1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What Do You Believe about Instrumental Music?

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Scripture More Accurately, Feb 26, 2021.

?
  1. All instrumental music pleases God.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No instrumental music pleases God. It's all neutral--it neither pleases Him nor displeases Him.

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Some instrumental music pleases God. The rest does not please Him.

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  4. Some instrumental music pleases God, some does not, and the rest is neutral--it does neither.

9 vote(s)
    64.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scripture More Accurately

Scripture More Accurately Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe that the lady in that video (I have not had time to look at the video) wrote a book on the same subject that I would like to go through carefully someday.

#121 Scripture More Accurately, Mar 2, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  2. Scott Downey

Scott Downey Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Pipes, so instruments blown through such flutes they would have used. Jesus also mentions pipes.
    Tabrets, lyres, viols, pipes, organs. Honestly Israel used many musical instruments in celebrational worship.
    Anything that was musical and considered pleasant to hear for the time would have been acceptable in worship and played, and really that means musical instruments that are more recently invented (pianos), orchestral instruments, are also ok to be played by men on this earth in celebratory worship.

What Musical Instruments Were Used in Biblical Times? (whatchristianswanttoknow.com)

Isaiah 30:32 And in every place where the grounded staff shall pass, which the Lord shall lay upon him, it shall be with tabrets and harps: and in battles of shaking will he fight with it.

Job 21:12 They take the timbrel and harp, And rejoice at the sound of the organ.

1 Kings 10:12 And the king made of the almug trees pillars for the house of the LORD, and for the king’s house, harps also and psalteries for singers: there came no such almug trees, nor were seen unto this day.

Isaiah 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, And wine, are in their feasts: But they regard not the work of the LORD, Neither consider the operation of his hands.

Isaiah 30:29 Ye shall have a song, as in the night when a holy solemnity is kept; And gladness of heart, as when one goeth with a pipe To come into the mountain of the LORD, to the mighty One of Israel.

1 Kings 1:38–40 So Zadok the priest, and Nathan the prophet, and Benaiah the son of Jehoiada, and the Cherethites, and the Pelethites, went down, and caused Solomon to ride upon king David’s mule, and brought him to Gihon. And Zadok the priest took an horn of oil out of the tabernacle, and anointed Solomon. And they blew the trumpet; and all the people said, God save king Solomon. And all the people came up after him, and the people piped with pipes, and rejoiced with great joy, so that the earth rent with the sound of them.

Matthew 11:17 And saying, We have piped unto you, and ye have not danced; we have mourned unto you, and ye have not lamented.

God is not interested in musical instruments in worship when the people are false, HE says HE wont hear that.

Amos 5:23 Take thou away from me the noise of thy songs; For I will not hear the melody of thy viols.

#122 Scott Downey, Mar 2, 2021
  3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whatever you say or do, do it as unto the Lord Jesus!

4. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    All musical forms of worship or only your select forms?

5. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    By this logic, would you agree that God created Frank Zappa and that Fran Zappa's instrumental song "Apostrophe" pleases God, because God made Frank Zappa and thus ordained the song "Apostrophe" to be created?

6. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do you know this?
    Played in a church, to the glory of God, why would the worshippers minds automatically be on dancing for themselves, not for God?
    It seems to me that you are projecting your judgment onto the song due to a cultural experience you either had or assume happened.
    Would you applaud Michael's disapproval of David's dancing when the Ark of the Covenant was brought into Jerusalem to the sounds of music, drums and tambourines?

7. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe you meant "Michel", not "Michael".

Being Saul's daughter, she didn't likely appreciate the ark's importance at that time. But her main gripe was David's dancing so hard that his privates were exposed. (Remember mens' garb in that time/place.) As for MY approval, Dave was expressing his joy that the ark was being returned to Israel.

8. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 Samuel 6:5 And David and all the house of Israel played before the Lord on all manner of instruments made of fir wood, even on harps, and on psalteries, and on timbrels, and on cornets, and on cymbals. KJV

1 Chronicles 13:8And David and all Israel played before God with all their might, and with singing, and with harps, and with psalteries, and with timbrels, and with cymbals, and with trumpets. KJV

There will be harps in Heaven as I believe these references seem to testify of below.

Revelation 5:8 And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints. KJV

Revelation 14:2And I heard a voice from heaven, as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of a great thunder: and I heard the voice of harpers harping with their harps: KJV

Revelation 15:2And I saw as it were a sea of glass mingled with fire: and them that had gotten the victory over the beast, and over his image, and over his mark, and over the number of his name, stand on the sea of glass, having the harps of God. KJV

It's how you play the instruments because they have to be played as unto the Lord in seeking the glory of the Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, in order to honor & glorify God the Father by in Heaven.

John 5:22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son: 23 That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him. KJV

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

9. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please expand on your question.

10. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    The passage that I quoted and explained was about seeds, not humans. Humans are not like seeds because God created humans with free will. Many choose to be evil and do evil, including musicians who produce instrumental music that does not please God.

Ecclesiastes 7:29 Lo, this only have I found, that God hath made man upright; but they have sought out many inventions.

Romans 1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, 30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    six hour warning

This thread will be closed at 1130 pm EST/ 830 pm PST

12. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not believe that his privates were exposed, but after looking at the passages further I can see why some might think that they were.

#132 Scripture More Accurately, Mar 2, 2021
  13. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    In context, Job 21:12 is a statement about the musical activities of wicked people:

Job 21:7 Wherefore do the wicked live, become old, yea, are mighty in power? 8 Their seed is established in their sight with them, and their offspring before their eyes. 9 Their houses are safe from fear, neither is the rod of God upon them. 10 Their bull gendereth, and faileth not; their cow calveth, and casteth not her calf. 11 They send forth their little ones like a flock, and their children dance. 12 They take the timbrel and harp, and rejoice at the sound of the organ.

Similarly, Isaiah 5:12 is about what evil people were doing:

Isaiah 5:11 Woe unto them that rise up early in the morning, that they may follow strong drink; that continue until night, till wine inflame them! 12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD, neither consider the operation of his hands.

14. Scott Downey

Scott Downey Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    yes, some verses simply show what musical instruments they had. BUT as you can see, it all depends on what the person is doing with the instrument, because a harp, tabret, pipes are also mentioned being used by the wicked and by the righteous.

15. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I have never asserted that any instruments themselves are ungodly, etc.

16. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    How can I expand on all?

17. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then I'll expand on what I've read of your comments. From what I've read, you seemto hold that if a congregation is not using CCM it is not singing spiritual music.

18. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not at all. I love many, many hymns. The key, for me, is the teaching in the song. For example, "I Come to the Garden" is a song with almost no teaching and relies entirely upon emotion. I find no need to sing that song. But I will openly joy in "What Ere My God Ordains Is Right" due to its deep teaching of God's grace. I find joy in nearly all musical genres as I listen to God's children give Him glory. I listen to Propaganda's (Christian Hip Hop/Spoken word artist) song GOSPEL and I rejoice in the truth being spoken. Then turn on Handel's Messiah and be lead through the scriptures. They are all great blessings from God and I embrace them all. I also rejoice in how God uses even the unredeemed musical geniuses to reveal creative music that points me toward a God who graciously blesses even those who are damned by unrepentant sin.

Hopefully that answers your question. If you ever want to go listen to a southern gospel quartet, let me know!

19. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

This thread is closed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.