1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Do You Do When...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by DeadMan, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    By their own testimony - ask a RC if they have been saved by grace alone by faith alone and 99% will bring in works, rituals, rites, church (remember, the RC church has said there is NO SALVATION outside their church).

I have known precious few who were truly born again. Sadly. RC is a dangerous, damning false "christian" religion. It is not a cult. There I agree with you that we should be careful with labeling.

2. DavidsonBap

DavidsonBap New Member

Well Dr.Bob it's good to know you feel they are not a cult. You are a smarter man than I I'm sure, but I do have an opinion. I think they are brothers and sisters in Christ and we need to work together. I think this couple can move forward despite this bump. But that's me.

3. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

I would join the catholic church with her!

I'm not kidding.

I would also see if there is something about the worship service you now attend that makes her feel something is missing. Perhaps a more liturgical service is what she is looking for. A PCA church might provide that for her.

But if all else fails, I would join with her.

BTW, throwing a fit and wanting to see an attorney is not the right way to go about it.

If God is God, he knows even about this. What does God want you to learn (in the Catholic Church) that you haven't learned where you are at?

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We all have opinions. Then there are facts. Unlike Paul, I could NEVER tell someone to join with Catholicism on behalf of a marriage (or on behalf of anything).

I would agree with the suggestion of PCA or such that DOES still present the truth Faith (unlike Rome) while retaining more "high church" liturgy.

5. DavidsonBap

DavidsonBap New Member

The Catholic Church is a Christian church, and shares core beliefs with the majority of other trinitarian groups. They recognize the legitimacy and rightness of other expressions of the same faith and respect the preference of each Church in her liturgical life and piety.

They are brothers and sisters in Christ. That is a fact. Or a fact God alone can judge.

Anyway, who are we to judge anothers salvation. The deal is, I think this couple can make it through this regardless if she is a Catholic.

So, I hope they do and I wish the them the best.

6. Essene

Essene New Member

Reminds me of Rumsfeld.

7. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Paul33,

please remember what the OPer has stated. He has found out that his wife is angry at God. Why in the world would he then FOLLOW her, and decide that since she's angry at God they need to change churches?

Anyone who claims that Catholicism is on a par with Biblical teachings doesn't have an inkling of what catholicism really teaches.

They talk a good talk on the outside, but if you go at all beyond the merest top surface unBiblical things will start to come out. Many of the average laypeople are pretty ignorant of this, since they are told they believe the Bible and they pretty much think they do, but most don't study their Bible to find out if they line up. Those who DO study their Bibles have serious problems with the RCC, even if they opt to stay in it for some reason.

This lady has let her anger get ahold of her. It would do her good to start really delving into why she's really angry, and then resist those angry thoughts. Give them to God. When they try to surface again, turn and tell God you aren't going to listen to those thoughts anymore. Keep working at thinking on those things which are good and just and pure.
    If I were talking to her, Id also remind her that she is to be in submission to her husband. That does not mean that her husband has to be perfect, or that he has to actively work at taking charge. It means she has to actively GIVE him the leadership, whether he deserves it or not. This would include the ultimate decision of which church to attend.
    It seems to me that it is not added formality she is looking for. You can get that at various styles of Baptist churches. One does not need to turn Catholic and reject Bible teachings. However, it sounds to me like she's looking for added distance between herself and God. A focus on a God who is there, but in some distant place might be very appealing when you are angry at Him.

Im glad she's willing to talk with the pastor of her church. She needs to start seeing him as HER pastor, as well.

8. fatbacker

fatbacker New Member

My question would be to ask her if she thinks God will be different in the Catholic church than He is in the Baptist or Church of Christ or any other christian denomination. God is God no matter where you go in the christian faith.

I would also ask her if she has any biblical reasons why she thinks she needs to become Catholic.

She needs to decide if she is trying to earn more favor with God by being more religius or if she just likes the ceremonies that they go through. If she likes the ceremonies she needs to realize that it does not earn her more favor from heaven by performing these religious duties. There is nothing wrong with trying to prove to God that you love Him by doing certain things but it is dangerous to think that performing religious cerimonial duties is what impresses God. It is by knowing we are saved by grace, living like we are saved by grace and telling those that don't know Jesus that we are saved by grace and are forgivin if we repent and believe and doing it through the worldly adversities is what impresses God. Although it does not somehow earn you more salvation.

If she wants to get closer to God then she needs to get more into her devotions and prayers with God and then going out and doing what God would do and that is go where people need the most help and give her time and compassion and love to those people. Going to a Catholic church and performing religious duties unto God only works if she is going out into her community and using her God givin talents for those God had intended her to come across.

1 Samuel:15 says that "God desires obedience and not sacrifice." In the new testament era to obey God is to be a disciple of Jesus and to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ. No where are we commanded to perform reliqious duties.

The only other problem I can see with going to a Catholic church is the immense amount of idolatry they have. Mary was the earthly sinful mother of Jesus and not a figure to pray to. That is false worship.

9. DeadMan

DeadMan New Member

Regardless of her decisions, I will not follow her into the catholic church. And neither will my kids. "Cult" is probably a strong word for them, but "Christian brothers" the other end of the spectrum. Although on paper they teach salvation through the blood of Christ, in practive it's like Jesus opened a door and salvation for a catholic is through the strict adherance of ALL teachings of the papacy. That, to me, this iliminates them as being "Christian brothers".

10. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

By joining the Catholic Church with her he accomplishes two things: He affirms her and his marriage; He is there to work through the spiritual issues that she is struggling with.

