1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What do you pay for property tax?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by annsni, Jan 6, 2008.

?
  1. $0-100

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. $101-300

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. $301-500

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. $501-800

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  5. $801-1000

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  6. $1001-3000

18 vote(s)
    52.9%
  7. $3001-5000

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  8. $5001-8000

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. $8001-10,000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. $10,001+

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

thanks...

Man, who pays 10,000 or more per year in PT? :eek:

Can I borrow some money? :D

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That would be us. I'd gladly loan you money but the government took it all! :laugh: I just posted that our property taxes are $14,000.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

WOW!

Where do you live...the New Jerusalem?!? :)

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

LOL - I don't think the taxes would be this high there - even with the streets of gold!

I'm on Long Island. We have an acre of property and a house that's about 2800 square feet that's 40 years old. Lovely, isn't it??

Some days I dream of being able to move and get a gorgeous house on a big piece of property with room for horses for 1/3 the price of our house or less. It could only happen if we moved to another part of the country.

SIGH - oh to dream!

5. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Follow the yellow brick road to Upstate, annsi. :thumbs: We have 155 acres of mixed tillage and woods that runs $2800 a year. It was about the same 7 years ago before the house and barns were split off. We don't have any yacht clubs but I'll let you take the paddle boat for a spin around the bass pond. :wavey:

6. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Real Estate tax on property.

In NC, we also have a personal property tax. Like on cars

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We'll just put Set Free up on blocks and pretend. Do you have a hose that we can set up with a sprinkler to make some sea spray?? (BTW - We paid off the boat before DH became a pastor so no mortgage on that and my ILs pay for us to stay in the yacht club. Bless their hearts! Other than that, it actually costs less than a car to keep AND it's our entire vacation.)

But at our church, longevity is the key word. We don't have pastors coming and going - they all get brought up from the inside and stay! We're celebrating our senior pastor's 40th anniversary next week. The next pastor has been here 25 years. The next 18 years. Then the remainder is 17, 17, 16, 14, 8, 6, 6 and now we have 2 pastoral interns who are just starting. The only pastors who have left were pastors who we purposely trained to go off church planting or for missions. So it looks like we're stuck here for good unless God has some other plans!

8. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

Property tax as well as the death tax should be done away with.

9. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We pay way too much, but thankfully the tax increase is capped each year and does not reflect the true market value. Otherwise, we couldn't afford to live here -- especially with our insurance costs -- which is way more than our property taxes.

The problem with the current system is that you have neighbors with similar homes paying vastly different amounts in property taxes -- someone may pay $4k, someone $6k and a newcomer, $13k. It's really all over the place. Another problem is that if you want to move - and downsize - you are stuck in your current house because you can't afford the taxes in smaller house.

There is an upcoming election in Florida with changes that should reduce this problem and lower our property taxes -- though not nearly enough. Hopefully, this will pass.

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

This is in western Kentucky where house prices are fairly low. I have a 3BR, 2 bath, 2 car attached garage, 1700 sq ft, about 30 year old, ranch style brick house on a half acre. It is probably worth about 130 K. The taxes last year were $750.

11. ANewCreature

ANewCreature New Member

Wow; some of those numbers are scary. But, I know God will provide.

I think here in NE Ohio it's among the lowest around, from what I'm hearing; of course, I'm in a city, maybe rural it would be less? Anyway, what one said makes sense - for us, you have to get a permit to anything that changes the outward appearance, but not the inside. So, so turn a bedroom into an office with a breezeway entrace by knocking out part of a wall didn't need a permit, but adding a side door and other stuff on the outside did.

I wonder what the housing bubble starting to burst is doing to property taxes?

Also wondering how Social Security handles it if a pastor is on tht and running a church - maybe I'd be better off as an evangelist. :wavey: :praying:

Oh, well, I know He has something for me out there - I feel he's called me to do something, it's just frustrating when it doesn't happen right away. but, I'm sure most of you have been there.