1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What do you think of this way of summing up the message of Romans?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Mark Corbett, May 17, 2017.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another fiction, Romans 5:6 refers to fallen mankind, because they were yet sinners. Once a person is individually chosen through faith in the truth and set apart in Christ, they are washed with His blood, justified, made holy and blameless. No charge (such as being a child of wrath or bung a sinner) can be brought against God's elect. Therefore we were not individually elected before we lived without mercy as a child of wrath.

2. Mark Corbett

Mark Corbett Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry it has taken me so long to reply to this. I'm still learning how this forum works. Here's the verse with the word love in English:

ESV Romans 1:31 foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless.

NIV Romans 1:31 they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy.

BGT Romans 1:31 ἀσυνέτους ἀσυνθέτους ἀστόργους ἀνελεήμονας·

In ESV it is translated "heartless", but in NIV "no love". But the word in Greek is not agape, but rather astorgos.

Does this answer your question?

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Assuming the other exception is Romans 8:28, then this example in Romans 1:31 answers the question for me. A few translations render the word as heartless or unloving, but the favorite choice seems to be without natural affection.

4. Mark Corbett

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, the other exception is Romans 8:28. I really should have listed the two exceptions in the original post. Thanks for helping clarify this for anyone who reads it.

5. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Psalm 115:3. 'But our God is in heaven; He does what ever He pleases.' God desires all manner of men to be saved-- Jew and Gentile, male and female etc. (cf. Galatians 3:28). If He desired all men without exception to be saved, they would be saved, but they are clearly not.
    Indeed we do and they are. The Lord Jesus will not lose even one of those whom the Father gave to Him and for whom He died (John 17:2 etc.) and the means He has decreed for the salvation of His elect is the preaching of the word (1 Corinthians 1:21).

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good Grief, to make the bogus claim that if God desires something, then He compels that outcome is utterly bogus. God desires all people to be saved by coming to the knowledge of Truth. If we have both heard and learned from the Father, we were not compelled, but persuaded. Try to get your mind around that concept.

And no need to add to scripture, God desires every human to be saved, not every manner of human, as you rewrite falsely asserts.
    We should base our doctrine on what scripture says, not alter scripture to fit man-made doctrine.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew11:25-26. 'At that time Jesus answered and said, "I thank you , Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and prudent, and have delivered them to babes.
    Even so, Father, for so it seemed good in Your sight. All things have been delivered to Me by My Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father. Nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and the one to whom the Son wills to reveal Him."'

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think your summary position of Romans is like putty that can be made to fit any error one may choose to defend. There is Biblical love and then there is the more popular sloppy agape that many call love. Romans 1:18-3:21 justifies God's wrath, not his love toward all in Adam. Romans 3:24-11:32 carefully defines the various aspects of God's eternal purpose of redemption demonstrating it is wholly of grace and not of works. It is this basis of grace and not works that is the structural basis of true biblical love and motivation for the redeemed to love God, the brethren and others. So it is "grace" that is the major theme of Romans and Romans 11:6 would be the perfect summary of this book.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Love is one subject, but it isn't the main one. The main theme is Salvation by grace through faith.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    he denies the truth of eternal punishment/judgement, so Love has to be his main focus....

11. Mark Corbett

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've been accused of worse! :)

12. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    well, there is Robb Bell, with his ole 'Love Wins"