Together they can discuss doctrine, God, sin, forgiveness, etc. and look at the Bible together.

I'm not saying that they have to agree with every doctrinal position of the Catholic Church, but by joining together they can discuss it together. It is their journey as one!

I've read the Catechism of the Catholic Church and found it enriching. I have a better understanding of how the Catholic Church is changing, what it believes, and where I differ. But I've also come to the conclusion that "devout" Catholics are brothers and sisters in Christ, just like "devout" Baptists!

11. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Deadman,

There seems to be more going on here than just my wife wants to join the Catholic Church.

I'd go to hell and back if it meant helping my wife deal with a spiritual issue. You want to see an attorney. Hmmm.

I don't care what religion my wife would want to join, I'd be right there beside her every step of the way!

I'm from Auburn! War Eagle!

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    True, unlike United Pentecostal, whom many whould THINK are Christian. UPC denies the trinity and is therefore not, in the loosest sense of the word, any more "christian" than a JW or Mormon.

Some, small minority, may be. Calling them "brother and sister" in Christ implies regeneration and salvation and THAT, as we all know, has evidences to show it. Evidences that are sadly lacking in 99%+ of RC.

As a whole, they are "christian" as in holding to orthodox Christian beliefs. They are NOT my "Brothers and sisters" by any stretch.

I am amazed at Baptists who would consider the greatest persecutor and destructive force in world-wide missions - the great whore of Rome - to be "brothers and sisters".

Always amazed at the different birds that roost in the Baptist tree!!

13. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

The RCs I've met through prolife work are regenerated saved by grace Christians!

Many Baptists are also sadly lacking in "evidences" of regeneration. But they've said their prayer and they are going to heaven even though they care not at all for the things of God.

In every denomination of the Christian Church there are those who are regenerated and those who merely profess.

And the Baptists are no different. In fact, the vast majority aren't trusting in salvation by grace through faith. They are trusting instead in their prayer! For them, it's grace plus "my prayer." Grace plus works!

14. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We disagree. Growing up in Minnesota and pastoring in Wisconsin (not far from your local, btw), I could name on one hand ALL of the RC who ever gave testimony of salvation through faith alone.

And being a pastor and college prof, I knew a bunch.

Hence why WE (Baptists who believe we have the true message of salvation) work aggressively to evangelize Cathoics (who do NOT have the message of salvation).

15. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am probably one of the more pro-Catholic members on this board.

If my wife wanted to explore Catholicism, I would journey with her by attending mass and talking to the priest with her. That would also be part of my role as spiritual head of the household, to support, encourage and ensure that my wife is growing in her relationship with Christ. If becoming Catholic is an important part of her spiritual journey in Christ, we would have to make a family decision about how to move forward considering that I do not feel the need to convert to Catholicism.

Factors would include my spiritual headship as well as unity of the family, especially if kids are involved. Depending on the reasons for my wife's searching in Catholicism, a compromise denomination like Anglicanism or Methodist may be one solution. Another option would be a Baptist or non-denominational church with a more liturgical style of worship. Another option would be for the family to attend one church together while one of the spouses also attends the other.

In all things, lots of prayer for God's leading and possibly some pain would be involved.

16. bapmom

bapmom New Member

People,

look at the true picture! Its not that she wants to change churches thats the problem! Her feeling on that is the symptom of a deeper problem.

Don't ever make a major, life-changing decision when you are having basic spiritual struggles like being angry at God.

I think DeadMan understands this, and is taking proper steps to help his wife through this time in her life. My other word of advice would be for you to start having a regular, daily family devotions time.

17. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Yes, I must disagree with Paul. Don't ever join the R.C.C. YOU will answer at the Judgement seat of Christ for what YOU do, not for what anyone else does.
    As I alluded to in my first post, I knew that I would draw some fire for my labeling the R.C.C as a cult. Do they believe in the Trinity? Yes. Do they believe in the divinity of Christ? Yes. Do they believe in the virgin birth? That goes without saying. Why do I say what I do then?
    First of all, the Lord Jesus did NOT say that a little unleaven unleavens' the whole batch; No, He said a little leaven leavens' the whole batch.
    Are they then to be patted on the back (so-to-speak) because they get a few doctrinal points correct, while the vast majority of their teaching is everything from error to outright blasphemy?
    The main reason I label them so is because the Scripture says that, "There is one God, and one mediator between God and man, the man Christ Jesus." But the R.C.C. makes Mary co-redemtrix, co-mediattrix. To put anyone up on the same level as God the Son, cheapens and demeans Him. Was not His sacrifice on the cross all sufficient? To so slander the Son of God that way, what real difference is there then in that, or saying that He is Michael the Archangel (J.W.s)?. The Lord Jesus Christ is not co-anything with anybody, to say so is a false view of Christ and who He really is, and, IMHO qualifies the adherants of such teaching, the R.C.C. in this case, a cult.

18. DeadMan

DeadMan New Member

You're exactly right! I'm taking Monday off to watch the kids so she can literally just walk in and talk to our pastor.

19. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Dr.Bob,

I don't disagree with you. There are many catholics who are lost and trusting in something other than the shed blood of Jesus Christ.

But the same is true of the Baptist in my local who are trusting in their prayer.

But in the prolife movement in the Milwaukee area I encountered truly born again catholics.

I've even encountered truly born again Baptists!

20. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Perhaps "join" is too strong of a word. What I meant to say is that I would attend whatever church my wife wanted to attend if that's what it took to help her, be by her side, maintain unity, and "know" what she was hearing and being taught!

I would be right there with her! That's my point!