1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What do you all think?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by cindig2, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You paraphrased it quite well. That exactly the understanding that I got.

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I can just imagine the sparks!! Hatfields and McCoys

It is not so funny in a way because the police had to be called in at a SBC convention quite a number of years ago.

In the second church I pastored an elderly man told me at one time he carried a gun to church because a man who tried to rule the roost was regularly trying to control everyone and everything. One day the controller tried to control the other man and the man simply made it known that he had a gun and that got the control freak''s attention rather quickly. The control freak never did that again. That church had a lot of troubles which I was never told about and when I asked several others about the church I was told nothing. We refer to it as the church from hell now.

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I once heard of a pastor who kept a gun under the podeum for the same reason.

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

They was supposed to pass a law where we could carry guns. I wonder if they passed it? :)

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I remember our pastor telling us of something similar happening to him in his 3rd year of ministry at our church. He laughs and says that his ministry was just like Jesus' - first year was obscurity, second year was popularity and third year was crucifixion! There were a number of people pushing for him to be ousted and called for a special congregational meeting (of course, after telling all sorts of things to everyone to make the pastor look bad) - and Pastor had to announce it from the pulpit the week before! At first, he was just going to quit but finally he decided that he wasn't going to make it easy for them. He showed up at the meeting, got up first and told people that God had called him to this church, that he didn't give up unless God told him to and that they would have to vote to fire him because he wasn't quitting. After HOURS and HOURS (around 2AM, I think), he finally got up and said "Enough already. If you don't like me, vote me out but I'm NOT going to sit and listen to this any longer." Someone made a motion to vote, someone seconded it and so the vote went. The 15 people who were against the pastor and drilling for him to go voted him out - but the other 100+ people voted to keep him. The 15 left the church and never came back. Pastor has been at our church for 35 years since that vote and has had an amazing ministry. Just because a vocal few want them out, doesn't mean that the pastor has to sheepishly leave or that the rest of the congregation feels the same way. I'm glad pastor stood up to those few and has stayed the course. We have a history of keeping pastors for way longer than the norm unless we send them out in ministry, like we have a few. Otherwise, of the 9 pastors here, the senior pastor has been here 38 years, senior associate pastor 23 years, senior youth pastor 17 years, ministry pastor 12 years, business pastor 14 years, children's pastor 13 years, youth pastor 8 years (but was volunteering many years before that), then my DH who's an associate has been on staff for 5 years and the pastor of recovery ministries has been on for 4 years. I feel so blessed in our church!!

I feel badly for that church - there's something majorly wrong because the way they handled it isn't Biblical at all and if that's how they do business......
    Ann

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wasn't there a town some years ago that required its citizens to have guns? I think it was somewhere in the south.

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Tumbstone AZ?

8. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

UHMmmm,
    That's Tombstone to you pardner!:thumbs: :sleeping_2: G'nite.

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Yeah, they did! :thumbsup: It's known as The Second Amendment to the US Constitution. It was ratified almost 215 years ago on Dec. 15, 1791. :thumbs:
    Ed

#29 EdSutton, Sep 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2006
  10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I believe it is actually a suburb of Atlanta.

Ed

11. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Can you give us the date?? mm/dd/yy??

I do know that there are a certain number of police hired to attend each meeting for "crowd control"---security---etc.---but your implication was in order to "squelch" the feud at a particular business session---I want to know which one!! Documents please!!!

Bro. David