1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What do think about holding hands in church?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Joe, Jan 19, 2008.

?
  1. I like holding hands in church

27.3%
  2. I am ok with holding hands in church

34.1%
  3. I don't prefer it, but will tolerate holding hands in church

13.6%
  4. I don't like holding hands in church

25.0%
  1. standingfirminChrist

Do you obey Romans 16:16? and if so, how? What is a holy kiss?

2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. standingfirminChrist

Tell me what a holy kiss is, alcott, and I will tell you if I obey it or not.

Please provide Scripture that shows exactly what this holy kiss is and what is kissed (arm, hand, foot, head, etc.) Also, how often this holy kiss is to be exercised?

Again, please provide Scripture to show what, when, where and how.

4. Pete

Pete New Member

I'm borderline Adrian Monk, so don't like it :)

5. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

I've watched them hold hands during my sermon - I don't think they are paying attention to me - so I don't like it.

6. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I don't think the issue is holding hands with folks you know - saved or not - but rather folks you don't know. I don't normally have a problem with it. I'm very outgoing - never met a stranger kind of gal, but things have happened to make me realize that that there are very valid reasons why some folks might not want to hold hands with a stranger in an organized setting - maybe they are shy, maybe they are going through an emotional upheaval, who knows the reason. I'm just not as sure of the practice of holding hands in church to pray as I used to be.

If you go to a small church where everyone knows everyone, this may be different. If you go to a hugh church and there are people around you that you don't know on Sunday mornings, this is different too. Ron and I try to move around some in the Sanctuary so we don't get the feeling of having a spot and we go to a church that has five services. We know lot of the members, but we don't know them all and there are visitors.

Like I said, there was a day, I would have been all for "let's hold hands a pray" - I just don't know anymore how I feel.

7. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Good way to spread germs.

8. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Exactly.

love,

Sopranette

9. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I asked you my question first, and I wont' be be turned by any slick methods of evasion. Answer.

10. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

What's with you, Alcott? You've become very unlikeable lately. Very contenious. Fighting and poking fun for no apparent reason.

Sopranette

11. rbell

rbell Active Member

An ad nauseum reduction of this argument means there should be no interaction, whatsoever, between anyone of opposite genders...the "what ifs" will preclude it. What if you smile, talk, nod, etc., to someone with a lust problem? We're not talking about a slap on the fanny, folks. I think there's a reasonable middle ground here.

If it's a problem for someone, and I know it, I would certainly respect that person's wishes. If it makes them self-conscious (not a spiritual issue, but an embarassing one, such as sweaty palms), then being servant-hearted would mean not forcing my preferences on them.

But you take it too far to make it a lust issue, IMO.

I also don't get the gist of this feud. If one of you knows what a "holy kiss" is, then why are you not willing to discuss it until you get a certain response from another poster? Is your desire to be "right" more important than learning something, or iron sharpening iron? Come on, peoples... :thumbs:

12. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

Nothing wrong with holding hands in church.

Should your church family be strangers? They are your true family. :saint:

13. Joe

Joe New Member

True family :saint: ???
    Strangers in church are still strangers.
    To call them your true family, imo, is setting yourself up for a fall. Just like the BB, you can be talking to someone for months, and in just a whim, they will attack, gossip, and judge in an instant. Church is no different, it is full of people who call themselves "Christians" who use the Lord as an excuse to be mean.

#33 Joe, Jan 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2008
  14. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

If someone is in Christ they are your family, the ones you will be together with in Heaven. If someone in your church is doing something against you, you and the offending person would have to talk with your pastor.

15. Joe

Joe New Member

I understand. Yet we can't flippingly assume others are in Christ thus automatically a member of our church family.
    Like scripture says "Wide is the path to distruction" Imo, Satan really attacks the church.

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

So I wonder what the precentage is on people who do not wash their hands regualrly?

17. donnA

donnA Active Member

I asked you first, no I asked you first.....
    come on already, define it then ask it.

18. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Good way to spread warmth, love and good will.

Is the glass half empty or half full? :)

Mike

19. Cara

Cara New Member

We do it in my church.

One of the reasons so many people like to take an aisle seat, as it means only one hand has to hold another's!

Honestly, especially in the winter when so many folks are sneezing and coughing up a storm at church, I wouldn't mind holding hands as long as I'm wearing latex gloves!

20. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Snot a bad idea!