1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What do you consider constitutes true worship?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by agedman, Jun 12, 2017.

1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The word "worship" is so commonly used that, in my opinion, it has become nearly impossible to define and much less to discern.

One can read in more than one scource that true worship comes from the heart, that it is the expression of total devotion to God, and that it is personally solemn in both repentance and rejoicing in deliverance.

John records that we are to be honest and spiritually led in worship, and that it is to be directed to The Father (John 4).

Paul states that there is a certain expected level of being capable of presentating our bodies ready to be sacrificed (Romans 12).

There are a number of other Scripture examples that could be placed here, but that would serve only to delay the basic question(s).

1. What do you consider conforms your "worship service" to be acceptable to God? (see Scriptures above)

2. Would your "worship" be disturbed and incomplete if interrupted by armed soldiers entering, gathering members to be harmed, and even destroying the gathering place? (Africa, China, India, South America)

3. How effective or effected would your "worship" be without instruments, electricity, water, food, warmth, coolness, ... and even an available copy of Scriptures? (The persecuted church in Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan)

4. How honest are you with God if you are not still and quiet enough to hear His voice or even be at peace when all around you is in pieces as the worldly noise clambering for attention? (Ecclesiastes 5)

That basic question involving focus, authority, privilege, and honesty: What do you consider constitutes true worship?

In the response please feel free to express how your particular gathering succeeds or fails in worship.

(Note: forgive spelling and punctuation errors. I could blame it on arthritic hands trying to hold the iPad and type with a finger that doesn't point at the correct letter, but that would be dishonest. )

• Like Like x 1
  2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I see the term "worship pastor" and he really is the music director - that implies that ONLY the music is worship.
    The entire service is worship - including leaving and "entering the mission field"

• Like Like x 2
  3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There has been a lack of discipleship in our churches which has led to it being applied inappropriately.

I am not sure how you would see this be expressed but it can and often times is very solemn in that there is a quieting sense of who God is, and then there is a joy expressed much like the hallelujah joy seen when Jesus entered the city before His death.

I am currently discipling my church to see worship as an expression of What they know of God and what God is doing in their lives. To seek God all week and then our worship to be an outpouring of that rather than to be a consumer of a show and the pastor and praise team responsible for how well your worship goes. It has been a struggle in my church and in the average church because:

1. Even though those leading in worship may have, the average church member has not sought God therefore they are not Spirit led.
    2. The average church member is a consumer of worship practices rather than engaging in authentic worship in Spirit and truth.
    3. The average church member is not willing to seek after God all week and then comes into the church expecting a great worship experience.
    4. There has been a serious lack of discipleship in our churches and I blame the pulpits. The buck stops there.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In general, I hold to a regulative principle of worship, though not necessarily in the same sense others do. Derek Thomas says, “Put simply, the regulative principle of worship states that the corporate worship of God is to be founded upon specific directions of Scripture.” That is basically what I hold. The 1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith, 22:1 expresses it this way:
    “...But the acceptable way of worshipping the true God, is instituted by himself, and so limited by his own revealed will, that he may not be worshipped according to the imagination and devices of men, nor the suggestions of Satan, under any visible representations, or any other way not prescribed in the Holy Scriptures.”
    We put it this way in our Position Statement: “The sufficiency of Scripture for all matters of faith and practice insists that our congregational gatherings be restricted to those elements that Scripture requires – praying, thanksgiving, praising , singing, Scripture reading, preaching/teaching, giving, observing the ordinances, ordination and sending, testimonies, greetings, reporting the Lord’s work, decision-making and church discipline. Any element must be understood from a command, approved example or necessary implication of Scripture.” [Colossians 4:2-3; Ephesians 5:19; Colossians 3:16; 1 Timothy 4:13; 2 Timothy 4:2; Matthew 28:20; 1 Corinthians 16:1-2; Matthew 28:19; 1 Corinthians 11:23-30; 1 Timothy 4:14; Acts 13:1-3; 2 Thessalonians 1:10; 1 Thessalonians 5:26; Acts 11:4; Acts 14:26-27; Acts 1:23-26; Acts 6:1-6; Acts 15:22; 1 Corinthians 5:4]
    Yes, the corporate worship would be disturbed and interrupted, but that would not preclude individual worship.
    While some of these might effect our comfort, the only one of these that would effect worship would be the lack of an available copy of Scriptures. That lack does not end worship, but would limit to some degree our worship based on our memorized knowledge of the Scriptures. For example, you could quote Scripture you know, but could not read or reference any Scripture you do not know.
    I'm not sure how honest most of us are with God, period. But we does need times of stillness and quiet to be alone with God. This, though, is different from corporate worship when we assemble together. (Perhaps I am misunderstanding your question.)

5. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What criterion is applied that places music as worship in the fellowship?

Is worship nebulas enough that what may be worship by one person or fellowship is considered vain sin by another?

If so, is then not worship become what man desires rather than what God requires?

As to worship leaders and teams, at what point is the worship pastor or team actually become a hinderance to worship. In an extreme example, hophni and phineas hindered the worship at the temple, could a worship leader be of such character as destructive to the need of the congregation members that person is to serve?

6. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting post!

It called to my mind the Acts account of Ananias and Sappira. The modern church folk may sing "I surrender all" yet not desire to be accountable for that vow. The concern being that which you expressed in the first points of your post.

I ponder over what degree of rebuke to the fellowship is brought by the lack of honesty and Spirit leading that would allow for vows sung with no intention of full implementation.

Perhaps it would be wise for worship leaders to examine the offering or the vow making to see if the enemy is undermining by supplanting honesty with disception and Spirit with distraction.

7. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why should stillness and quiet before God be excluded from worship by the gathered group?

8. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Stillness and quiet is not excluded altogether, but the purpose of assembling together (based on the representative examples in the book of Acts) will include much activity that is not still or quiet, such as preaching, praying, singing and so on.

#8 rlvaughn, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  9. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our corporate worship is characterized by the basic willingness to come together as a group of wildly diverse individuals and seek God together in faith. We seek an encounter with God, repentance, recognition and celebration of the inherent and demonstrated goodness of God, and growth and sanctification in the process of worship and the discipline of community.

Until we could gather again, our corporate worship would be disturbed. However, the essential elements of personal worship cannot be prevented by any human. The corporate expression of worship is only restricted by disconnection from the community of faith. Once we are together again, we could worship corporately.

The absence of written scripture would be a hindrance to some degree, but many of us have passages of scripture intentionally memorized – or have unintentionally memorized them simply through familiarity. (Truth be told, most of my scripture memorization simply occurs as I study and meditate upon the scriptures. I have not been terribly intentional about it, but grateful that it happens.) Our congregation has enough members who are familiar with the scriptures to reconstruct a significant among of the biblical texts.

As a mild introvert, I naturally seek solitude to unwind, rest, reflect and refocus. In those moments I usually hear God’s voice or have my thoughts directed to certain passages of scripture that turn out to be incredibly relevant to me or to someone whom I will shortly minister. I think extroverts must have a much more difficult time getting to the same place because it requires more discipline and intentionality.

Giving everything one knows about oneself to everything one knows about Christ. That action can be expressed both personally and corporately, using many forms – prayer, song, speaking, the arts, fellowship, testimony, scripture reading, proclamation, teaching, etc.

Worship is the foundation of Christian living and transformation. All of the spiritual disciplines are based in worship and all of our ministries should be acts of worship. In fact, we should trust in the LORD with all our heart and not lean on our own understanding. In all our ways we should acknowledge Him and He will make our paths straight. (Proverbs 3:5-6)

All of the major external elements that enhance worship are available to the congregation each Sunday morning. Whether or not an individual worships is something that is out of the control of the gathered body of Christ. It is also difficult to judge whether or not another person is truly worshiping. Often, people assume others are having a deep worship experience because they are emotional or their body language suggests something is overwhelming them, but I know that is not necessarily true. I am not a particularly emotive person (some have described me as “stoic”), but there are some weeks where I am profoundly and deeply stirred by the grace of God, and others where things don’t rise above the Sunday morning routine. On the outside, it is hard to tell the difference on the short term.

I suggest that the best evidence of true worship is transformation of both short term and long term behavior. If someone is living and practicing the works of the flesh, then they are not experiencing God in a significant way. If someone is walking in the Spirit and manifesting the fruit of the Spirit, you can be sure that worship is part of the equation.

10. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why should stillness and quiet before God be excluded from worship by the gathered group?

11. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I agree. In each instance where the Scripture provide a glimpse of both individual and real corporate worship it is the of and includes transformation.

The scriptural evidence seems greatly absent in the modern church.

Psalms 78 (if I recall correctly) describes the worship of those who do so with head and tongue but the heart is far from Him, yet He shows Himself faithful to His promises.

The expectancy of the change in the person seems also to be a crucial factor in the local fellowship. One is accepting, as were the believers at Corinth, of just any behavior as long as that person was faithful in attendance or in some way a supporter of the work.

Worship obliges a cleansing and separation from the world and all that pertains to that distraction and at times even those who are unrepentantly contuning in unGodliness.

#11 agedman, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  12. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Answered in post 8 above, which might have been lost in the shuffle -- in which I did not say it should be excluded.
    On the flip side, what principles and examples do you see in the New Testament to support stillness and quiet as part of the gathered worship (and perhaps define or explain what you mean by this stillness and quiet).

Thanks.

13. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are correct, again I could blame it on the iPad, but it would be better to state the matter as my own carelessness and lack of attention.

You ask for NT examples, and perhaps I would direct you to the work during the earthly ministry of our Lord. If ever there was a time to hoop it up it was at His birth, but neither the parents nor the shipyards did so in His presence, nor even the wise men.

Later throuout the teaching time, there was not a time I recall which worship of our Lord was given over to excess.

What is certainly evidenced is that the unredeemed will shout and act out the loudest and most fervently in both praise and condemnation.

I am not defending the absence of being busy in the worship, but I do question the inclusion of the world and worldly as if either have anyplace other than to be sacrificed and left behind.

For example, the temple was a busy place that was designed and had specific vessels used in the worship of that time, each that was authorized by God, and each was set apart and unique to that service. Is it then not something to ponder that the tools and approaches in the worship of this day be just as set apart and used solely for the purpose of worship? Does not the fellowship gathering represent the very temple (consider Paul's statement,"
    "Know you not that ...").

Perhaps part of what I am asking at this post is, what vessel or part of the tabernacle and temple did not proclaim praise to God yet with not a shade of self directed or self importance? Are believers not all to be considered as performing our reasonable service and not one worthy of self praise but dedicated to the worship of The Father?

14. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless people get to a point where they are truly seeking God daily, I means truly seeking Him, everything else is a non starter. Lip service at best.

15. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed.

16. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

True Biblical worship is divided in Scripture between personal and public worship. Personal worship can be 24/7 no matter where you are or what you may be doing as long as what you are doing is not contrary to the revealed will of God. Public worship revolves around "the house of God" (1 Tim. 3:15) which refers to the New Testament assembly as in 1 Cor. 12-14 and the form of worship outlined in Scripture.

Worship is the most misunderstood subject in Scripture. The old English word "worship" simply means to "give worth" and the best Biblical text for defining it is Psalm 29:2

Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name; worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness. – Psa. 29:2

True Biblical worship always gives unto the Lord the glory due unto his name and is always in the beauty of holiness. Worship that does not meet these criteria are called (1) Idolatry; (2) vain worship; (3) will worship; (4) Ignorant worship - Jn. 4; (5) disorderly worship - 1 Cor. 14:33,41

True Biblical worship both personal and public is ALWAYS both "in spirit and in truth" or it ceases to be "acceptable worship."

So true worship is not worship anyway you please but what pleases God and that is revealed in Scripture. You can be sincere but sincerely wrong and wrong worship does not "give unto the Lord the glory due unto his name" nor is it "in the beauty of holiness" or that which is set apart by obedience to His revealed will in this matter.

17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True worshippers are those who worship in truth and in spirit, according to Christ. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit and a contrite heart.

I find that where these things abound, there is a dearth of pomp and exhibitionism. There is simplicity in the Gospel presentation, sweetness in the singing, and gentleness and quietness in the congregation.

18. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You and I, both.

The Father is not worshiped by or in confusion. When Christ sets the heart and mind free, it becomes un-tormented, peaceful, and still before The Lord.