1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What does Acts 2:38 really mean ??

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by dan p, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

What do you do with Philip and the Eunoch in Acts 8:35-37???? He was not an apostle but did "go preach the gospel" under the leadership of the Holy Spirit and administered baptism IN WATER just as the Great Commission of Christ commandes????????

2. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:
    ".... throughout the book of Acts".... never denied it. "Others than the Apostles".... never denied it. Others than the Apostles whom the Apostles laid hands on or were otherwise 'authorised' by the Apostles .... NEVER anybody else. Since there are no more apostles or their authorised; there's no more baptism by water.

3. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:
    As I said, I have no problem with that; they were of the generation of Apostleship of the 'first' Christians, and directly or personally even, connected with the Apostles themselves. (See e.g. BB Warfield 'The Work of Christ')

4. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

GE:
    It's the same argument you brought up earlier. You are contradicting yourself.

5. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:
    John uses the Present - ongoing time-aspect. If you interpret the Present as a Past Tense it even more says Jesus did baptise with the Holy Spirirt. I am sure you do not really want to deny it? The fact Matthew didn't say it, do you want to insinuate Jesus never did it? Do you imply Jesus ministered without effect upon the hearts and lives of people? Because that is what it means if Jesus never baptised with the Holy Spirit before Pentecost.

#125 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Jul 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2010
  6. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:
    It's almost half past two in the morning in our world; think it's bed-time for me now. Thanks Dr Walter for this civilised and nice conversation. Please remember I despite my differences with God's Church still strongly and affectionately hold to our Reformed Protestant Christian heritage and Church Body. I LOVE Christ's Own.

God bless

7. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

It is not the apostles who authorized or gave the commission but Christ!! He did not give it to the apostles as a selective body as the Scriptures refer to them as "disciples" in Matthew 28:16 not "apostles." Furthermore, there is plenty of evidence that all those listed in Acts 1:15-18 were there on that mountain and it was given to HIS CHURCH. Note that Matthew 18:17-18 applies the "keys of the kingdom" to the church not to the ordained members or the Apostles. Your position is just simply error.