1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What do you think?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by trying2understand, Aug 12, 2003.

1. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

2. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

That stinkin' crooked lyin' no-good Baptist. I,m all for hangin that worthless scum. Worthless no good for nuthin...............@#%^$#@^* :mad:

3. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

4. Singer

Singer New Member

For more enlightenment of the motive of the threadstarter:

Click on trying2understand and read the answer in Line 7.

5. trying2understand

Most interesting responses.

Perhaps someone would address the question.

Can smuggling money into another country be justified?

Bibles is one thing. One could make the arguement that spreading the Word is commanded by God.

Smuggling money is something else.

Why was this person carrying so much cash?

Russia has banks don't they? Do American businesses operating in Russia smuggle money into the country or do they transfer funds through the banking system?

So again, is smuggling money like this justifiable?

6. dumbox1

dumbox1 Guest

I'd prefer to give the guy the benefit of the doubt and assume that he's just totally unfamiliar with how international monetary laws and procedures work, and made an honest (if humongous) goof about the green customs lane.

(Although, rather than carry $48 grand around in a backpack, it might have been a good idea to look into such things. Apart from any legal issues, the risk of theft might have led him to find a safer way to get the money to its intended recipients.).

7. Dan Stiles

Dan Stiles New Member

Maybe you can enlighten us as to what you really mean about his motive. Are you implying that because he is Catholic he has disparaged Baptists? Or is there some other meaning to your post which I have missed?

As it is (without your further input), I figure you are looking for some grounds on which to accuse him. And yet, it seems to me he has simply and appropriately alerted many to a story about a Baptist missionary who has refused to succumb to pressure from a perverted system, a man who will not turn over even a portion of God's gift for a oppressed church to criminal bureaucrats for bribes. I think the poster, whom you seem to see first and foremost as a "Catholic," and whom it seems you are trying to impune solely because of that, is seeking support for a Baptist! Of course, that is just my oppinion, and I know his mind no better than you do. (BTW, I do read the second post in this thread as inappropriate sarcasm. Am I wrong in that?)

Keeping to the subject; no, I don't think smuggling cash is justifiable, especially when the cash can be transferred legally. I think our brother (the missionary) made a mistake, although an understandable mistake. Having crossed boarders before, I know that certain countries are pickier than others. Russia has a crime problem and US currency is a major factor. Surely the missionary knew this.

Now, what effective measures can we take to help secure this missionary's release and get the gifts to the appropriate congregations in Russia? Letters (not phone calls, e-mails, or petitions) to US Representatives to Congress and Senators (from your own district and state) are effective in quantity. Add to that the same to the President and Secretary of State. Make sure you mention in the letters the others to whom you are writing.
    And don't forget prayer - it works better than anything else.

Finally, I'm an Evangelical Methodist, does that taint my post for any of you?

8. trying2understand

My motive was to start a discussion on the topic of smuggling money for missionary purposes.

A couple of weeks ago my father in-law told me about a friend of his (not a baptist) who has made several trips to Borneo, or some such place, to smuggle money to a mission that his church supports.

I would be interested in knowing how others feel about breaking the law to support a mission in this way.

Is it justifiable?

9. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Its kinda like the old question "Is it ok to lie to a Nazi that you are hiding a Jew in the basement." Maybe not but sometimes bad laws have to be broken.

10. trying2understand

Psalm, do you think that limiting the amount of undeclared cash that can be carried in or out of a country to be a bad law?

11. trying2understand

Can anyone explain why this person was carrying so much cash?

As I understand it, there are established Baptist churches in Russsia and there are also banks in Russia.

Would it have been illegal to wire transfer the money to a Russian bank for the mission's use?

What am I missing here?

12. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

I don't understand the reason for not wiring the money either. There is no need to carry that amount in cash.

God Bless

13. Singer

Singer New Member

Dan Stiles,

Are you implying that because he is Catholic he has disparaged
    Baptists? Or is there some other meaning to your post which I have missed?

I lived through and still are in contact with the excluvisists in the 2x2 Way that
    had a mindset similar to Catholics. Yes, they stand to be accused of directing
    criticism of those outside their circle. They are in constant defense of the RCC.
    Those minds are reprobate and do not give credit to the simple gospel. There
    is much added.

As a pastor, you need to know the ferocity behind the RCC or you may
    unsuspectingly become partial. My accusations are usually with foundation.
    Remember......the more Evangelicals that are knocked down, the greater the
    RCC rises.

As for this thread, would t2u have brought this up if the perpetrator
    had been Catholic? See the motive ?

14. Dan Stiles

Dan Stiles New Member

(deleted) I choose to withdraw from your argument.