard a few years back who decided to post his observations on the book of Joshua.
    Once a month he would exegete a single verse.
    Each verse was taken totally by itself without reference to what went on in previous passages.

His method took him far from the meaning that the original author intended.

The goal of interpretation is to understand the purpose the original author intended (the inspired meaning).

The method reminds me of another former poster here who was lead astray by focusing on simple phrase rather than the message

Pisseth on the Wall [YouTube link]

Rob

#21 Deacon, May 25, 2022
    Last edited: May 25, 2022
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Scripture More Accurately

Scripture More Accurately Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I am not getting distracted. I understand what the "forest" is about. You are neglecting that it is essential to hold that both the so-called "forest" teaching of Jesus and "the leaves" teaching of Jesus be perfectly true; otherwise, maintaining the infallibility and inerrancy of Scripture is impossible, etc.

You have stated the point that you would like to make. I reject your approach. It's time to leave it there.

3. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not ignoring anything. You are denying explicit statements of Scripture.

You have stated the point that you would like to make. I reject your approach. It's time to leave it there.

4. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand very well what the goal of interpretation is. I and many other theologians reject your theological method. We will have to leave it there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What are the consequences for improper burial? Does Jesus ever say if you cremate instead of bury you will suffer the following consequences..

Is it…. Loss of salvation?
    Is it…. Loss of ??????

You stated in the other thread that the subject of burial is of “premier importance”

If burial is of “premier importance” there must be consequences for not getting it right,

Please tell us what those consequences are?

If you cannot articulate consequences for not getting burial right, please explain how it can be of “premier importance”?

peace to you

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's simply not how infallibility and inerrancy works... but that's for another thread

Rob

7. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    I tried as plainly as I could at the beginning of this thread to make clear that I wanted to focus on these verses in this thread and not a more global discussion. I would appreciate your not interfering with that discussion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you interested in a discussion, or just an echo chamber? We can discuss in depth why we take our views, but only if you are willing.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Part of Jesus ministry pertained solely to His ministry while He was a mortal man. And His disciples had to physically follow Him here on earth before He went to the cross.

10. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I respectfully reject your request that I not “interfere” with your discussion, which amounts to you refusing to acknowledge the very clear context of scripture.

I realize you made it painfully clear you did not want to address any hard questions about your out of context rambling concerning burial.

However, this is a debate forum and people get to ask you questions about what you stated.

You stated burial is of “premier importance”. The logical question to that statement is “what are the consequences of an improper burial? Of cremation?

If you don’t like the comments, you can request the mods close the thread.

peace to you

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have stated your views. I have stated my views. We are not in agreement and are not going to agree. I reject your hermeneutical and theological methods and you reject mine. There isn't anything left to discuss.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did not state that in this thread. I am not under any obligation to continue to discuss in a new thread what you want discussed from a different thread.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see. Do you see any relevance of these observations to how we are to understand what Jesus said in the verses that I stated in the opening post?

14. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As Wesley said to Princess Buttercup in "The Princess Bride" - "As you wish". Take care.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    But you did make the statement. You refused to answer in the other thread, so I bring it up in this thread which is a continuation of the other thread.

Let me give you an example of something that is of “premier importance.”

Paul tells the Corinthians they must take the Lord’s Supper in a worthy manner. Because they weren’t, many were sick and some had died. Now, there is a consequence for not doing something the right way.

If you are unwilling (more likely unable) to articulate a consequence for an improper burial, it cannot be of “premier importance”.

Peace to you

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. CalTech

CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Greetings,

I just wanted to say thank you for your approach to this topic, and utilizing the scriptures I used to reveal the Lord's will regarding burying over cremation.
    You have handled this in a very strong supportive manner, which is better than how I approached this. I am all self-taught by the Holy Spirit, and find it difficult to address, when member's seem to evade the issue's trying to be presented.

The Lord bless you...
    In His Love....

• Like Like x 1
  17. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps I missed something.
    Did you ever state your view on the passage in Matthew 8, “Let the dead bury the dead”?

Is it - Disciples of Christ should not bury their dead?
    Maybe - A follower of Jesus should not be an undertaker?

What exactly do you think the passage means?

Rob

• Like Like x 1
  18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When we engage in objective bible study, we try to gleam all the lessons stated or implied within the passage. Thus while a passage might have a main point, i.e. following Jesus even if you have to ignore the pressures of daily life, you can also gleam what is being taught (or not taught) about other issues. Here we have the claim that since interment in a tomb or placed underground was the culturally normative practice of that time, that means of handling remains of people (burial) is required by scripture. In short, that assertion is banality, and we should not waste time. The passage provides no support for that bogus speculation. Remember, speculation is the mother of false doctrine.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Except they are not about burial. Context is King. You have removed them from their context in order to eisegetically come to the completely wrong conclusion. Those verses are about choosing proper priorities given the call they received. What was more important? Following God's call or doing those things. That however doesn't have an application for exactly what we should do today. In other words we do not need to skip funerals to go to missions.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They're not instructive about burial at all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.