1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What Do You Believe about Demonic Instrumental Music?

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Scripture More Accurately, Mar 2, 2021.

?
  1. We cannot know if demonic instrumental music does or does not exist.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. There is no such thing as demonic instrumental music.

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Demonic instrumental music exists and all of it is neutral because it is just music.

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Demonic instrumental music exists and all of it pleases God.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Demonic instrumental music exists and none of it pleases God; it all displeases Him.

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  6. Demonic instrumental music exists and some of it pleases God and the rest does not.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Demonic instrumental music exists, but we cannot know whether any of it pleases God or not.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Scripture More Accurately

Scripture More Accurately Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is there such a thing as demonic instrumental music?

If such music exists, what is it?

If such music exists, what all can we know about it?

If such music exists, is God pleased with any of it?

2. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is a follow-up to at least two previous threads, but it focuses specifically on instrumental music (whether it is used to accompany singing or not) that one believes is or might be demonic. In this thread, I would like to find out more specifically what believers think about this subject and why they believe what they believe about it.

3. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many Christians may believe that there is alien life in outer space even though they believe that the Bible does not say anything about the existence of such beings.

Some of those same Christians may yet hold that there is no such thing as demonic instrumental music because they believe that the Bible does not say anything about the existence of such music.

Would it not be inconsistent to hold both of these positions?

4. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know of any Scriptures that prove or disprove the existence of demonic music - instrumental or otherwise. My opinion is strictly from the music that some artists use to glorify Satan. The vocals of certain songs seem to be demonically inspired, so I think the instrumentals may also be. With that in mind, they could just be grunge rock or some other kind of music that I can't stand. That is my uneducated (and probably biased) view.

5. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for getting the discussion started. As with every subject, there is Scripture that directs our thinking about this subject, either directly or by way of principles or both. As the discussion develops, I hope to profit many people by sharing at different points in the discussion what Scripture says that does pertain to the subject.

6. SGO

SGO Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Is it too much to ask how you define "demonic instrumental music"?

Please, no videos or sound bites.

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I formulated an operational definition of music long ago.

Music is a nonverbal form of human interaction communicating mood, emotion, demeanor, decorum, etc. through the pleasing and logical arrangement of certain sounds. Being a form of human communication, music is thought.

It doesn't matter what instrument is used, whether it's the human voice or some machine being operated by a human (and horns and harps are machines--things without life, giving sound, as Paul referred to them) there is no music in our world without a human source, be it corrupt or whole.

But I suspect that what SMA means by "Demonic Music" is something that he thinks carries the power of the Devil, and he's probably thinking of the kind of music made by artists like Iron Maiden (I know, that dates me) and Marilyn Manson. I could be wrong. He never comes right out and says what he means.

I don't think any music carries any spiritual power, whether it be demonic or angelic. That's just pagan superstition. It's power is in the carnal realm, and it does affect our moods. We like it a lot, like food and love.

All music has a character quality. Hymns are solemn. Psalms (as a style) are triumphant, joyful. But there were also forms in Paul's day called dithyrambs, which leaned toward the drunken and wild spectrum of style, and accompanied bacchanalian festivals.

There is devilish music, as much as there are other forms of devilish and sensual behavior, like that mentioned above. But music that is truly demonic would possess the very noise of Hell, and couldn't rightly be called music, like demoniacs can't rightly be called men; they're beasts. It would be fearful and disturbing and repulsive even to those who worship devils.

#7 Aaron, Mar 3, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  8. SGO

SGO Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thank you for the definition.

It helps.

What is strong to me from your definition is "sensual" and the fact that listening to it might help to generate or augment evil or negative thoughts. (no proof for the second part, only personal experience)

One thing, "whether it's the human voice or some machine being operated by a human ... there is no music in our world without a human source,"

Waves crashing, wind blowing, thunder, rain hitting a roof, crickets sending out there calls, the repeated sound of a train on tracks, birds chirping, wolves howling, a line of dominoes falling, a bubbling brook, whales "singing", the sound of a fire burning in a fireplace, the Xerox machine operating, all at times sound like music to me, no direct purposeful "playing" by humans.

Also sound waves do have power.

Have you heard about the sound weapons that have been developed?

LRAD Sound Cannon - How Does LRAD Work | Sonic Weapon in Protests

9. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    Simply put, demonic instrumental music is instrumental music produced either directly by demons themselves or by humans possessed, controlled, influenced, directed, led, etc. by them in such a manner that what the humans play instrumentally is what the devil and his demons want to be played on those instruments.

As an unapologetic believer in premillennial eschatology, I have many strong disagreements with people who hold perspectives that Aaron and others hold about what is true today about Satan and his demons. Satan is not bound today, and he and his demons are active all over the world in defiling the worship of God as much as possible.

#9 Scripture More Accurately, Mar 3, 2021
  10. SGO

SGO Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thank you for the definition.

They have to be directly under the power of evil?

Not just regular human beings in this world that like to explore the limits and also learn from others?

"Satan is not bound today"

The whole world is under his power:

...the whole world lieth in wickedness.
    1 John 5:19

But he big S is limited in that he can only do what our God allows.

And the Lord said unto Satan,
    Behold, all that he hath is in thy power;
    only upon himself put not forth thine hand.
    parts of Job 1:12

If he were not bound in some way beheading of the saints would be on a wholesale scale.

#10 SGO, Mar 3, 2021
  11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Poetically it is music, but not scientifically. The thing about music is, you know when you hear it. You know when someone is singing or speaking. And you know when the note and chord progression sounds natural, and when the notes and chords don't seem to follow one another, and whether or not something is harmonious or dissonant, and whether or not a musical phrase has been resolved. You know this by nature.

When we talk about music, we're not talking about the sound of a distant thunderstorm over the wide prairie, or the voice of a lover.

Soundwaves are not music.

12. SGO

SGO Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sounds good to me.

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is really useless as a definition. "Demonic music is anything a demon wants played." You gotta do better than that. How do you know it's "demonic"?

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, if you're going to define music as anything that sounds good to you, then you have a useless definition of music, too. ;)

15. SGO

SGO Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Aw, shoot. I hear ya.

Thought music had sound waves but maybe only when played.

This sounds good. "The thing about music is, you know when you hear it. "

#15 SGO, Mar 3, 2021
  16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And it can be described scientifically, and a pattern of relationships emerge. Not so with waves crashing.

17. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are not going to be able to have meaningful discourse considering that you feel that it is appropriate to condescendingly insult those who disagree with you. Your theology and hermeneutics differ greatly from mine so discussing specific points is very likely going to be pointless.

I would rather not discourse further with you on this subject.

#17 Scripture More Accurately, Mar 3, 2021
  18. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Natch.

I'll still illuminate the fallacies in your arguments and premises.

19. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have not illumined anything about any fallacies in my arguments or premises. You have made assumptions about my views that were wrong.

#19 Scripture More Accurately, Mar 4, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  20. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    K